How to feel safe

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This infor came from the book "Gift of Fear" as well as other written material on self-defense.

One way to prevent or feel safer is NOT make yourself an easy tarket.
Walk tall or head high, always be aware of people around you and also aware of your surroundings.

There are hundreds or unlimited ideas, here is a few....

...When walking around cornors of a sidewalk or street...walk on the outside and not closer to the walls. In case someone is hiding the other side.

...Carry your purse and bags as to make them hard to grab.

...Show confidence, walk tall and head high.

...Do not wear headphones while walking or jogging....you will not hear the attacker,mugger or rapist coming.

....Always look for places to run and escape or get to a safe house or safe place, even hiding under a car holding on to something underneat makes it hard for a rapist to pull you out.

...If being rape or attack...ALWAYS FIGHT BACK..there maybe NO tommorrw. The EYES HAVE IT! Go for those tarkets that does the most damages. Learn to keep your techniques simple and easy to remember!

...If traveling ? ....ask Jackie Chan or Jet Li to come along? ..adn bring the book "Gift of Fear" to read at the same time.

Aloha, ( I feel safe already).....

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who has considered getting a giant bubble to live in? No having to worry about anything in the world as long as you're in a giant bubble...anyone....anyone?

Ok on a more serious note than....

I personally feel you can never feel totally safe from every type of danger on a daily basis, because, well, let's face it: life happens. I find the thing that works for me is to be a sponge (somewhat) and just absorb everything that happens, don't anticipate what may or may not happen, don't wait for it to happen, or want for it to happen, just be ready for it when it does happen. May sound unoriginal I'm sure, but I find this works very well for me!

RED

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Great comments to all!!

I try to be an extravert everywhere I go. I smile and act friendly. If I pass someone one a side walk I say "hi" and keep moving. All the while being aletrt to the options around me (escape or weapon). including imagining how I would handle a possible attach. This helps me relax and BREATH properly. I fall back on my training and tell myself that I'm the "bad" guy and I could seriously harm someone if I wanted to. After all self deffence is actually an offence. The person approaching me should be the one worried because of what I will do to them.

I guess you can call this confidence.

The only thing that makes me nervous walking the streets is hot chick walking towards me because I realize I'm too old for her, but I'll still smile and say "hi".

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am I the only one here who has considered getting a giant bubble to live in? No having to worry about anything in the world as long as you're in a giant bubble...anyone....anyone?​

Ok on a more serious note than....​

I personally feel you can never feel totally safe from every type of danger on a daily basis, because, well, let's face it: life happens. I find the thing that works for me is to be a sponge (somewhat) and just absorb everything that happens, don't anticipate what may or may not happen, don't wait for it to happen, or want for it to happen, just be ready for it when it does happen. May sound unoriginal I'm sure, but I find this works very well for me!

Hello, I have an extra bubble. So far no dogs or cats have ever attack me....and rains stays outside of the bubble.

Nice thing is you get to many places faster if you learn how to roll around.
Will be sent by "air" ..hope you feel safer, NOT design for Cars. That model will not be available till christmas.

Feel safe "Bubbles", coming to your home town soon! ..Aloha​

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As an afterthought here's a little program that we use with the kids to teach them the basics of mental self defence though really it works for adults too...

DEFEND

D= Detect the threat
E= Evade the threat if you can
F= Face the threat if there's no immediate escape
E= Evaluate the situation
N= Negotiate your way out of the threat if you can
D= Defend yourself if it becomes necessary

Seems simple I know but the kids seem to respond really well to it, and some of them have told me stories where it helped them with bullies on the schoolyard, etc etc.

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That's post raised some great points, one of which i'll just highlight again - simply because i think it can never be said enough in terms of self defence:

The best place to be in a fight is not to be in the fight.

I'm always amazed at how some MAists forget this simple lesson, if your not there then you don't have to fight.

Also, it's true that you can never be truely safe. The trick i think is to feel safe enough that you can live life without fear stopping you from living.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stay away from dangerous areas, be aware of people and your souroundings, appear confident, de-escalate situations, don`t walk alone etc etc what people said.

I wear clothing that won`t restrict my movement and sneakers for applying my Nike-Jutsu skills.

The only weapon I carry is the complete willingness to do whatever is neccesary to defend myself.

Latest Discussions