How many of you train your off hands as well as your primary?

How many of you train your off hands as well as your primary?

• I train both sides equally

• I train one side much harder

• I only train one side

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many of you train your off hands as well as your primary? Why do you do this?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I train my right side much harder then my left. The reason I train with my left at all is so that I'm not a complete dunce if I have to put a weapon in that hand. Lately, I've been trying to take unig zyow and turn it into a left hand form. THAT is hard.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are going to get cut/shot its probably going to be to your dominant hand.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Once your body learns how to move, it doesn't matter much which side it moves with. Sure one side might be a bit more precise, but when you truely have it, you have it, regardless of what side. So training the "other" side isn't that important in my opinion.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't realize that this was in the Filipino MA forum. However, I still stand by my opinions.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train my right hand more, but not exclusively. When Prof. Presas was alive he emphasized training both hands, and I study Doce Pares with an instructor who pedantically insists on it, but for myself, I think the strong hand should be emphasized. See also this discussion on FMATalk.com.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
If you are going to get cut/shot its probably going to be to your dominant hand.

You beat me to it..

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I won't vote since the section isnt anything I know anything about, but I train both sides as equally as I can, and right now my right is a bit better, which is odd because I'm left handed.

When I started my left was better but that's changed. I've written it off to my kicks being better on the right because I'm balancing on my left, and because I usually fight right side forward to accomodate everyone else. My reverse punches are definitely stronger on the left though, as are my sidekicks.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I trian my right hand more than my left but do try to train both on all techniques.

Latest Discussions