How many people learned MA through Seminars (no school ) only?

OP
M

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys,

The reason why I ask is that my current Arnis instructor is going to stop teaching his class, so I've had to make some decisions about the future of my martial arts and Modern Arnis Training. The irony is that I just (re)joined the school about a month and a half ago, after being out of the area for a year. The classes used to be 2-3 days a week. Now, from what I have heard, the senior student (Lakan) is going to continue it, but only once a week.

Basiclly I've been spending the past few weeks checking out other martial arts schools in the area and deciding how modern arnis is going to fit in now. Another bit of irony is that a week before i found all of this out, a friend of mine told me to check out this judo school and I was very impressed. I wanted to train there, but I didn't see how I could fit both Judo and Modern Arnis into my schedule, considering that i work and go to school part time. I guess now I have my answer.

After checking out a number of the schools in my area, I have decided to sign up for the judo school's program. Now the only question is how (and if) modern arnis fits into the equation..

I figure I have about 3 choices with Modern Arnis:
1) stop Modern Arnis training completely (maybe take it up some years later)
2) keep training through camps alone.
3) take the 1 day a week class in addition to camps.

The one good thing is that I was teaching my younger cousin some of the modern arnis that I learned so I would have a training partner. I like working with him because he is about my size (which is very large, for those who have never met me :) ). I don't particularly want to stop training with him, because we both enjoy it..

More than likely I will still sign up for the judo class and take option 3 in my above list.

Thanks,

Jon

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:

The reason why I ask is that my current Arnis instructor is going to stop teaching his class, so I've had to make some decisions about the future of my martial arts and Modern Arnis Training. The irony is that I just (re)joined the school about a month and a half ago, after being out of the area for a year. The classes used to be 2-3 days a week. Now, from what I have heard, the senior student (Lakan) is going to continue it, but only once a week.

Basiclly I've been spending the past few weeks checking out other martial arts schools in the area and deciding how modern arnis is going to fit in now. Another bit of irony is that a week before i found all of this out, a friend of mine told me to check out this judo school and I was very impressed. I wanted to train there, but I didn't see how I could fit both Judo and Modern Arnis into my schedule, considering that i work and go to school part time. I guess now I have my answer.

After checking out a number of the schools in my area, I have decided to sign up for the judo school's program. Now the only question is how (and if) modern arnis fits into the equation..

I figure I have about 3 choices with Modern Arnis:
1) stop Modern Arnis training completely (maybe take it up some years later)
2) keep training through camps alone.
3) take the 1 day a week class in addition to camps.

The one good thing is that I was teaching my younger cousin some of the modern arnis that I learned so I would have a training partner. I like working with him because he is about my size (which is very large, for those who have never met me :) ). I don't particularly want to stop training with him, because we both enjoy it..

More than likely I will still sign up for the judo class and take option 3 in my above list.

Thanks,

Jon

Is it possible for you to train with some one else in the area?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just wanted to step in and say that from what I saw of Mark Lynn at the symposium, he had the seminar training thing down to a science. A very extensive note taker, which is part of the game for seminar training. I don't think I ever said so, but Mark has impressed me with his ability to reference notes from early events going back as far as 94'....a fine example of 'how to' train effectively through seminars. :)

I will say that that there are many roads to a destination, and for some, travelling to train with the best beats paying due's at a mediocre dojo back at home. Some people can learn from seminars very effectively.

btw...before the accusations come a-flyin'...I had an instructors at home, still do, and I trained seminars, and still do. ;)

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
The one good thing is that I was teaching my younger cousin some of the modern arnis that I learned so I would have a training partner.
Jon

This is probably one of the best ways to approach seminar training. Go to the seminars with your partner (or small group). At the seminar you will work together to get the technique, drill, concept down so when you go home and train, anything you may have forgotten, your parner may have remembered it. Take it in small doses, you won't remember everything at the seminar, but try to pickup and retain your favorites. You'll have smoke coming out of your ears and will probably forget it ALL if you try to remember everything. Sometimes the person giving the seminar will have video tapes that suppliment the material covered in the seminar, some people will allow you to tape it yourself. As long as your having fun and don't care about climbing the ranks who cares?

As for me, I studied other Arnis before getting my initial training through Modern Arnis seminars, so I concentrated on left on right Tapi Tapi, I wanted to retain something unique of Modern Arnis. Through the seminars I met Bruce Chui, Johny Quest, and Ray Dionaldo all within 2 hours of me. Through Ray I met Roland Rivera, and our own Palisut (Harold). I later met Datu Shishir and he filled in some of the blanks I was missing, but by that time, I was pretty much doing my own thing, a piece i learned hear, a piece i learned there.

I always say the FMA student has big responsibility to LEARN and make the art thier own. seek out guides when you need them, but don't rely on them completely, for many will make you carbon copies of themselves if given the opportunity.

