i need help with fighting a bigger opponent

grumpywolfman

Black Belt
Reaction score
my friend weighs about 250 im pure muscle and i weight about 165
he is really stong on puching and kicking he moves quick for a big guy and has average endurance
in our last sparring match (we go full contact) i tried to keep my distance but i can win if keep my distance but if i get close it only takes 1 good punch in my face and i would get knocked out and i really need help
i know i need to get stronger and faster but does anyone have any techniques or strategies or anything that would be good against a bigger opponent

#1 "My friend the monster"
#2 "We are sparring"

My advice under these two conditions is to keep moving, keep your distance, and to use stop/push kicks to his thigh or hips to maintain distance (only as needed), until you can take him to the ground and subdue him as quickly as possible.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the folks who are basically saying to stay off the end of his strikes. That is a range that won't do you any good.
Also, I would work the angles like crazy. Straight in and out is hazardous to your health. Move right or left and end up slightly behind his ribs. You can work in strikes from there and keep moving to get out of range. This is one of my all time favorite tactics when fighting a larger opponent.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Anytime you fight someone bigger and stronger than yourself, you're at a disadvantage. You need to be better than he is in almost every respect to win.

So how do you beat a bigger opponent? You need to be better than the bigger opponent.

Latest Discussions