How to Break Boards?

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first time I came across a thread about how to do a break, I said have an instructor show you. Actually enroll in a class and learn the right way.
But I would be willing to bet that person went ahead and tried it any way he could - the determination of the young and sometimes reckless.

I gave detailed instructions so that wouldn't happen. If Paul carefully follows my directions, has extra boards for practice prior, I see no problem with it. No pride will be hurt then, but then it is only pride. TW

OP
P

paul

Hey guys (and girls)

Thanks for the input. I do plan on practicing before hand. I would not want to get up there and break a hand on my first attempt.

OP
T

TSDKen

What are the differences (pro's and con's) of training with rebreakable boards?

Thanks for your thoughts.
ken

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well paul good luck at your new endeavor. Hopefully you do not hurt yourself.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TSDKen said:
What are the differences (pro's and con's) of training with rebreakable boards?

Thanks for your thoughts.
ken

Cost: $40 initially as opposed to about $15-18 for a 1x12x8. Rebreakables are "harder" to break at first but after use wear edges so get easier with each break but they can go a long time especially for one user but not much more than a year or two for a school.

Technique: The rebreakable must be hit directly center where the middle separates. Some wood boards can be broken in many places.

Sting factor: I think rebreakables sting if they aren't broken

Variable: a rebreakable can be spread - the teeth misaligned which allows the student to go slowly up the ladder of breaking. And when teeth are broken the board is easier. (not good) Wood is variable too. One black board rebreakable does not equal 3 wood pine boards necessarily. I could break 3 boards no problem, but had to spread my new black rebreakable - I could only get to one finger off, but still broke my concrete for testing.

The rebreakables are great for students to learn on. Kids use the yellow thru Green. Adults use thru Blue for beginners and later brown, black for advanced. TW

OP
T

TSDKen

TigerWoman, Thank you for the response. I have only used rebreakable boards and do enjoy them. I have trained both my daughter (11) and son (8) with a yellow. It is a wonderful confidence builder with kids. Not mention drives home the importance of breathing.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
TSDKen said:
TigerWoman, Thank you for the response. I have only used rebreakable boards and do enjoy them. I have trained both my daughter (11) and son (8) with a yellow. It is a wonderful confidence builder with kids. Not mention drives home the importance of breathing.

Breathing, thanks for reminding me of that. Breathing out as you strike helps tremendously to put your power into the break. TW

bluenosekenpo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
Breathing, thanks for reminding me of that. Breathing out as you strike helps tremendously to put your power into the break. TW
TW,thank you for providing excellent info, here's a link to an iron palm site, enjoy.

http://www.karatebreaking.com/chinesemethod.html

i have only had an opportunity to try breaking afew times, things i observed, if you tell yourself that you can't do it, guess what you probably won't. you are defeated before you begin. KNOW, that you can break the board, project the strike through the board and if you are using a heel palm, don't curl your fingers(owww). the strangest thing i encountered was the reaction from other or non ma's when i told them what i did. it ranged from that's stupid to boards don't hit back, or it's all show - no go. do it for yourself, not to impress anyone else. train hard and enjoy the experience.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
You can also use old telephone books as targets. If they are hit right, they will make a sound that sounds a bit like a board breaking. When you hear that sound, it's a good chance you can break one board with that strike.

I've been doing MA for 17 years and I've never heard of that...Great Idea!!!

I'll have to echo a lot of people on this thread. If you haven't broken a board before, I wouldn't mess around. I don't think you will hurt yourself physically. It is pretty easy to do. There are a lot of tricks that you need to learn first.

1. You've got to find a good holder. If the holder you are using flinches one inch, you've added another "board" to your break.

2. You've got to take safety into account. I've seen inexperienced holders and breakers take peices of board in the face.

3. You need to practice. A good break is something that you practice at least a 1000 times before you attempt putting flesh to wood. This includes visualization.

I hope this helps.

upnorthkyosa

Latest Discussions