OP
M

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Is it possible for you to train with some one else in the area?

Ken Smith's school in Orland Park is in the general area, although it is pretty far South. Also, one of the other senior students opened up a school recently, athough it is pretty far North.

One of the things that resulting from my instructor stopping his teaching is that I have really had to re-evaluate why I study martial arts and what I train for. Since my contract was cancelled due to the program being cancelled, I was in the position to ask myself "based on what I know about other arts, and what my needs are, what should I be training in and who should I be training with?."

The answer I came back with was that I need to spend more time grappling with a resisting partner. Based on my body type, and personal preferences, I feel that this is the best choice. Also, the opportunity to train with someone as skilled in judo as my prospective instructor doesn't come often (he's been doing judo for 40+ years and very well respected). Combine that with the fact that this judo club was one of the few places I've seen with guys close to my size to grapple with, and the decision was pretty easy.

However, I really don't want to completely stop doing Modern Arnis. Beyond all of the weapons stuff, Modern arnis has the best close range empty hand techniques I've ever seen. I was shocked at how much better with my hands a little modern arnis made me. The hand techniques are the only ones I've seen that (I'm sure there are others) that show how to transition fluidly from striking range to grappling range. I remember back when I was studying hapkido, I learned a bunch of great joint locks, but I kept asking my instructor "But how do i get his hand/wrist if he is punching me", Modern Arnis gave a pretty good answer to that. Plus, I just love the beauty of the system. It is a joy to watch and practice.

Jon

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mcjon77 said:
Ken Smith's school in Orland Park is in the general area, although it is pretty far South. Also, one of the other senior students opened up a school recently, athough it is pretty far North.

One of the things that resulting from my instructor stopping his teaching is that I have really had to re-evaluate why I study martial arts and what I train for. Since my contract was cancelled due to the program being cancelled, I was in the position to ask myself "based on what I know about other arts, and what my needs are, what should I be training in and who should I be training with?."

The answer I came back with was that I need to spend more time grappling with a resisting partner. Based on my body type, and personal preferences, I feel that this is the best choice. Also, the opportunity to train with someone as skilled in judo as my prospective instructor doesn't come often (he's been doing judo for 40+ years and very well respected). Combine that with the fact that this judo club was one of the few places I've seen with guys close to my size to grapple with, and the decision was pretty easy.

However, I really don't want to completely stop doing Modern Arnis. Beyond all of the weapons stuff, Modern arnis has the best close range empty hand techniques I've ever seen. I was shocked at how much better with my hands a little modern arnis made me. The hand techniques are the only ones I've seen that (I'm sure there are others) that show how to transition fluidly from striking range to grappling range. I remember back when I was studying hapkido, I learned a bunch of great joint locks, but I kept asking my instructor "But how do i get his hand/wrist if he is punching me", Modern Arnis gave a pretty good answer to that. Plus, I just love the beauty of the system. It is a joy to watch and practice.

Jon
I definitely understand about studying what you enjoy. I would suggest networking checking out the contacts that you already mentioned and Datu Tim's contact as well in the meantime.

Best of luck to you,

Harold

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul

Thanks for the kind words and I hope we can get together at another seminar sometime, maybe get to workout some together. :asian:

Mark

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
mcjon77

Jon

You mentioned your interest in judo and grappling, in time you might take a good look at what you have learned in Modern Arnis or the FMA and apply/blend your judo/grappling skills with it. Eskrido is a system created by one of the Canete brothers (Doce Pares Escrima) combining judo with his system of escrima. I only saw it once on a tape but it looked awesome to me. The off balancing moves and the throws using the stick. It might be something later on to check out if you really get into the judo.

good luck with the new class, it sounds great to find a school with good instruction (40+ years in an system that's really pretty rare these days).

Mark

Arnis_DeMano

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I train Modern Arnis from private lessons i take under the summer. I must say that the hardest thing about just taking privates are that i always haft to train alone!But don´t get me wrong i love taking private lessons.I would be pleased if there were a classes i could go to one or two times a week...
It is the repetions there are important not the knowledge about the technique. (of course the knowledge about the technique is important to.)

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Arnis_DeMano said:
I train Modern Arnis from private lessons i take under the summer. I must say that the hardest thing about just taking privates are that i always haft to train alone!But don´t get me wrong i love taking private lessons.I would be pleased if there were a classes i could go to one or two times a week...
It is the repetions there are important not the knowledge about the technique. (of course the knowledge about the technique is important to.)

Hi Arnis DeMano

I give private lessons in arnis and I must say the hardest thing about teaching privates is allowing the student to continue to twist and bend my joints in un natural positions many times over so they learn the lock or control technique right. :)

Take care
Mark

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Arnis_DeMano said:

Welcome abort Kris. Tell everyone I said hello and I'll be seeing you in November.

:asian:

Latest Discussions