How'd you come into Indochinese Arts?

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Since the Indochinese arts are relatively obscured (compared to Karate/Tae Kwon Do/Kenpo) I was wondering the other day how folks happen onto the IC Arts. Personally I was reading a Tom Clancy Book (Net Force series) and there's a character in there that's into Serak. I did some research and had trouble finding a teacher but after a bit Pendiri Stark moved down here from the frozen north (I stumbled on his site through a search on the Kerambit). So what about you guys?

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was training in a club at college, when I met a person that was training in Mande Muda. We made pigrimages to his teacher's school often. Then his teacher found a teacher in our town that he wanted to train with. So we got to train even more. A training partner of mine met a group in TX that trains silat also so now to suppliment our training, we go down there and have that group up here too.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Lobo and I were in the same group in college. When I left there, I started going to my teacher's teacher's school all the time until I found someone more local (who at this point has moved away and sort of stranded me). heh.

W

wadokai_indo

Silat Student said:
Since the Indochinese arts are relatively obscured (compared to Karate/Tae Kwon Do/Kenpo) I was wondering the other day how folks happen onto the IC Arts. Personally I was reading a Tom Clancy Book (Net Force series) and there's a character in there that's into Serak. I did some research and had trouble finding a teacher but after a bit Pendiri Stark moved down here from the frozen north (I stumbled on his site through a search on the Kerambit). So what about you guys?
I was born, raised and reared in Jakarta, (capital of Indonesia) and there are Pencak Silat schools around.. it's part of the Jakarta culture :)

Even after years of training in Japanese M.A (Karate, Jujutsu) I still consider Paseban Silat fascinating, mostly due to its similarity with Okinawan Karate.

Ben Haryo

www.geocities.com/tukangbanting/silat.html

OP
S

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Now if only Silat was as much a part of American Culture as it is Indonesian Culture.....ahhh in a perfect world

W

wadokai_indo

Silat Student said:
Now if only Silat was as much a part of American Culture as it is Indonesian Culture.....ahhh in a perfect world
Err... that could happen if there are many Indonesians Silat experts Indonesians who decided to imigrate to the USA. Unfortunately, Indonesians are not in the habit of imigrating to another country, unlike the Japanese and Chinese..so you will have to visit our country to learn traditional Silat :D

U

unterlich

coz I am an Indonesian, of coz I study my own martial art

OP
S

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well for a while I had thought about kidnapping some Silat Masters and relocating 'em over here. But then I woke up and realized that kidnapping silat masters would be.......difficult :grin

U

unterlich

Silat Student said:
Well for a while I had thought about kidnapping some Silat Masters and relocating 'em over here. But then I woke up and realized that kidnapping silat masters would be.......difficult :grin
hmm u'd better don't try that, btw our pentjak silat have a branch dojo in austria u know

W

wadokai_indo

Silat Student said:
Austria hmm? I'll add it to the places I've been meaning to visit.
Many Silat styles has also appeared in the Netherlands.. so, one more place for you to visit :)

OP
S

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
See, now your just tantalizing me. *mumbles something about indonesians teasing poor silat starved americans* But to be fair my teacher lives only three hours away and I'm attempting to start a group here.

U

unterlich

may I know, what is ur teacher style ? is it silat pertempuran ?

OP
S

Silat Student

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes it is, Guru Stark moved down here to florida from the frozen north (wisconsin). There is a teacher of Silat near where I live but I couldn't work out taking lessons from him. If you're interested www.combat-silat.net has more information on the style.

L

LoneWolfandCub

My Ci Mande teacher said "You don't find Silat, Silat has a way of choosing you" it really seemed applicable in my situation. I had observed my arnis instructor and some friends "playing" with something at a gathering and asked about what I observed, the next think I know I am learning hand jurus and meeting Uncle.

U

unterlich

please dont write "Ci Mande" just write "CIMANDE" without space
coz cimande is the name of a place, its different with "Ci" in chinese language

U

unterlich

please to Silat Students,
dont write Pentjack , it suppose to be Pentjak or Pencak
Pentjak is an old style of indonesian writing and Pencak is the modern style.
But dont use Penjtack, u cant find any indonesian word using "tjack"

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Thought it was Penjak or Pencak (no 'T')?

U

unterlich

PENCAK !!!
there's no word PENJAK in Indonesial Lgg
its just like the word Jujutsu, Jujitsu and Jiujiitsu, we hear that the same in our ear, but in japanese kanji, that words mean very different

too many misunderstood in out side Indonesian about the word.

Like I saw in black belt mag, there was an ad about silat, where the teacher said about
jurus monyet and jurus kera both of them are the same = MONKEY STYLE

jurus harimau and jurus macan = TIGER STYLE

please beware of that kind of people, go ahear ask ur guru about what i've said if ur guru said that im wrong, go to the library, get indonesian dictionary and check them.

Latest Discussions