I am trying to start learning a martial art , please help :)

OP
F

funnylife33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't worry too much about the descriptions of the styles - schools can vary wildly within the same style name. Go to the three schools. Watch an adult class at each. If you don't like what you saw (bad atmosphere, etc.), no need to continue looking at it. If you didn't see anything that looked "off", ask if they offer a trial class (free class to see how you like it - those are common in some places, uncommon in others).

You should at least watch one class at each place. If possible, you should at least attend one trial class at each place. Even if you find one you think you like, still look at the others, because what you see/experience there may give you new thoughts about the others.

In the end, a school you enjoy and that has the intensity level you want will be much better than a style you select from a description (which may or may not accurately match the school).

You are so right ...

For me a good atmosphere matters the most

We do not have this system of a free introductory classes here ... They don't offer that here

From a good atmosphere point of view , i like the karate class the most

They have many students there ... A main instructor , and more people with black belt instructing kids and new white belts ...

i think i will be more comfortable there :)

OP
F

funnylife33

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think the best thing for you to do is go watch a few classes in each place. See what you think would be most comfortable for you.

Not just the style/art/work, but the people there, both the students and the instructors.
They’re who you’ll be working with and learning from

Yes this is what matters in the long run

Surround yourself with good people who encourage and love you. There are always ups and downs, no matter how successful you are.

:)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
at 6.30 ... Then i am a bit tired after work .
I think this type of tiredness will disappear 10 minutes after class has started.

Unless your job is physically demanding, then the tiredness is probably from stress. If that's the case then you could probably still do an evening class.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No i am not playing games here ,
I wake up in the morning , go to work .. Comes back home at 6.30 ... Then i am a bit tired after work ... Which is why i had to change plans many times ... I am from a south indian state ...i am also a 38 years old ... Not that young ... So i have to be careful about what i choose ... At this age , learning martial arts would not be that easy for me...

So that is why the starting troubles :)
People that really want something make it happen, people who don't make excuses.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are so right ...

For me a good atmosphere matters the most

We do not have this system of a free introductory classes here ... They don't offer that here

From a good atmosphere point of view , i like the karate class the most

They have many students there ... A main instructor , and more people with black belt instructing kids and new white belts ...

i think i will be more comfortable there :)
If that school is the most interesting, it's probably your best bet.

I will say that if you don't have trial classes available (they weren't common around me when I started training, either), then go watch several classes before committing. Assuming there are no contracts (you don't have to pay for several months up front, etc.), you could do a month at each school that looks promising.

In the end, if you find a school you like, you're much more likely to keep going, and much less likely to find excuses to not go to class on any given day.

Brad KSN

White Belt
Reaction score
I started training at 40. 66 now and still training. Understand that it will take time for you to increase your flexibility and stamina. Warm up a bit before stretching. Stretch regularly (not only in class). When you feel the stretch, only hold for a short period, then repeat. As for what art or school, visit the schools available, simply watch a class or two before accepting an introductory offer or free class. Watch for a disciplined environment that stresses etiquette and safety. Do a little research on the particular martial art and see if they are a member of an association. Understand who will be teaching and is there a documented curriculum. It is not unusual for a senior student to teach beginners under the supervision of the school owner or associate instructor. Find something that is interesting to you and give it the effort it requires. Martial art training is rewarding for both mind and body. Good Luck Sir or Mam.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started training at age 46. I'm 63 now.
So good!
A long time ago, when I was doing TKD folks in their 40’s, 50’s and even 60’s would come into class hunched over and couldn’t kick high than their own knee height. Give them less than a year and their posturing was better, their flexibility increased and maybe they weren’t do flying spin kicks but they sure felt better and carried themselves better. Again, good!

Latest Discussions