How many of you believe you will be fighting someone like you?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Alot of martial arts let you believe there art will defend and save you from harm?

Think about it? Who are the most likely attackers, criminals,gang members,rapist, bullies,really bad dudes. Most of these people DO NOT CARE what they do to you....?

Yet we do not want to cause harm to others...because we were not brought up that way. (hurting/killing) is not a part of our lives ,lot of us go to Church and believe in loving all people.

Do you have the "mindset" or killer instincts to survive? or do you believe the person you are fighing has the same morals as you?

Be prepare to die or get injury.......the Samuria code got it right!..Aloha

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All of the fights I have lost I can point to a single moment where I said, "I do not want to fight. I do not want to be involved in this conflict, and I do not want to hurt this person."

However, these thoughts have led me to get my head bounced off a set of concrete steps, knocking me unconscious. I've also had fat lips and less serious injuries.

At some point in every conflict, it is far too late for these thoughts. If your awareness did not lead you to avoid the situation before now, you must clear them from your mind, and do what is necessary to survive. I have been lucky, so far, and understand that you don't really lose any fight which you survive.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
That all sounds a bit melodramtaic to me. Most self-defence situations are unlikely to include someone trying to kill you. I'd be interested to hear if there are any credible statistics which show whether assaults are mostly caused by "hardened criminals". Obviously it depends on the nature of the assault, but you get my gist.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, In the book Attack Proof written by a retire police officer. His reports says: over 26,000 people are killed every year in fights, and more are injury.

Please research this? You will be surprise of the numbers. Look at the FBI crime records? How many people are murder, rape, mug, and so on?

Why do you think we have so many prisons? and so many of the criminals are let out early to make room for the new criminals?

and the ones that get out..commits 70% or the crimes today.

Rapist are not cure by jail time.....and when they are let out? they do it again and again.

............have a nice day........Aloha

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
What percentage of assaults result in death? And also, are you only talking about USA?

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've done some googling and I've found this statistic (http://timlambert.org/1994/10/dgu-00007/ -together with someone's analysis), apparently attributed to a study of over 14,000 incidents by Gary Kleck. Not sure what year the study was in (definately pre-1994) or geographical coverage but I'd guess it's USA.

Anyway, apparently only 0.35% of assaults result in death, and that would discount unreported assaults and domestic assaults, so the true fraction would be far less still.

Also, the full crime report is here: http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/CIUS2004.pdf

It is a lot of reading and needs further analysis to put the figures into perspective, but here are some basic figures for 2004:
% of US population murdered in 2004: 0.005%
% of US population victims of violent crime in 2004: 0.46%

Back to the murders, only 12.9% were attributed to strangers (although 44.1% were unknown)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its ridiculous to assume that God fearing people wont defend there children from harm. There are those that hide their heads and hope it all works out but, and they are cowards no matter what their spiritual upbringing.
Sean

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, All the figures is of the USA. Go down to any police station and ask how many people get into fights in the neighorhood.

Please research those numbers in may vary from enforement agenies.

You will not hear of many daily indidents in your town/cities...because they happen so routinely and do not make the news anymore.

If you have a police officer friends talk to them.

We live in a very violent world and each generation teaches the next one to hit back when someone hits you? don't we tell our kids that when a bully harass them? or some other kid hit them in the playground.

fight or flee.....human nature........tag your it and I run....Aloha

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
I've done some googling and I've found this statistic (http://timlambert.org/1994/10/dgu-00007/ -together with someone's analysis), apparently attributed to a study of over 14,000 incidents by Gary Kleck. Not sure what year the study was in (definately pre-1994) or geographical coverage but I'd guess it's USA.

Anyway, apparently only 0.35% of assaults result in death, and that would discount unreported assaults and domestic assaults, so the true fraction would be far less still.

"Aggravated Assault is an unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury. This type of assault is usually accompanied by the use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm. Attempts are included since it is not necessary that an injury result when a gun, knife, or other weapon is used which could and probably would result in serious personal injury if the crime were successfully completed." (Crime in the United States 1999, USDOJ-FBI)

]I suggest you look at the FBI webpage

In particular this page, on murder, where you will note:

Of those incidents in which the murder weapon was specified, 70.3 percent of the homicides that occurred in 2004 were committed with firearms. Of those, 77.9 percent involved handguns, 5.4 percent involved shotguns, and 4.2 percent involved rifles. Approximately 12.4 of the murders were committed with other types or unspecified types of firearms. Knives or cutting instruments were used in 14.1 percent of the murders; personal weapons, such as hands, fists, and feet, were used in 7.0 percent of murders, and blunt objects (i.e., clubs, hammers, etc.) were used in 5.0 percent of the homicides. Other weapons, such as poison, explosives, narcotics, etc., were used in 3.6 percent of the murders. (Based on Table 2.9.)

As well as, (and this is for the original poster):

Of the homicides for which law enforcement provided supplemental data to the UCR Program, the victim-offender relationship was unknown for 44.1 percent of the victims. For the incidents in which the relationships were known, 76.8 percent of the victims knew their killers and 23.2 percent were slain by strangers. Among the incidents in which the victims knew their killers, 29.8 percent were murdered by family members and 70.2 percent were killed by acquaintances.

As for the rest of it, “One’s like us? They’re all dead!”

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
That all sounds a bit melodramtaic to me. Most self-defence situations are unlikely to include someone trying to kill you.

Actually, the guy who bounced my head off a set of stairs was a classmate of mine. He wasn't a hardened criminal, but he certainly could have killed me.

