How to be a better programmer

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
No pops, stacks, or registers for me! :eek: I looked at it once and decided it was way to tedious and took too long to get things done.

I prefer Visual Studios .NET either VB.NET, ASP.NET, or C#. C++ takes too long now to roll out an app.

Bah...VisualStudio is up to mid-90s level Smalltalk productivity and usefullness. Nothing I've found yet will touch VisualWorks Smalltalk for productivity for seroiusly big projects

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
for those who are looking into .NET STAY OUT OF MY MARKET!
yes, keep working with smalltalk, java, cpp, and assembly... it's the best!

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always loved the joke about the program that wrote a very important piece of code and it worked perfectly for years and then one day he was fired and about a week later the code stopped working...a later code analysis revealed that into his code he had programmed a check to payroll, that only if he was on the payroll should the code work :-D....

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bah...VisualStudio is up to mid-90s level Smalltalk productivity and usefullness. Nothing I've found yet will touch VisualWorks Smalltalk for productivity for seroiusly big projects

eh! My market is bigger. :) I was reading the wiki on Smalltalk. It sounds similar to Python. It sounds interesting though, but I am tired of learning new programming languages. I am ready to retire! :( I am almost ready for a change in careers. A jeep mechanic career is sounding really good right now, if only it would pay the bills. :(

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've always loved the joke about the program that wrote a very important piece of code and it worked perfectly for years and then one day he was fired and about a week later the code stopped working...a later code analysis revealed that into his code he had programmed a check to payroll, that only if he was on the payroll should the code work :-D....

Yeah, I have heard that too. I believe it was a urban legend. Cool idea though.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I once formatted the hard drive of a laptop in the couple seconds I had to clear out my desk after being fired. The security guy watching me wasn't doing his job.

It's not something I'm proud of, but I had a lot of work done for them that I wasn't going to be able to bill them for, so I wasn't about to hand over anything I hadn't had a chance to finish and check in.

Honestly, if I had the job of looking over another programmer's work who'd just been fired, I'd probably do the whole thing over again anyways. It's safer.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once formatted the hard drive of a laptop in the couple seconds I had to clear out my desk after being fired. The security guy watching me wasn't doing his job.

It's not something I'm proud of, but I had a lot of work done for them that I wasn't going to be able to bill them for, so I wasn't about to hand over anything I hadn't had a chance to finish and check in.

Honestly, if I had the job of looking over another programmer's work who'd just been fired, I'd probably do the whole thing over again anyways. It's safer.

They weren't following standard IT security measures for dismissing an employee. Thankfully for you.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope you reminded him that in the progamming world, there are no problems, only solutions! :D

True, and the final solution was that he was back where he started because he did not like his other job, and I left as I was contract and they would not hire directly. ;)

He was more worried about his ego, as it took a beating when someone else was able to do something he could not. I got over that a long time ago. :D

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Nah... try some things w/ SED. Or get really cryptic w/ Assembly. I really enjoyed learning that :)

1) Never write a line of code that someone else can understand.

Nahhhh.. REALLY freak 'em out... Solve the whole thing with XSLT and XML... *evil chortle* Even YOU will not be able to figure it out when you are done! *lol*

PS.. I'm Back... sorry for the hiatus....

Latest Discussions