Hughes vs Penn

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Penn had his chances in rd 2, and came close to pulling it off. I don't blame him for trying, since you're not going to get many opportunities to put Hughes down, and you have to seize what's available.

He had no energy left to get out of the crucifix in rd 3.

A good fight, though, and I'm glad that McCarthy let it go on for a while.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for posting. I seldom get to see it on TV anymore. Great fight!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The misconception in this fight is that BJ tired. this is untrue. BJ actually separated several ribs when he took hughes' back in round two. he couldnt catch his breath in the 3rd, but didn't want to give up. sobasically he stood there in round 3 as Matt walked through him. He is expected to be out for at least 2 months

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
BJ actually separated several ribs when he took hughes' back in round two...He is expected to be out for at least 2 months

And, to answer the question as to "why don't you hapkido guys get in the ring and prove your martial art works":

THAT is why. Win or lose, this can happen in this kind of event -- it doesn't matter how good you are, injuries happen.

Injuries take months away from training. Months during which you are vulnerable. Months during which your cardio conditioning takes a nose dive and has to be rebuilt.

BJ is lucky, in one sense: it sounds like an injury he can recover from. What if he had blown out a knee, for example? (We KMA stylists really, really value our knees as it is tied to our ability to kick).

The best self defense against this type of injury is: DON'T get in the octagon in the first place!

Love to watch the matches, of course, and wishing BJ a speedy recovery.

And kudos to Matt for defending his title again. I've always found Hughes to be a class act and hope more MMA'ists choose HIM for a role model.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm quite sure BJ Penn, while injured, is more then capable of looking after himself and matching pretty much anyone on this board in terms cardio.

Besides, injuries happen not only in competition, but also in training, and seperated ribs can happen to anyone, even if they are not training "hard" at the time it happens.

ps - where did that come from?

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
And, to answer the question as to "why don't you hapkido guys get in the ring and prove your martial art works":
Isn't Gary Goodridge a Hapkido aetist originally? he is one of the best KO artists ever to step in the ring....

I'm quite sure BJ Penn, while injured, is more then capable of looking after himself and matching pretty much anyone on this board in terms cardio.

Besides, injuries happen not only in competition, but also in training, and seperated ribs can happen to anyone, even if they are not training "hard" at the time it happens.

definitely. BJ's cardio was great for this fight. watch the first couple rounds. BJ has excellent cardio.
btw, Andrew are you asking for a source? hold on a sec and I'll post it. its fromn Sherdog.

just a min :)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
here it is
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
by Sherdog.com Staff

The ribs on the right side of B.J. Penn (Pictures)'s body were injured while he seized UFC champion Matt Hughes (Pictures)' back in the second round of Saturday's title fight, the welterweight challenger revealed on his Web site, BJPenn.com, late Sunday.

"When he went for a big elbow, he missed and I capitalized and started going for his back," Penn said in the interview. "At this moment, when I was making the turn towards his back, I felt my ribs seperate on my right side."

Despite the apparent injury, Penn nearly finished Hughes via submission late in the second round. "When I got up to walk to my corner," he said, "I knew something was wrong, but I didn't want to talk about it with my corner. I wanted to be the champ. I wanted to keep fighting." Yet when the five-round championship contest moved into the third, Penn appeared listless. Hughes, who had a difficult time with his challenger in the first 10 minutes, scored with punches and kicks as Penn stood in front of him.

"I kept going because I honestly believed it was destiny," Penn said. "When me and Matt were boxing I felt like I couldn't breathe and had no mobility in my core. But I kept thinking something good is going to happen. When Matt started dominating the stand-up I tried for a takedown. I had nothing and pulled to guard. I felt like I couldn't do anything on the ground. But I was still positive. Matt hit me in the ribs from half-guard. The pain was so excruciating I had to use my far hand to block it. I would rather Matt pass my guard and punch my face the hit my ribs."

Eventually, Hughes secured side-control and trapped Penn's arms before wailing on his foe's unprotected head. Referee John McCarthy stopped the contest at 3:53 of the third.

"'Big' John gave me plenty of time," said Penn, who expects to be out of action for at least two months while his ribs heal. "I practiced defending against that position with flexibility, but I had none with my core. Even when 'Big' John stopped the fight, I was still so positive I thought I escaped. Congratulations to Matt, he is a great fighter. It's not his fault that that happened, he fought like the champion he is. He deserved the victory."

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that, this:

seemed rather out of nowhere...

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
not only that, but didn't BJ receive the fight invitation on short notice? I read on sherdog that he only had 3 weeks to prepare for the fight.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score

Sorry, my comment was indeed "out of nowhere."

I agree BJ is a fine athlete, including cardio. But we all know the formula: takes four weeks to get INTO good shape with cardio, and four days to get OUT of good cardio shape. An injury like that means he will have to retrain his cardio back up. Always easier to stay in cardio shape than to get back into cardio shape.

My point was/is: a lot of traditonal hapkido practioners keep foremost in our minds the idea of taking care of ourselves, keeping our bodies from harm.

I agree, injuries can happen anytime, anywhere -- even in a TMA dojang/dojo.

I was speaking to the oft-asked question of, "If hapkido works so well, why not prove it in 'the ring'?"

And this seemed to be a prime example: the ring is a dangerous place -- even for top athletes like BJ.

If staying well is the prime objective, getting into the ring is counter to that objective.

Glad to hear that somebody (Gary Goodridge) was willing to put aside their own well-being to show what he has works in the ring.

Me? I'm too old and too selfish. ;)

Sorry for any confusion, Andrew.

And just to clarify: I respect those guys who "put it on the line" and get into that ring -- I respect their hard training and their balls. I just don't think that EVERYBODY has to get in there to "prove" their martial art skills are valid.

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
not only that, but didn't BJ receive the fight invitation on short notice? I read on sherdog that he only had 3 weeks to prepare for the fight.

He had more than 3 weeks but he also said that he doesn't enjoy fighting when he has to spend most of his days training. He has cut back his training considerably to something around 2 hours a day. I think his cardio would have been suspect regardless of separated ribs. I really like watching him fight and I think that if he didn't do the injury and his cardio was fine he would have kicked matt hughes' *** all over the ring. He dominated him in the first 2 rounds and I think he is the biggest threat to hughes right now.

Cheers
Sam

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He is definately a threat to Hughes in the future. However, I do not believe that Hughes was totally dominated. When you get a position you need to be able to finish it. BJ was unable to do that and because of lack of cardio he was gassed after that. It was a great fight and I for one am looking forward to the rematch. If they meet again there is always a chance that BJ will win but you have to give Hughes a good chance as well.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one who isn't completely buying the seperated ribs story?

Latest Discussions