Luckily he didn't want to, because I couldn't have done anything to stop him at that point.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To try and help put our students and myself in the proper mindset we use terms like enemy rather than opponent or competator. In the UKF (Universal Kenpo Federation) under Mr. Pick Kenpo isn't a sport it is a knife system firmly based out of Ed Parker's American Kenpo System. Make no mistake about it we are training for combat and the worst case senario.

V/R

Rick

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many fights that starts...most people do not intend to kill the person only to create alot of pain.

But it doen't take much to hit your head on the corner of a wall or fall and hit something that kills you, or receiving a blow that causes you to die. Happens many times where the person did not want to kill but only to hurt the guy. I'm sorry I only want to hurt you and not kill you????

OOPs ..........Jail time........Aloha

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
Still Learning,

I think you need to consider the crime statistics more carefully. You keep posting about how common murder is etc. It's not that common and the statistical chances of being a victim vary greatly depending on your location, ethnicity (sorry, the figures do show that), gender, age and from my experience in UK, your own (eg criminal) activities.

Violent crimes are terrible when they happen. But encouraging paranoia, fatelistic or triggger-happy mentalities is not sensible self-defence IMO.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just having the mindset to avoid doing harm to another is different from being blindly immersed into it.

There will come a point at which there's no return, and you will fight for your life. If not for your life, then for the life of your children, your significant other, etc. At that point, I'm fairly certain that most of us on this forum would conclude (whether voluntarily or involuntarily) that the time for talk is over.

Different people, though, will have different "points of no return," when it comes down to it, and different situations can create different such points as well.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I am not paranoia? I have a friend who is a police officer and we use to go fishing/camping a lot and he tells me a lot stories that do not show up in the news that happens daily. When we travel together or in a store (I live in a small place -KONA). he always point out the criminals around us and many of them know him too.

I just want to share something many people are not aware of...and it can happen to you (facing a really bad guy). How many of you practice facing this kind of people? .................awareness is living a little longer...Aloha

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Question: What are your thoughts when facing an opponent?
Bruce: There is no opponent.
Question: Why is that?
Bruce: Because the word ''l'' does not exist.
A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself (shows his fist).
Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it.

I think the only thing going through your head at that particular moment is the fight. For me once, the guy is up in my face there is no point of return. I cant sit around and try to talk him out of it, I have to cover my own ***. Once the guy is down on the floor or hurt in a way that I know he will not or can not attack me then I will stop. I dont like hurting people, and I ve never gloated or been happy about having to fight, but sometimes you simply have to and I have to agree with Rutherford, once you start clouding your mind with trying to get out of fighting you lost your focus and that can be dangerous.

As far as morals, that is a good question, certainly if someone out on the street is going to rape or assault or rob a person that individual has a lack of morals, but you know fights can also start for different reasons: drunk people in a bar, a guy who had a bad day at work and drank too much and got violent, two guys fighting over one girl. The only thing going through my head at the time of a fight is that the person in front of me doesnt care enough of what may happen to him if he wants to go out and start a fight with someone, but if he doesnt care what happens to him, he obviously must care even less about what may happen to me, so avoiding the fight is out of the question at that point. What it does not give me the right, at least in my opinion, is to beat a person severely when that person is already in a state where he can no longer harm me.

To answer the last part of the question, I dont really think I would ever fight someone like me cause I hate fighting.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
The best Sushi I ever had was in Kona. Anyway, how many times have you been murdered lately?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have always been pretty calm and layed back until I get threatened or someone tries to smack me! :0) Then I am still calm but on high alert! :0)
I don't assume anything but try and evaluate what the threat really is and what are my their strengths and weaknesses vs. theirs.
Most situations i have been able to de-escalate and avoid conflict.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
kickcatcher said:
Violent crimes are terrible when they happen. But encouraging paranoia, fatelistic or triggger-happy mentalities is not sensible self-defence IMO.

Funny-my house is in the forest, and, in spite of that, my insurance tells me that the chances of my house being consumed by a forest fire are actually lower than the chances of my being a victim of criminal violence. Granted, that depends as much on the weather as anything else, and, while my home is still standing unscathed, we have had to evacuate 3 times due to nearby forest fires (as in had to: fireman knocking on the door at 2 a.m) .

By your reckoning, somehow though, preparing against such an eventuality is "paranoid and fatalistic." Equally so, as you've stated, for preparing against the possibility that one will be the victim of a violent crime.

I've been the intended "victim" of violent crime, on several occasions, and in three different countries. I didn't become a "victim" because I was prepared to answer violent crime with what is, essentially, the only answer in that situation: controlled violence. I defended myself, because I knew how. In one instance, someone was breaking into my home, and the simple sound of the action on my shotgun, preceded by my saying "Get out of my house, now!" was enough to send them running, but I would hae shot them if they hadn't. Not because I'm trigger-happy, but because that's what's called for in that situation-like it or not, if someone is invading my home, and they've been told to leave, and they've heard that distinctive ker-chuck!, then they need shooting. Ditto rapists, muggers, and various other actionable assaults-and if no firearm is available, then violence must be answered by running, or with violent physical training, or meek compliance.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
elder999 said:
By your reckoning, somehow though, preparing against such an eventuality is "paranoid and fatalistic." Equally so, as you've stated, for preparing against the possibility that one will be the victim of a violent crime.
Not at all, but we need to keep things in perspective and we need to consider a scalable response which allows us to fit the response to the circumstance.

Latest Discussions