Hughes vs Penn

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Am I the only one who isn't completely buying the seperated ribs story?

It was a fight, people get hurt. Didn't Hughes land a good kick to those Ribs earlier? I'm sure that his ribs are injured, and that is likely what wore him down in the 3rd. But it was a fight, getting hurt is how you loose. I've not seen him really push it as a "I should have won, but it was this fluke injury...."

Hughes lost the first because he suddenly got a big headache and became dissorientated ;)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For me I am looking forward to the third and winner takes all fight between these two. I just hope that Hughes can hold onto the belt until that time.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You mean St. Pierre's belt :D

UFC does seem to like the rematches lately, so I got little doubt that at some point, there will be a Hughes vs Penn III

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You mean St. Pierre's belt :D

UFC does seem to like the rematches lately, so I got little doubt that at some point, there will be a Hughes vs Penn III

I do not know if St. Pierre is going to be able to beat Hughes. Matt seems to really have his act together. It should be a great fight though.

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Imo->Bj pen had that fight, he controlled hughes on the ground,hughes spent two rounds in vain trying to take pen down but couldnt, something definatly happened to pen in round two, the switch from being on top and then being a kitten was two quick.
Pen is the better grappler.
There needs to be a rematch for sure i dont think Hughes did enough for it to be over.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm a skeptic. When someone loses a fight and runs to their website to post why they lost I take it with a grain of salt, actually a bucket. It's just like what Royce did when losing to Hughes. Also Penn said he seperated his own ribs (therefore read between the lines he lost the fight himself) , he made no mention of being injured by the "hard kick" that landed in the 1st round...

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgive me, I'm a skeptic. When someone loses a fight and runs to their website to post why they lost I take it with a grain of salt, actually a bucket. It's just like what Royce did when losing to Hughes. Also Penn said he seperated his own ribs (therefore read between the lines he lost the fight himself) , he made no mention of being injured by the "hard kick" that landed in the 1st round...

it all gets jumbled up, he said he seperated his ribs while grappling on the floor, pens a flexable guy but ive seen him put himself in positions where i sit and think damn thats going to hurt!!
I beleive Pen, he didnt run to his website, he was just asked what happened in a post fight interview and that is what he said, anyone that watched the fight could tell there was something up with him, he just didnt seem like pen in that 3rd round.
Also pens a smart fighter he said he was waiting for hughes to get side control the way he did and knew all the escapes but couldnt do any of them (MMA involves a lot of core strength).

bring on pen vs hughes....theres a video of pen vs hughes in a grappleling compititon a few years back way before the ufc,i'll try find it,this is the first time pen has lost to hughs on the floor in what is a very long personal battle.

when that cookie crumbles though Pen did lose which he did say.
the best man on the night won.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
Whether or not BJ was gassed or injured if both of these are remedied he will slap Matt Hughes like a red headed step child. I really like Matt Hughes but He didn't even look like damaging BJ in the first 2 rounds. BJ looked absolutely buggered in the third to the point he could hardly hold his hands up. I want a rematch.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A rematch will be great and you can bet the UFC and Dana White want it as well. In a rematch though look out because it could easily go either way. Remember unless you get the submission then it isn't a submission. To many people credit BJ with having opportunities but no one discredits him that he could not finish them. Where as Matt finished when he had to and escaped those submission attempts early on.

The third fight will be great. Actually I like Penn a bunch and hope he wins but he better be in phenomenal condition or he probably will lose again.

One thing is for sure is that I do not want to watch either of them fight and humilate Royce Gracie. (please retire) It is almost as bad as having to watch Tito humiliate Shamrock yet again in there upcoming third fight. (it is going to be painful)