How many martial artists do you know from outside?

How many martial artists have you met from non martial arts venues (i.e. work)?

• None -- All my martial arts buddies are from training

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 1 - 2

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • 3 - 5

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • 11+

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I only hang out with martial artists.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted 11+. Sometimes, I think martial artists are everywhere - a belief that's led me to treat everyone I meet as friend or foe as a potential martial artist who knows as much if not more than I do myself.

A cliche I know, but it's always the quiet ones you need to watch out for. I've lost count of the times that I've "found out" someone at work or a compadre in another hobby activity is a closet martial artist. And these are the guys and girls I respect the most. They get on with it without being all showy.

Where I work, one guy in particular eternally bigs up his "fantastic" martial art proficiency - a real bad mofo, 3rd dan, articles in the work magazine "How I excel in MA", runs a class in work itself [it's a big company]. Man, this guy is tiresome - a real walking stereotype. Ok, so these folk are everywhere but unfortunately, his disciples possess the same "terrifying" auras, striking instant fear and commanding utter respect from us "non" martial artists, ha! I don't class these folk among my 11+ answer. For me, they constitute an unavoidable subset of martial artists - they're the pure talkers with little stomach for the actual doing and living through MA - the MA-daytrippers.

Much respect to all us MA-doers!

Latest Discussions