I have noticed on more than one .......

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by C.E.Jackson
Look here for more info Ed Parker's "original 32 technique" system.
http://www.familymartialartscenter.com/original/Original.htm

Well........... ok, The article stated "Mr. Parker's students compiled various sets such
as the Striking Set, Stance Set, and Kicking Set".

Yes, that is true.... Tom Kelly (one of Mr. Parker's students) devised the Kicking Set #1, Chuck Sullivan (one of Mr. Parker's students) developed the Staff set, Fact is, along the way through the evolution of Ed Parker's American Kenpo, he had several students that contributed to the development of the "system", which includes the Forms, and Self Defense Techniques. If you think that Ed Parker developed all the 32 Technique Curriculum solo..... you are unfortunately mistaken. Mr. Parker invited many minds to aid and give opinions as well as his great initial instruction.

The article also stated; "Since these sets were not created by Mr. Parker, he was only minimally aware of their content."

I have said this before and I will state it once again..... For anyone to believe that Ed Parker did not know the content of the material he personally inserted into his system, never studied with the man personally otherwise you would know that if he didn't find value in the drills in question....... they would not have been added to "HIS" system, which he was extremely proud of.

The genius of Ed Parker was the fact that he sought several opinions and validations from his own students. In addition, he felt strongly enough in their own thinking and reasoning ability to use LOGIC and "bring back" to him their thoughts and ideas (thus the reason for the requiring of a written and form thesis) to evaluate and "master mind" with several not just one.

The result is the System we have today. It certainly had Ed Parker written all over it but he allowed us to continue to evolve it with him. He was wise enough to allow Tom Kelly, Huk Planas, Skip Hancock, Paul Mills, Bryan Hawkins, Roger Meadows, Steve LaBounty, Frank Trejo, Mike Pick (which I believe instructed Len Broussard for a period of time while in Mississippi I believe) and a host of others that I have left off but not forgotten, to play leading rolls during this process.

:asian:

C

C.E.Jackson

As always I seek others perspectives and knowledge about Ed Parkers American Kenpo System as this is the system I have chosen to pass on to my students. I am aware there differing opinions as to the value of the various "systems" of Mr. Parker's American Kenpo now in play.

Some would say that the "16" system is not Mr. Parker's System,

Some would say the "32" system in not Mr. Parkers's system,

Some would say the "24" system is outdated.

I teach all 250 (plus 3 that were dropped) Self Defense Techniques knowing not all of these were personnally developed by Mr. Parker.

I include Forms 1-6 and selected "Sets"

All the Forms (1-6) and Techniques (256) are required for Black Belt First Degree at my school.

When my students venture beyond my instruction they will of course need to conform to thier new Instructors's requirements. My First Degree Black Belt may find themselves testing for 5th Degree Black under some of the "systems" in play today under another Instructor's System.
When they do so they will certainly need to know the additional material required. (additional sets)

As I understand it the "Sets" were developed as a teaching aid rather than for any catagory needs. I use all the Sets than aid me in passing on Mr. Parker's System.

I beleve that the "essence" of Mr. Parker's System rests within the Forms and Techniques.

It is on these I focus my attention.

I respect and welcome other's opinions and perspectives.

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Well........... ok, The article stated "Mr. Parker's students compiled various sets such
as the Striking Set, Stance Set, and Kicking Set".

Yes, that is true.... Tom Kelly (one of Mr. Parker's students) devised the Kicking Set #1, Chuck Sullivan (one of Mr. Parker's students) developed the Staff set, Fact is, along the way through the evolution of Ed Parker's American Kenpo, he had several students that contributed to the development of the "system", which includes the Forms, and Self Defense Techniques. If you think that Ed Parker developed all the 32 Technique Curriculum solo..... you are unfortunately mistaken. Mr. Parker invited many minds to aid and give opinions as well as his great initial instruction.

The article also stated; "Since these sets were not created by Mr. Parker, he was only minimally aware of their content."

I have said this before and I will state it once again..... For anyone to believe that Ed Parker did not know the content of the material he personally inserted into his system, never studied with the man personally otherwise you would know that if he didn't find value in the drills in question....... they would not have been added to "HIS" system, which he was extremely proud of.

The genius of Ed Parker was the fact that he sought several opinions and validations from his own students. In addition, he felt strongly enough in their own thinking and reasoning ability to use LOGIC and "bring back" to him their thoughts and ideas (thus the reason for the requiring of a written and form thesis) to evaluate and "master mind" with several not just one.

The result is the System we have today. It certainly had Ed Parker written all over it but he allowed us to continue to evolve it with him. He was wise enough to allow Tom Kelly, Huk Planas, Skip Hancock, Paul Mills, Bryan Hawkins, Roger Meadows, Steve LaBounty, Frank Trejo, Mike Pick (which I believe instructed Len Broussard for a period of time while in Mississippi I believe) and a host of others that I have left off but not forgotten, to play leading rolls during this process.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr. Parker had a saying...... never throw out anything......... file it. It will fall under one of 3 categories..... either Useful, Unuseful or useless....... lol.

I know and understand that the history of our awesome art is clouded with misunderstandings & misinterpretations due to the unique evolution of how we are where we are. Many have taken verbatim text or verbiage and not completely understood what Ed Parker was saying. He would even get frustrated because he felt at times he was not getting through to some...... but forged on anyway. Thank God!

I believe everything has value...... some of course much more than others........ some is to be Mastered.... some to be skilled with and still other material just to have some knowledge of is enough.

I like you have also heard the statements on the 32, 24 and 16 technique based curriculums. Well the fact of the matter is....... they ALL are good...... they are all the same stuff just divvied up differently. As Mr. Parker saw fit due to "field experiments" with various studios all over the country and world..... he would get feedback and if the times required adjustment of the curriculums..... he did what was in his opinion necessary..... One thing he didn't change was the basics and standards of HIS art. The 154/5 base of Techniques ~ Forms & Sets, are the standard of 90 % of Kenpo today. However, what you want to teach is up to you since he no longer is here to offer his opinion.

While he was alive I can tell you that he had students doing the 32 system, the 24 System, and was hearing great reviews on the 16 technique system that was new and he liked, and had no problem with any them.... rather he focused on the "execution and betterment of the basics and principles of the material" involved which is the same with all of the curriculums.

Latest Discussions