I have a dream

M

Mon Mon

Do you think our society has achieved Martin Luther King Jr's Dream of a color blind soecity? Why or Why not.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. Racial profiling still exists. As witnessed in Michigan recently, 'quota' systems for minority admissions still exist. A recent study showed that it was beneficial to have a 'white' name. The different ethnic groups in the U.S. further segregate themselves by having 'ethnic only' groups. While this does help preserve elements of their respective cultures and allows a sense of ethnic community, it alienates everyone else. There is still some stigma attached to interracial marriages and relationships.

The faults for this lie with everyone, both the racial 'majority' and the ethnic 'minority'. I don't think we'll see a true color blind nation in our lifetimes. Hopefully it will be different for our children.

Cthulhu

OP
C

chufeng

I don't think a "color-blind" society is what we really want.
I appreciate the differences other ethnic groups and races bring to this society...and I think that is the key to harmony...seeing the differences and appreciating the contributions everyone makes.

On the other hand, I see so many times where people will use the color of their skin to gain advantage (white, black, tan, yellow...etc.). This kind of discrimination is WRONG...we all are human...we all are children of God...(for those who are atheists, we all are children of the original human DNA chain)...and the differences we see are largely superficial.

Happy MLK day (early)

:asian:
chufeng

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
I know for a fact that we have not acheived this. Where I work, we recently had to terminate one of our employees. We were TOLD that we had to replace him with a minority. Fortunately, a very good friend of mine fit the bill and he has accepted the position.

OP
Y

yilisifu

It is not, perhaps, as overt as it once was, but it is still there.....I must agree with Chufeng.

OP
F

fringe_dweller

People always look at differences as a justification to feelings of jealousy. Until people stop feeling threatened or the differences disappear racial slurs will be around.

Respectfully,

OP
C

chufeng

Until people stop feeling threatened or the differences disappear racial slurs will be around.

Differences won't disappear...so that leaves the question on HOW to get people to stop feeling threatened by those differences...

It really boils down to personal self-confidence...
If I am comfortable with who I am...it doesn't really matter what other people think...
But, if I have to put down someone else to somehow "elevate" myself...I am really only showing how small I really am...

What man (or woman) has any right greater than another man?
No one...yet, some still think they do...

How could slavery ever exist???

But it did...in many lands...

-in Egypt, Jews were enslaved...
-in China, servants were bought and sold...
-in Africa, One tribe would capture members of rival tribes and force them into labor...treated them like animals...
-the Monguls used those who they conquered to do the menial tasks and also put them on the front lines (like fodder) to deplete the weapons of those they would attack next.
-and of course the Europeans, and the Americans have a history of "owning" people, too...and it wasn't just Blacks that were victims of the superiority of a class society...Chinese, Philippinos, Other Caucasians, and countless others...(I am not trying to minimize any one peoples' suffering...just pointing out that the problem spans all people)

Today, there are still countries in Africa that trade in slaves...
Today, there are still countries in Southeast Asia that sell children into brothels...
Today, there are those who hide behind a twisted interpretation of their religion to justify atrocities against women...

Where does change need to start?

I start with the man in the mirror...
and then treat others as brothers and sisters...
and try and live in such a way that I am an example to others...
I don't preach...
I don't judge (well maybe sometimes, a little bit...but I'm working on it)...

:asian:
chufeng

OP
M

Mike Clarke

Hey Chufeng,

You missed out at least two of the good old U.S.of A's top profiteers from [what I call slavery anyway], Nike and Gap the sports clothing giants.
They get their clothing made in third world countries [Asia mostly] and make hige profits from those who have to work in dreadful conditions with very little in the way of human rites. Some workers as young 12 years old working six days a week for up to 15 hours a day, just so we in the West can look 'cool' in over priced s**t! and the company can keep the shareholders happy.

In order to get around the 'Made in the USA' tag, there are factories on the American island of Saipan in the Pacific, that brings contract labour out from China [amongst other places] and treats them like slaves.The workers sign contracts than ban them from things we take for granted.

As for we humans ever getting our house in order and treating people as we would like to be treated ourself, I think we have about another two million years of evolution to go yet before that happens. We're a pack animal and we always behave this way.

It's not right, and I don't condone it or act on it, but I understand it is [at this point in time] still part of everyones 'basic nature' to see those who are in some way different, as being less important.

Maybe one day we will get things right, but I doubt anyone on this forum, or their kids, will be alive to see it.

Peace and love to all.
Mike

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't believe we have reached the pinnacle of acceptance as equal. There are far too many out there still that think one race is better than another. That's just a bunch of crap. No one person is any better or worse than any other. We all have our own destiny some people take advantage of their opportunities and some don't. Some things are just plain easier for some and not for others.

Latest Discussions