Reaction score
Work, work, work, work

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Because you think back and try to remember people, places, things, and the details related. The memories are blurry, you have a hard time remembering, you say, or think it wasn't that long ago, what's wrong with me, then realise it was, and your old now. (re-enforced by talking with younger people, and they ask who's dad or mom are you)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I usually get the "How old are you??"...

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
byand,

A senior in "81"! Technically that would make you a child of the 70's! When you would have 1sthand knowledge of the following.
UltraMAN
Johnny Sako's Flying Robot
The 6Million Dollar Man
The Big Valley
Mr.Young's "Searchin for a Heart of Gold"
The World Series of Rock Tours
Mr.Ronnie VanZant, and Crew
When kids called adults by Mr./Mrs./Ms.
When talking back to an adult was strictly verboten etc.,etc..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
byand,

A senior in "81"! Technically that would make you a child of the 70's! When you would have 1sthand knowledge of the following.
UltraMAN
The 6Million Dollar Man
The Big Valley

I remember all that..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
byand,

UltraMAN
The 6Million Dollar Man
The Big Valley

Yea I can remember evrything you listed

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When talking back to an adult was strictly verboten

Especially a cop or a teacher...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you addressed all adults as "Mr. X" or "Miss Y" or "Mrs. Z" ... not by their first names.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you addressed all adults as "Mr. X" or "Miss Y" or "Mrs. Z" ... not by their first names.

Hey I remember doing that....
I hate now that stores like Sam's Club read your membership or credit card and say thank you Ms. X on the way out the door. They end up stumbling over my name and getting it wrong and making me waste a min or two waiting for them to give up and make a guess and give me back my card....annoys me...

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When talking back to an adult was strictly verboten

Especially a cop or a teacher...

Oh, man, while housesitting I saw a cable show that had real police officers (at a school assembly!) talking to young people and most of the kid's responses would have landed my generation in the principal's office receiving the "board of education". Not saying that method of discipline need to specifically come back, but SOME level certainly does.

I still, whenever I run into them, call people who were adults when I was a child by Mr. or Mrs. and NOT by hey, Warner or Bethany, whuss up dude?

It is like the broken window syndrome. Allowing a broken window in a neighborhood attracts more vandalism and less respect for property. Allow no vandalism to go untaken care of and the phenomeno will diminish. Same with respect. Don't allow things like having a 15 year old to call their school guidance counselor Rod or Sue (in order "to build rapport...") and more blatant acts of disrespect will diminish in quantity AND intensity, IMO.

Arnisador? Are you there? I recall either here or at Nephrites you told me that you require your undergrads to call you Doctor Leader in class and not "Jeff". That's the start I'm talking about.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, man, while housesitting I saw a cable show that had real police officers (at a school assembly!) talking to young people and most of the kid's responses would have landed my generation in the principal's office receiving the "board of education". Not saying that method of discipline need to specifically come back, but SOME level certainly does

I had some tough teachers..Paddleing was common because NO ONE feared detentions or staying after school

Jonathan Randall said:
I still, whenever I run into them, call people who were adults when I was a child by Mr. or Mrs. and NOT by hey, Warner or Bethany, whuss up dude?

Same here

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Arnisador? Are you there? I recall either here or at Nephrites you told me that you require your undergrads to call you Doctor Leader in class and not "Jeff". That's the start I'm talking about.

See now that is what I did. Never occured to me to call my prof's by their first name, heck I didn't even know the first name of mosst of them. I either called them Dr whatever.... or just Professor if they weren't a Dr or I didn't remember their last name. Actually I still keep in contact with a teacher from 7th grade, I took her out to lunch a few months ago and she asked me when I was going to start calling her Paula (her first name) and I said never....she will always be Mrs... no matter how good of a friend she is...
I am not that old, but man, the lack of respect I see these days in kids makes me want to smack them upside the head even though most of them are old enough that we could have grown up together or I was their baby-sitter.....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Lt from the city where I work part time just retired..I have the hardest time calling him by his first name...

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
To Any Interested,

You know what gets to me about all the lack of respect. I am speaking particularly about addressing people.For example, when I call about my cell phone account. When they ask for your full name. 9 times out of 10 they call me by my first name. They'll say can I call you Donald, or they won't bother to ask at all. It just strikes me as very unprofessional. I guess its just the dumbing down of society. I was even chastised by my boss. For giving my last name behind Mr.. I was a scheduler in our Shipping/Receiving Dept., and would talk to truckers,trucking outfits, and some clients. I would address them as Sir,or Miss, and felt that was the pro.,way to handle this. As I did'nt know any of them on a personal level. My employer said that the some clients actually complained about addressing me as Mr.!!!! As Dr.Smith so eloquently put it,"Oh the pain, oh the pain"...

Latest Discussions