I had no idea I'd enjoy it this much!

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the injury as well.

FYI, did you know that the Professor would teach and drill his students while both were seated face to face?

I have done this as well and it's also a pretty cool way of sharpening reflexes while aiding the students to concentrating on what the upper body is doing.

Please always consider what you doctor has ordered but if you are able to do this safely, it can keep you going in the meantime.

I didn't know that! Can you please elaborate? Any Youtube links I can go look at? That's an AWESOME idea - I'll ask about it when I go to class tonight with my hubby (staying home by myself is a little scary to me right now).

My doctor looked at me all of 10 seconds and ordered 3 months. We'll see what the orthopedic surgeon says on Friday, but honestly, I can't see any reason why I can't practice sitting down - I just can't support my own weight right now standing up.

All I know is, I have to do something. I can't just sit around - this has become too important to my emotional and mental well being!

arnisador said:
I too learned this high-middle-low drill from the Prof. as the 6-count drill, and there's a standard 10-count extension of it in many arts that goes something like 12-3-8-5-7ish (the last one is more an abaniko to the head than a true backhand poke). Many arts call it sumbrada. There are lots of variations.

Thanks for the information.

While I'm sidelined, are there any good books you guys can recommend with the drills as the Prof taught them?

Last edited:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah,

We learned this with a #12, #1, and #4 strike!

You can still do this seated. Also it would be good to do that drill seated with training knives and eye protection.

Here are some other drills that you can do seated:
#1 - #12 Disarms (both seated, or one standing).
- I actually had a student in a defense situation who had to perform a disarm seated on his backside (emptyhand vs pool que).

#1 - #12 Blocks
- Block-Check-Counter.
- Block-Check-Counter-For-Counter.
- Block-Check-Counter-Release.
- Payong Striking/Blocking Drill (Downward Figure-8 feeds, upper Figure-8 blocks)
- Payong Parry Drill (Downward Figure-8 feeds, first use payongs to parry the stick, then the arm ) - there are other combinations too (double handed - truncheon type parries). The last combination leads to...

- Abanico Corto (left and right) - in response to a #1 or #2 strike. That leads to...
- Abanico Corto with a Power Figure-8, present, strip (the stick), and trap the hands. You can then transition to an armbar or backwards lock when you are able to.

Empty Hand drills:
- Trapping hands
- Six Count
- Tapi-Tapi #1 and #2.
- Hubad
- Abanico Corto/ Double Action (Check the videos)
- Sinawali Boxing Drills
- Sinawali Empty Hands (Patty-Cake) Drills
- Joint Lock Flows (modification might be needed)

Don't know if there are any footage of these things.

Also, from a self-protection perspective, this might be a good exercise to train in a dis-advantaged state, if you can
do so safely without furthering or lengthening your recuperation.

Take care,

Guro Harold

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yeah,

We learned this with a #12, #1, and #4 strike!

You can still do this seated. Also it would be good to do that drill seated with training knives and eye protection.

Here are some other drills that you can do seated:
#1 - #12 Disarms (both seated, or one standing).
- I actually had a student in a defense situation who had to perform the a disarm on his his back (emptyhand vs pool que).

#1 - #12 Blocks
- Block-Check-Counter.
- Block-Check-Counter-For-Counter
- Block-Check-Counter-Release
- Payong Striking/Blocking Drill (Downward Figure-8 feeds, upper Figure-8 blocks)
- Payong Parry Drill (Downward Figure-8 feeds, first use payongs to parry the stick, then the arm ) - there are other combinations too (double handed - truncheon type parries). The last combination leads to...

- Abanico Corto (left and right) - in response to a #1 or #2 strike. That leads to...
- Abanico Corto with a Power Figure-8, present, strip (the stick), and trap the hands. You can then transition to an armbar or backwards lock when you are able to.

Don't know if there are any footage of these things.

Take care,

Guro Harold

Thanks a bunch!! I haven't tried figure-8 yet.

I'm very much looking forward to it!

OP
TwentyThree

TwentyThree

Green Belt
Reaction score
There are lots of videos/DVDs, but for books, there's mainly the Yellow book (that link shows a newer, non-yellow cover) and the books by Dan Anderson. Consider getting the DVDs!

The Yellow Book is already on order, and I'll definitely look into Dan Anderson's books as well.

Books are more portable than DVD's are, and I have to travel for work next week.

Although of course I've already ordered a bunch of DVD's too! :)

Thanks again!

Latest Discussions