howdy

F

F0E

hello,
I come from a splinter style of WC that incorporates kickboxing elements along with elbows and knees called Cheung style. There is a sport aspect in that we regularly participate in point tournaments in northeast florida however we train full contact and have many undefeated iska/full contact bout fighters.

[font=&quot]I have read about peoples feelings toward the (sportification) of the martial arts and how some people see it as a bad thing, I can really see where they are coming from being at these "sport" tournaments and seeing how totally removed that it can be from the roots of kung fu/ self defense to see people hop around on one foot and stop after the first hit is laughable though my school may fight in these competitions Sifu does not teach how to win these things
one of the reasons why i think martial arts in America have become more sport orientated is that most people simply don’t posses the heart required to train 8 hours everyday so they can go full contact, our culture is full of "weekend warriors" in the old days self preservation necessitated learning how to defend one self i firmly believe that if we hadn’t killed off all of natural predators America wouldn’t have the fat people epidemic. Ok I’m rambling now so I’ve recently moved to Nashville tn and hope to provide my perspective on what threads I can[/font]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your stay and feel free to ask any questions you may have! :supcool:

Mike

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome FOE,

I see no real problem with sport oriented martial arts, so long as those who train in them realize that it is just that, a sport. I think its kind of funny that you mention that the US is a nation of "weekend warriors" and I am inclined to agree, but only so far though. There are many out there that live, breathe, eat, sleep martial arts (I am sure you will meet some here on this forum).

Always good to see new people here, especially those who are willing to share their ideas with others.

Enjoy your time here, and happy posting.

-Josh

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk! :wavey:

- Ceicei

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have fun posting and welcome to MT!!! :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

Drac