How many martial artists do you know from outside?

How many martial artists have you met from non martial arts venues (i.e. work)?

• None -- All my martial arts buddies are from training

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 1 - 2

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • 3 - 5

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • 6 - 10

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • 11+

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • I only hang out with martial artists.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two from work. One is a former Tracy Kenpo instructor and the other studied EPAK for six years and studied at the same Tae Kwon Do school as a kid that I did. Both are great guys. Unfortunately, I've often found martial artists that I meet outside of a dojo to be insufferable, self-absorbed and immature. Probably because those are the ones walking around telling everybody that they're "Martial Artists". I'm sure I know many others far more mature who are Martial Artists but don't go bragging about it all the time. In those cases, I'll only know if the subject comes up.

On edit: Congratulations on making MT Black Belt, HandSword!

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Aaah Yes! The braggarts, shirt, sweater and hat wearers! I forgot about those people and didn't even count them. If you do, It's probably a whole city's population. All of them are apparently black belts too.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I'm sure I know many others far more mature who are Martial Artists but don't go bragging about it all the time. In those cases, I'll only know if the subject comes up.

Ditto that. I know half a dozen or so guys that are martial artists, and I've trained with most of them at one stage or another, but I knew them before I trained with them.

Doubtless I know more, but it's not something most people brag about.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Questions like these probably could be a bit more specfic i.e. how well... good friends, acquaintances, or somewhere in between. Do you also want to count those we've come to know (and sometimes love) here on MT? I've made more than half a dozen or so. If you in actual face to face in person then my number(s) still range fairly high, if you meant (see what I mean??) meeting them once or twice or just knowing them because they're the instructor(s) of your good friend?

As good friends go about four or five
Acquaintances certianly far more than 20.

All of them ranging between white belts to as high as Senior Masters of their art (i.e. Yip Sing of Wing Chun) and all in between.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just learned last week that my boss just got her shodan in Judo. The only way I found out about it was that she had some pictures on her desk getting her cert. Might even start training some with her school. Others, I've met through my wifes work.

JeffJ

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I said 3-5...a couple from my church, one I've known since childhood (we both took it up not knowing what the other was doing until recently), and another two from our staff.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quite a few, 6-10 that I know of and met other than at my studio/martial arts events. Most of them are from my work or through my sons' extracurricular school and sports activities. There are probably more martial artist friends, but they haven't mentioned/indicated to me that they train.

- Ceicei

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
This one kid that did a family style, I meet him 6th grade. I haven't seen him since we "graduated". And two girls in my home room right now. I have a few freinds who are thinking about training. Ohh, does boxing and wrestling count towards this? Or only Asian styles? If western styles count then it's closer to 10 or 15.

John

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I voted before I read other people's comments. I think I should have asked what you meant by martial artist.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Over the years i have met many who at one time studied a martial art but only a handful that stayed in it a long time

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hawaii is an island and many of us go to the same tournments. Plus most schools are nearby. Through the years you learn who trains and what styles.

So the answer is "Many"....some do become close friends...others just known by faces only.

It is always good to know the "enemy"(just a term here use to describe others with good intentions)....those who train in the martial arts.

It does surprise you sometimes to find out the person who you just met use to be a world kickboxing champion. I met two from work. One was a heavy weight class in Canada and the other train under a famous TKD teacher today, in American when he had only three schools.

It does build a bond...............Aloha

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Know a few from Childhood, grew up with two STUNNING Latinas when I lived near Sunset Park , they trained at their Dad's Dojo, then the Limas moved in and the son trained, then met another thru my neighbor HJ, his cousin Stewart was training, had an oddball(to me) stance tho, looked like all you'd need to do was step over a bit and you break his leading leg.

Met Sensei Tommy Carano of Hoteikan at work about 14-15 years ago, visited him today at the new Dojo and he was kind enough to invite my daughters in for a little demonstration by his students on roll outs and counter moves.

---
http://www.urbanskinz.com

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let me see:

3 (at least) from my church that I've met. One of which is also my Mary Kay beauty consultant. I dated a guy in high school that was taking kenpo, I went to college with someone that was a green belt, baby sat a kid that was into martial arts, worked with a lady that taught, my dad works with a guy who him and his 2 daughters are taking- I met them a few times, I also worked with a guy that was going to go into the junior olympics in TKD.

That's all I care to think and type up right now.

Latest Discussions