I Have a Different Question

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What you're saying is wrong, Sean. "They came up with the levers" to move rocks. "Machine" is the root of "machination," and I've explained the roots of "machine" up thread, as well as how they predate theater and papier mache....

,.......are you guys just pushing my buttons today? Nevermind....:lfao:
Not so, but believe what you want. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always like gizmo, gadget and dojigger myself, though the last has fallen into disuse. When speaking of the A-bomb, it's inventors called it "the gadget."

Gizmo only dates back to 1942, and first crops up in U.S. Marine and Navy usage at that time-it's of unknown origin (though it might be from one of Shakespeare's first drafts of Titus Andronicus,:

"She is a woman, therefore may be woo'd;
She is a woman, therefore may be won;
She is Lavinia, therefore must be loved.
What, man! more water glideth by the gizmo
Than wots the gizmoder of; and easy it is
Of a cut loaf to steal a shive"

Of course, "mill," (a kind of machine that existed before the theater or papier mache) scans better, as does "miller.":lfao:

Doohickey, of course, first enters the U.S. lexicon around 1914, a combination of doodad, and, oddly enough, dingbat, which was first used around 1840 for an alcoholic beverage whose recipe has been lost to time, but later came to mean many other things.....

Speaking of slang, machine is the only word in the English language used as a euphemism for both male and female genitalia......

....of course, in this context, when I think of some people, I'll always think of papier mache...:lfao: .,

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always like gizmo, gadget and dojigger myself, though the last has fallen into disuse. When speaking of the A-bomb, it's inventors called it "the gadget."

Gizmo only dates back to 1942, and first crops up in U.S. Marine and Navy usage at that time-it's of unknown origin (though it might be from one of Shakespeare's first drafts of Titus Andronicus,:

"She is a woman, therefore may be woo'd;
She is a woman, therefore may be won;
She is Lavinia, therefore must be loved.
What, man! more water glideth by the gizmo
Than wots the gizmoder of; and easy it is
Of a cut loaf to steal a shive"

Of course, "mill," (a kind of machine that existed before the theater or papier mache) scans better, as does "miller.":lfao:

Doohickey, of course, first enters the U.S. lexicon around 1914, a combination of doodad, and, oddly enough, dingbat, which was first used around 1840 for an alcoholic beverage whose recipe has been lost to time, but later came to mean many other things.....

Speaking of slang, machine is the only word in the English language used as a euphemism for both male and female genitalia......
So exactly what date did they invent entertainment? How is it that anything you mention exists before it? :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
So exactly what date did they invent entertainment? How is it that anything you mention exists before it? :)

Are you serious, Sean? You spoke of theater, after all, not simply "entertainment," and, historically speaking, theater is only about 2500 years old.....a few thousand more years if you want to count the use of theatrics in religious ritual and initiation, which most historians of the art form agree is where theater's origins lie.

If you want to speak of "entertainment" then it dates back to the caveman first taking that lever, and turning into a club (another sort of machine which probably predated the lever and theater) and bashing an enemy in the head with it, turning them into some sort of grisly piñataPinatas, of course, are made of papier mache......you win! :lfao:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
have you guys been imbibing?

I leave for a day and we are discussing theater/entertainment from the original question for synonyms and translations of thingamajigger....

<scratches head>

I can't leave you guys alone for one second, can I!

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought the same thing but reckoned it was safer to just let it flow {couldn't shake the feeling there were a few 'pages' missing) :lol:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I got some not-too-cheap red open, I think you and I have to play catch-up with the rest!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
I got some not-too-cheap red open, I think you and I have to play catch-up with the rest!

No drinking in my instance, just a severe case of the "up all nights." There's green chili chicken in the crockpot, today, though...and Stone Ruination IPA to wash it down-I've not found many wines that will stand up to a proper green chili.....though if I toned down the chili a bit(as if!!!!), Salice Salentino or a Montepulciano might do quite nicely....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No drinking in my instance, just a severe case of the "up all nights." There's green chili chicken in the crockpot, today, though...and Stone Ruination IPA to wash it down-I've not found many wines that will stand up to a proper green chili.....though if I toned down the chili a bit(as if!!!!), Salice Salentino or a Montepulciano might do quite nicely....
I was also arguing from my phone on a grave shift in the middle of the night. Thanks it was fun, but I really did read all this stuff in my mis-spent youth.
Sean

Latest Discussions