I joined Black Belt Club

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
My contract with C.S. Kim Karate (1-year, which I renew every year) means that I can train at any C.S. Kim dojang, as often as I want (I try for 4 classes every week). We do have a "Black Belt Club," called the Yu Jung Dan, or something like that, which I keep meaning to join but haven't gotten around to yet. They have special functions - picnics and outings - for members. Doesn't really interest me. I just need the training.

Whatever works for you, though. So long as you're getting the training you want, go for it.

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just want to say thank God that I am in Korea! I am very greatful for the class that I am in here. My instructor is Korean has been training for 40yrs in Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, and others. I am also happy about the fact that there are NO contracts. I can get out whenever I want, WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN. He holds class 10x's a week, M-F twice a day. Got to remember that I'm on a military installation, and we can attend every class if we wanted to and not have to pay extra. I attend class every single day (5x's a week) and everyone only pays $50 a month. I am dreading going back to the states. I have grown up in MA doing different styles but had to get out do to parental finances. But I mainly love the fact that I can train every single day instead of only 1-3 times a week. Even if I had to pay more, I would. I guess what I am trying to say is that I hate the fact that most schools I've been to or seen only allow you to come to class a certain amount of days per week or even per month or require you to sign a LONG term contract just to attend 1 or 2 extra classes. That's just my rants and raves about contracts. Like I said, depending on the situation, I would prolly do it to, but I try to steer from them as much as possible. I do, however, wish you the best of luck!!!!!

Tang Soo!

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My contract with C.S. Kim Karate (1-year, which I renew every year) means that I can train at any C.S. Kim dojang, as often as I want (I try for 4 classes every week). We do have a "Black Belt Club," called the Yu Jung Dan, or something like that, which I keep meaning to join but haven't gotten around to yet. They have special functions - picnics and outings - for members. Doesn't really interest me. I just need the training.

Whatever works for you, though. So long as you're getting the training you want, go for it.

You are lucky. I joined BBC so I could get the extra training days.

Picnics and outings wouldn't interest me. Pffft.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I just want to say thank God that I am in Korea! I am very greatful for the class that I am in here. My instructor is Korean has been training for 40yrs in Tang Soo Do, Hapkido, and others. I am also happy about the fact that there are NO contracts. I can get out whenever I want, WHICH WILL NEVER HAPPEN. He holds class 10x's a week, M-F twice a day. Got to remember that I'm on a military installation, and we can attend every class if we wanted to and not have to pay extra. I attend class every single day (5x's a week) and everyone only pays $50 a month. I am dreading going back to the states. I have grown up in MA doing different styles but had to get out do to parental finances. But I mainly love the fact that I can train every single day instead of only 1-3 times a week. Even if I had to pay more, I would. I guess what I am trying to say is that I hate the fact that most schools I've been to or seen only allow you to come to class a certain amount of days per week or even per month or require you to sign a LONG term contract just to attend 1 or 2 extra classes. That's just my rants and raves about contracts. Like I said, depending on the situation, I would prolly do it to, but I try to steer from them as much as possible. I do, however, wish you the best of luck!!!!!

Tang Soo!
I don't like the limit on days either because if we are committed we want and need those extra days.

Maybe you'll find a school like JT's where you can take unlimited classes. They do exist.

Here is an example of how one schools works. Registration fees can be a bugger - not sure all schools have them. But $150 every six months or $195 (12 months is definitely the deal) for 12 months, + $65.00 a month tuition is not unusual. $65.00 would cover two classes a week. One class a week would be $32.50 a month. Maybe you will be able to get good instruction for less $$. Those registration fees are paid each year or every six months while training. Some schools charge 50 - 60% less for additional family members. Testing fees at my school are $25. I don't know what Dan fees are. Also, at orange belt level we pay $35 to join the ATA in addition to our test fee.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
AS others have posted: if you're happy than it is a good thing...Prior to my BB there weren't any of these programs available...the only thing was pay up front 6 mos and get 3 mos free....I took full advantage of this every time I had saved up a little money...made good financial sense to...I knew I wasn't going anywhere...the school had a very strong position so I wasn't worried about them taking the money and run type thing.....
Go for it!!!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know many have a bad taste in their mouth about Black Belt Clubs (BBC) for various reasons.

