if anyone can post some links or post somthing 2 help me it would be a big help
i know how 2 block but not very good so plz help
thank you

OP
fenix

fenix

White Belt
Reaction score
im not learning any style because i belive in what bruce lee said be formless so i dont have a form i like 2 learn how other ppl fight and put what i like about it into my fighting
the proble is most people i see fighting arent very good at blocking

Taiji_Mantis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, please. A little more information would be quite helpful.
Are you trying to block in point sparring? Continuous? Contact? What style are you practicing, because there are infinite variations on the "block."

OP
fenix

fenix

White Belt
Reaction score
oh im want to block for full contact
im going to be in mma tournaments soon kind of like ufc but not as good
but i need to know how 2 block if i get in a fight on the street 2 because thats where u really need 2 watch out

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even Bruce Lee trained in a style for twenty years before discarding it. Any of us could help you but we would have to teach a bit of our system.
Sean

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody beat me to this... (Touch of Death DID beat me... by moments! We cross posted...)

Bruce Lee moved from structured to formless; he kept what was (to him) best of it. You need the proper structure and body dynamics to develop the skills you need, and that, almost without exception, takes a teacher or coach who can look at what you're doing, and show you the right and wrong of it.

Blocking is a complex art in and of itself... Are you having trouble seeing incoming strikes? Recognizing movement? Identifying the line or target of the attack you need to block on? Making an effective block that'll actually stop something without hurting yourself? (Frank Shamrock can tell you how important that is!) Or something else entirely? Without being able to see you and see what you're doing or not doing, it's hard to offer you advice.

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fenix, many people who train every day arent that good at blocking. You need a school, and many many hours of practice under the guidance of an instructor.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I will not go into what Bruce Lee did since it has been covered quite well already. But I think what you are asking about in this post and your other one on the same topic is Chi Sau which is part of Wing Chun and not something you just jump into and learn. From what I am told Siu Lum Tao is first and I have also been told by those that went further (as Bruce Lee certainly did) that if you are doing Chi Sau when all you have is Siu Lum Tao against someone who has Chum Kiu you are going to loose.

There is a lot you need to learn to get to where Bruce Lee was in order to get to his style of blocking and Siu lum Tao, Chum Kiu and Chi sau are only the beginning. Oh and there is Bil Jee too.

davj22

White Belt
Reaction score
You might want to investigate looking into learning how to redirect and pass punches, kicks, and strikes as opposed to blocking. That can often times be a much more efficient and effective way for countering attacks than blocking.

Moreover, the habit of blocking in the context of street combat becomes very problematic very quickly against weapons such as knivers, bats, and machetes. In the street ... blocking should be your very last resort.
It's usually better to redirect the attack, pass the attack, or stop the energy at the source by attacking the shoulder joint when someone is punching or the hip joint when someone is kicking. It takes a lot less energy, strength, and your less likely to injure yourself while initiating a counter-attack.

Hope that is helpful.

Lee Mainprize

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The main thing to get right with blocking is just deflect that attack and ensure your blocking hand comes straight back up to guard. Beginners tend to drop both hands when practicing blocking combo's its a bad habit to avoid.

thegatekeeper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody beat me to this... (Touch of Death DID beat me... by moments! We cross posted...)

Bruce Lee moved from structured to formless; he kept what was (to him) best of it. You need the proper structure and body dynamics to develop the skills you need, and that, almost without exception, takes a teacher or coach who can look at what you're doing, and show you the right and wrong of it.

Blocking is a complex art in and of itself... Are you having trouble seeing incoming strikes? Recognizing movement? Identifying the line or target of the attack you need to block on? Making an effective block that'll actually stop something without hurting yourself? (Frank Shamrock can tell you how important that is!) Or something else entirely? Without being able to see you and see what you're doing or not doing, it's hard to offer you advice.

This. You need to get yourself in a gym of your chosen art (I think you will like Boxing) where your Sensei can see your form and correct you. Trust me do this before you learn any bad habits.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Block the punches with your face eventually your opponent will
Tire out making you the Victor. To help build endurance to taking
Fist to the face punch yourself repeatedly.
This is far more effective than teaching yourself to block.

Latest Discussions