I purchased a Kyokushin Gi ?

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Kyokushin Gi jacket did not have tie strings on the sides to keep it closed. I assumed it was just an oversight by someone. I purchased some bias tape and made some ties and sewed them to the jacket top. While not as nice as the ones that came on my other GI's they have worked fine. Althought they probabvly wont be as durable as manufactured ones. Then I saw a post on a forum that someone purchased a Kyokushin Gi and it did not come with side ties. So is this normal? I am learning a different style of karate. Thanks.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah that's normal bud. When Sosai Oyama developed the Kyokushin dogi, he removed all ties as he liked the idea of the gi flying apart in really spirited kumite. From what I've heard that's the reason haha.

Just tie your belt super tight over the gi ;)

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I lack the historical perspective, but the two types of kyokushin gi I have all have side ties. And they are very practical. I wouldn't want a gi without it. I don't recall if I ever seen any partners with gi without side ties. For me, I'd say side ties is the normal, but then I have only doing kyokushin for 2 years.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he liked the idea of the gi flying apart in really spirited kumite. From what I've heard that's the reason haha.
I want to make inappropriate comments about my hopes, on a warm day in the park, when the ladies are wearing flimsy summer dresses, but I won’t 😑

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to spend an inordinately large amount of time worrying about what you wear. Have you considered the possibility that you're overthinking what is, ultimately, a pair of sweatpants?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You seem to spend an inordinately large amount of time worrying about what you wear. Have you considered the possibility that you're overthinking what is, ultimately, a pair of sweatpants?
😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, overthinking....I have been accused of that my whole life. So it's probably true.

Since I retired I spens a LOT of time surfing the internet, probably 8 hours a day or more. Did I hear someone say ADDITCTION? I am also frugil (cheap), most of my life out of necessity (poor). So I am also a bargin hunter. Put it all together........I received the Sun GI when I signed up for Karate, no problem. Then I looked around and noticed what others were wearing, brands. But being frugil I started looking on line for slightly used GI's being sold for less than new prices. There are some real bargins out there, if you can find them. The GI top in question cost me $15 size 4. But when it came it was to small, must have shrunk when washed incorrectly. But it was only $15. I gave it to another student who was excited to get it.

I found a "Karate uniform, heavyweight cotton $40" on facebook market place! Turned out to be a Toyko Shureido. But seller doesent ship, pick up only. They are in Sunnyvale, Ca., and I am in Michigan. so That didn't work out but the search was fun. Currently my time is free. what else can I do. I post questions on various forms. Thanks

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I retired I spens a LOT of time surfing the internet, probably 8 hours a day or more.
You should be training, stretching, practising your coordination, punching and kicking to make progress! Now turn that computer off!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, overthinking....I have been accused of that my whole life. So it's probably true.

Since I retired I spens a LOT of time surfing the internet, probably 8 hours a day or more. Did I hear someone say ADDITCTION? I am also frugil (cheap), most of my life out of necessity (poor). So I am also a bargin hunter. Put it all together........I received the Sun GI when I signed up for Karate, no problem. Then I looked around and noticed what others were wearing, brands. But being frugil I started looking on line for slightly used GI's being sold for less than new prices. There are some real bargins out there, if you can find them. The GI top in question cost me $15 size 4. But when it came it was to small, must have shrunk when washed incorrectly. But it was only $15. I gave it to another student who was excited to get it.

I found a "Karate uniform, heavyweight cotton $40" on facebook market place! Turned out to be a Toyko Shureido. But seller doesent ship, pick up only. They are in Sunnyvale, Ca., and I am in Michigan. so That didn't work out but the search was fun. Currently my time is free. what else can I do. I post questions on various forms. Thanks
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that if the goal is to become proficient in your chosen art, that time might be better spent training instead of shopping.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me that if the goal is to become proficient in your chosen art, that time might be better spent training instead of shopping.
That’s the case for those of us who are obsessed with our arts, but most people in the MA like the gear, the belts, the snappy punches and kicks, the camaraderie etc.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, most people only have the motivation/energy/recovery capacity/etc to spend a certain number of hours training per week. The remaining free time can go towards activities such as shopping for martial arts gear and chatting on martial arts forums.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, overthinking....I have been accused of that my whole life.
So have I, but I think there is no such thing! Such accusations consistently come from people that underthink everything ;)

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So have I, but I think there is no such thing! Such accusations consistently come from people that underthink everything ;)
Doers and ruminators. How we can be described depends upon what we‘re trying to achieve. Investing my money? Ruminator. Choosing a keikogi? Somewhere in the middle of the two. Asking a pretty girl out I’ve spied in a geology evening class? Doer (so I can do her).

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Asking a pretty girl out I’ve spied in a geology evening class? Doer (so I can do her)."

I think my wife would have an opinion on that!

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Asking a pretty girl out I’ve spied in a geology evening class? Doer (so I can do her)."

I think my wife would have an opinion on that!
You don’t tell her!🙄

OP
opr1945

opr1945

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when others we try to decieve. Said someone smarter than me.

Latest Discussions