I had a one-year contract. BBC extends my contract another 3 years. My tuition is locked in. I already have a good deal as my tuition is about 60% less than my daughter's (additional family member deal). If I move or have a medical condition that prohibits training, the contract is void.

Our school is not a McDojang. It is possible to acquire a Black Belt in 3-1/2 - 4 years with a lot of hard work in our school...not one year; I've heard the stories about schools cranking out black belts in a year. I don't know if that's true. Hope not.

If I pass all of my spotlights, midterms and tests, I will be at 6th gup, first level of green belt in our school, in a little less than a year's time from my enrollment (approximately 10 months - 2 months at white belt; 2 months at yellow belt; 6 months at orange belt). It is not a fast course. And people do fail their spotlights, midterms, and tests.

In our school, BBC is not an "elite" club within the school. I don't think that the philosophy of Moo Duk Kwan would support "elitism."

There are perks though. One can train as often as they like. That's what I am after, training three times a week versus two. BBC is the cheapest way to do that and since I plan on getting my black belt, why not? I love training. And I can use the physical exercise.

Other perks are the activities and events held during BBC week. I'm interested in learning the higher forms, the Chil-Sung forms. I could even complete and do a Chil-Sung form versus a form at my current level if I choose to compete.

Eh...we learn shoulder rolls, somersaults, barrel rolls, and one-hand stands, etc. I'll probably stink at those but it will be fun to try. To be honest, I'm not so sure I'm interested in the acrobatics. I have an inner ear problem and a mental block to go with it.

There are special clinics such as board-breaking clinics. Also, BBC members are allowed to attend sparring-only classes.

Does that sound like a bad deal to you?
I have mixed feelings about this type of billing; however, if you are a serious martial artist, and I have read your posts indicating such, you can just look at it as a commitment to training. On the other hand if you are still dabbling and are thinking about joining a nice kenpo school:))) instead, the Black Belt club is not for you. It sounds as if your school is a member of United Proffessionals. They are simply a billing agency, they don't hold your contract in Florida like you are told, but they do offer your instructor excellent advice on keeping the school open and making sure the students pay their bill. Black Belt clubs help keep schools open.
Sean

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't like the limit on days either because if we are committed we want and need those extra days.

Maybe you'll find a school like JT's where you can take unlimited classes. They do exist.

Here is an example of how one schools works. Registration fees can be a bugger - not sure all schools have them. But $150 every six months or $195 (12 months is definitely the deal) for 12 months, + $65.00 a month tuition is not unusual. $65.00 would cover two classes a week. One class a week would be $32.50 a month. Maybe you will be able to get good instruction for less $$. Those registration fees are paid each year or every six months while training. Some schools charge 50 - 60% less for additional family members. Testing fees at my school are $25. I don't know what Dan fees are. Also, at orange belt level we pay $35 to join the ATA in addition to our test fee.

I pay $75 per month for my contract, but there are family discounts, even if it's just one extra person. Just for an example.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this type of billing; however, if you are a serious martial artist, and I have read your posts indicating such, you can just look at it as a commitment to training. On the other hand if you are still dabbling and are thinking about joining a nice kenpo school:))) instead, the Black Belt club is not for you. It sounds as if your school is a member of United Proffessionals. They are simply a billing agency, they don't hold your contract in Florida like you are told, but they do offer your instructor excellent advice on keeping the school open and making sure the students pay their bill. Black Belt clubs help keep schools open.
Sean
Exactly - I'm committed to training so it's a deal for me. I really love what I'm doing and have no desire to dabble in any other training. I admit MA overall is fascinating. If there were 72 hours in a day....

It is nice that some schools offer more than two classes a week and don't require contracts.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I pay $75 per month for my contract, but there are family discounts, even if it's just one extra person. Just for an example.
That sounds like a very good deal since you can take unlimited classes. The family discount thing is great. My tuition is about 60% less than my daughter's tuition. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford lessons.

Latest Discussions