i feel mma can present struggles for further study at particular, non mma martial arts

rframe

Green Belt
Reaction score
What on earth does that have to do with the topic?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What on earth does that have to do with the topic?

you have allowed me to admire and respect this whole martial arts umbrella even more. I will continue on.

Ok, from this point forth, only discussion of the metaphorical martial arts umbrella. Literal martial arts umbrellas will have to have their own thread.

Gnarlie

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your a great teacher chris, I am assuming you must be an instructor. you have greatly allowed me to understand what it means to study a martial art vs mixed martial arts. you have allowed me to admire and respect this whole martial arts umbrella even more. I will continue on.

Hmm, I feel that perhaps you're still missing a fair bit of what I'm saying, though. For example, mixed martial arts (MMA) is a form of martial art... so studying a martial art and studying MMA are really the same, just different approaches. Like studying Kendo or Wing Chun... both are martial arts, but different approaches.

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hmm, I feel that perhaps you're still missing a fair bit of what I'm saying, though. For example, mixed martial arts (MMA) is a form of martial art... so studying a martial art and studying MMA are really the same, just different approaches. Like studying Kendo or Wing Chun... both are martial arts, but different approaches.
You kmow what chris....I think your last quote is how I feel.....if I lived in australia, quite framkly I would come and train and fight you.....your an attacker of ideas but I respect that!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tonality isn't easy to convey via the written word, so I'm not entirely sure how to take what you're writing... it could be read as being rather sarcastic, or it could be genuine, and simply phrased a little awkwardly... making the assumption it's the second one, I'll clarify why I said you might not quite get what I'm saying. You still separated "learning a martial art" from "learning mixed martial arts", which isn't really correct (MMA being a martial art itself). There's a fair bit more, including the lack of answers to any of the questions I've posed (which are really for me to determine just what your understanding is, so that I can see how to best answer your posts), but I'll leave that for now. The idea of you coming here to train is fine... but coming to "fight me", well, that's not a good plan. We don't spar in my system, for very good reasons (I don't consider it realistic in the slightest, particularly in the context we deal with), so if you were to come to "fight", you'd find that it'd get pretty real pretty quick... so I'll take that as thinking you'd come and "spar"... And, for the record, I'm not an attacker of ideas. I am, however, concerned with correcting misunderstandings... and, due to a real lack of experience and education, you have a fair bit of that. None of my posts have been attacks towards yourself, or even your ideas, but corrections to them, so you can see why your ideas aren't reality.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been studying mma for 5 years now. the mma that I have been studying is of course a mixture of: karate, muay thai, boxing, jeet kune do etc. so now I am sparring with opponents, and presently I have found that I need a step up in sparring opponents. I am very interested in joining a non-mma dojo to learn a traditional martial art. I feel like if I do though I will be starting at zero and learning a whole bunch of stuff that I already know and can apply - for example karate, well I have been practicing a whole range of kicks for 5 years. taekwondo, same thing, wing chin, I have done lots of boxing, kenpo - the instructor told me its like boxing with some kicks, and I wont be sparring until 6 months in. now Im kinda discouraged. IS MY THINKING WRONG HERE thanks rocco.

If its something you want to try, give it a shot. If you don't like the traditional training, nothing says you have to stay. One thing you will see, is the similarity in things. For example, chances are you'll see similar kicks, punches, etc, however, the application will most likely be different.

As for Kenpo being similar to boxing..if I was reading that right...well, IMO, after 20+yrs in Kenpo, I wouldn't say its like boxing with kicks. I transitioned from Kenpo to Kyokushin and while I'm doing alot of the same strikes and kicks, the application is very different.

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tonality isn't easy to convey via the written word, so I'm not entirely sure how to take what you're writing... it could be read as being rather sarcastic, or it could be genuine, and simply phrased a little awkwardly... making the assumption it's the second one, I'll clarify why I said you might not quite get what I'm saying. You still separated "learning a martial art" from "learning mixed martial arts", which isn't really correct (MMA being a martial art itself). There's a fair bit more, including the lack of answers to any of the questions I've posed (which are really for me to determine just what your understanding is, so that I can see how to best answer your posts), but I'll leave that for now. The idea of you coming here to train is fine... but coming to "fight me", well, that's not a good plan. We don't spar in my system, for very good reasons (I don't consider it realistic in the slightest, particularly in the context we deal with), so if you were to come to "fight", you'd find that it'd get pretty real pretty quick... so I'll take that as thinking you'd come and "spar"... And, for the record, I'm not an attacker of ideas. I am, however, concerned with correcting misunderstandings... and, due to a real lack of experience and education, you have a fair bit of that. None of my posts have been attacks towards yourself, or even your ideas, but corrections to them, so you can see why your ideas aren't reality.
I would come and join your school if I was closer....thats what I meant....if I have learned anything ninjutsu is life and death apllication, survival....so sparring would be painful!

