how many of you integrate muay thai into your JKD?

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
i was just wondering, i apply some muay thai on the bag and with hand pads when working with punch combos and my footwork when i train.

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
where are you from? where do you train? do you have any helpful tips on bag drills or combos you do durring sparring?

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I definitely integrate Muay Thai into my JKD. Anyone whom trains JKD Conceptual Training under the lineage of Dan Inosanto, also integrates it into their JKD as well. It was one of the original styles that Lee researched in his development of JKD. I also hope to incorporate some Muay Boran into my cirriculum as well.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was in a hurry to post before, I could not better explain, the boss was over my shoulder and I posted to get back to work. I agree with you about anyone who trains in the Inosanto camp will intergrate Muay Thai into there training, but I would not call what goes on in Ajarn Chais seminars JF/JKD concepts. We can draw from it, but when I work JF/JKD I don't do a Wai Kru/Ram Muay. If you train under a legit JF/JKD instructor, then you can say I intergrate Muay Thai into my JF/JKD, but just anyone who trains Muay Thai and freestyles can not call what they do JF/JKD. I'll will say it, I mis-spoke so to speak with my post. Been doing JF/JKD, Bama Lethwei & Muay Thai since 1983, and there was a lot of Muay Thai already in the concepts. I guess I intergrate a lot into my JF/JKD. I stand corrected! PEACE

kravkundo

White Belt
Reaction score
i had the opportunity to give a guy several knees to the siatic nerve during a fight last month. very effective. he could hardly move when i tosed him onto the ground

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started off my training here:

http://aseama.com/

which intergrates MT into the curriculum. Now I am now at a JKD school and the insturctor has a MT background. I think MT is awesome due to it's simple (for lack of better words) techniques.

Erik H

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I love using muay thai in my JKD training because eventually you are going to clinch and as other have said, the siatic nerve will get your intention. It doesn't hurt per se but your leg goes numb. The inside works just as well too.

Giorgio

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused... I don't do JKD, but I have studied the philosophy of Taoism extensively, and I was under the impression that JKD took from that, in the sense that the 'best' martial arts style is relative to the person: to his body type, to his training methods, and to his personality. I heard Inosanto and Lee talk about how JKD looks different with every practitioner, because each is learning what is most efficient and effective for him. So is it possible to say that you can't incorporate Muay Thai concepts, or that they should only be incorporated to a certain degree in JKD? What if the 'classic' JKD stance of strong side forward etc. isn't what works best for someone?

Can someone just clarify how much orthodoxy there is in a something that I always thought was more of a way of thinking about martial arts, rather than a martial art in itself.

Example: I have heard from a lot of people, some on this forum, that the side kick is not a 'real' muay thai kick, and using it is bad form. But in sparring, it works for me, and so I've incorporated it into my repertoire. The same goes for some basic wing chun sticky hands routines, when I'm working with thin gloves. Although I'm not pretending that this means I practice JKD, i would say from my knowledge of it that that's the spirit of what JKD is about... but I could be terribly wrong. Comments?

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Giorgio said:
I'm a bit confused... I don't do JKD, but I have studied the philosophy of Taoism extensively, and I was under the impression that JKD took from that, in the sense that the 'best' martial arts style is relative to the person: to his body type, to his training methods, and to his personality. I heard Inosanto and Lee talk about how JKD looks different with every practitioner, because each is learning what is most efficient and effective for him. So is it possible to say that you can't incorporate Muay Thai concepts, or that they should only be incorporated to a certain degree in JKD? What if the 'classic' JKD stance of strong side forward etc. isn't what works best for someone?

Can someone just clarify how much orthodoxy there is in a something that I always thought was more of a way of thinking about martial arts, rather than a martial art in itself.

IMHO you are absoulutley correct about the idea of JKD when you said, "I heard Inosanto and Lee talk about how JKD looks different with every practitioner, because each is learning what is most efficient and effective for him."

that is True. i believe that is what makes JKD the best Martial art(IMHO). Not only does it transcend Style and stylized patterns, but the idea behind it is to be free, formless, so that after learning the proper techniques that suits you, you can develop the spirit of the true martial artist. and be limitless.

Latest Discussions