How much have you spent on martial arts over the years?

ronin_warrior_j

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I did a rough estimate and over the past 13 to 15 years between what my parents paid and what i paid i came up wit a little over $14,000 for 18 different martial arts. And thats not including seminars, training camps and belt tests. Not really too bad when you look at the big picture.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I came up with about $15,000 for the last 16 years and that doesn't include testing fee and seminars. Nope cant say it looks too bad considering most people spend that much on a car they only keep for a few years.

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Around $7,000 for the last 20 years. I tend to find instructors who treat me as an "apprentice" of sorts. Therefore I teach alot of lessons at the schools and in turn don't have to pay for lessons. The $7,000 was actually from '98 - 2000 though. Didn't have to pay before or after that...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
30 years + Martial Arts = a lot

After 30 years... a lot and I am afraid to figure out how much a lot equates to.

How much of it was necessary? Well I am guessing a lot less than I have actually spent, but still a lot

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
30 years + Martial Arts = a lot

I hear ya..Besides there is also what spend on attending seminars and conferences..Airfare,hotels, car rentals and alcoholic beverages..A LOT..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Drac said:
I hear ya..Besides there is also what spend on attending seminars and conferences..Airfare,hotels, car rentals and alcoholic beverages..A LOT..

You had to go and mention seminars now didn't you. OK it has now gone to a lot more than I originally thought. :)

This is very true one 3 day seminar out of town can easily go to $1000 in a blink of an eye.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well over forty years plus traveling to other counties train, probaly a house in the least.
Terry

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the commercial for the credit card comes in great here.

a brand new gi 30.00

1 months lessons 65.00

3 weeks in Okinawa 5,000.00

the memories of a lifetime: priceless

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figure about $5000 over the past 10 years. Now if you count weapons and ammo, I'd be too afraid to figure out that cost.

JeffJ

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the last 21 years, probably closer to about 12,000 dollars, including equipment costs and various seminars.

I did get some of it back, by teaching.

I see it as money well-spent, and it cost less than a semester of tuition at many colleges.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I look at it as a worthwhile investment! :)
I have easily been to well over 100 camps and seminars in my career but I never calculated it all out.
The knowledge and experiences have all been worth it plus then coming back and teaching what I have learned. All things considered I look at it as ending up in positive numbers! :)

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
This is very true one 3 day seminar out of town can easily go to $1000 in a blink of an eye.

Yes it can...

Latest Discussions