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
[Qthe kenpo instructor also does samurai sword cutting techniques.....forgot the name of it....sounds interesting....UOTE=MJS;1563390]If its something you want to try, give it a shot. If you don't like the traditional training, nothing says you have to stay. One thing you will see, is the similarity in things. For example, chances are you'll see similar kicks, punches, etc, however, the application will most likely be different.

As for Kenpo being similar to boxing..if I was reading that right...well, IMO, after 20+yrs in Kenpo, I wouldn't say its like boxing with kicks. I transitioned from Kenpo to Kyokushin and while I'm doing alot of the same strikes and kicks, the application is very different.[/QUOTE]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would come and join your school if I was closer....thats what I meant....if I have learned anything ninjutsu is life and death apllication, survival....so sparring would be painful!

No, that's not really the point... just regular (non-sparring) training is painful as it is, so that's not the reason for not sparring. It's that sparring is unrealistic, and directly counter to the skills we wish to develop and tactics we wish to employ.

the kenpo instructor also does samurai sword cutting techniques.....forgot the name of it....sounds interesting....

Not sure of the relevance... but, so you know, if a sword practitioner hears of a karate instructor (Kenpo here being a form of karate) teaching swordsmanship, we tend to get a cold shiver down our spines... it's rarely a good thing...

OP
M

martial sparrer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hmmm.....so the kenpo guy told me that kenpo is like wing chun with kicks....and the wing chun instructor told me that wing chun has no kicks but only hand strikes....karate has no swordsmanship in it does it? on a side note, im a bit of a weapons collector, and I got a nice double sword sheath that goes on your back.....think I will go to the kenpo guy with new swords holder and see what he says! not....

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
hmmm.....so the kenpo guy told me that kenpo is like wing chun with kicks....and the wing chun instructor told me that wing chun has no kicks but only hand strikes....karate has no swordsmanship in it does it? on a side note, im a bit of a weapons collector, and I got a nice double sword sheath that goes on your back.....think I will go to the kenpo guy with new swords holder and see what he says! not....

Other than them being both martial arts there is no similarity at all.

Hmmm , a Wing Chun instructor that says Wing Chun has no kicks.
Where did he get his qualifications from? , a corn flakes packet.

Wing Chun has just as many kicks as any other martial art , it's just that usually the hands are more than sufficient to do the job so they aren't always needed.
But if the opportunity presents itself then you can rest assured a low kick will find its mark.

In the old days in the traditional Wing Chun kwoons , kicking was not taught until the student had completed about four years of training.
The reason being that the stance and balance had to be developed to a sufficient level before attempting to use kicks in a real fight , as kicking can put the novice practitioners balance at risk.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh boy....

I don't want to come down hard on anything here, but this whole thing is, well, bad.

Right, the idea of Kenpo being like Wing Chun with kicks, or (as you mentioned earlier) boxing with kicks, is not any real indication of the arts mentioned at all (Wing Chun or boxing), or any real similarity between them and Kenpo. What the instructor is saying is that Kenpo is a hands-oriented system (as both Wing Chun and boxing are), but with a higher focus on kicks in addition. The use of the other arts for comparison is an attempt to simplify the idea of what Kenpo is, but I feel just makes it more inaccurate.

Wing Chun has no kicks.... really? It doesn't do a lot of kicking, as it's preferred range is hands-range or closer (getting into trapping), but there most certainly are kicks found in the system. Mostly low-line, and always very direct, as well as to very powerful targets, but it definitely has them.

No, karate has no sword in it. Most karate instructors who "teach" sword are essentially making it up, or emptily (and incorrectly) copying something they've stolen, such as Seitei Iai, or some Kenjutsu Ryu-ha's kata, with only a very few having any grounding in the use of the weapon. And, if they do have such a grounding, it has not come from karate, and would need to have been learnt outside of that system.

"Double sword sheath that goes on your back"? Hmm... if it's for Japanese swords, it's not really correct (that's me being gentle here...). I have seen some Chinese-style blades worn that way, but incredibly rarely. Realistically, it's movie-style fantasy wear, and nothing to do with real weaponry or usage at all. So you know.

Latest Discussions