How many headbutts can you do in one second.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only joking.
What i really want to know is do you other Wing Chun guys and girls some times perform sil lum tao form with your eyes closed ?
Our master used to get us to do it occasionally and he'd say just let your mind take you through the movements.
I find i can achieve a deeper level of concentration and relaxation than normal doing it this way. Does any body else do it ?

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yep yep yep.... it helps me switch out of the real world and kids in the background and also focus on the tension/relax aspect of the form.
i also do it at speed and full power at least once in the practice session to bring the techniques to life in my head.

oh and its 20 headbuts per second but i throw up and go blind for 5 mins after. and if you put on some disturbed cd wen you practise this its better....:barf:

matsu

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's one of many things I do every now and then mix things up. I also do one legged, mega-slow, one leg forward, change height of techniques, and shifting around my feet.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It is very good to do this. It relaxes you more, it helps you to focus on your body instead of everything around you, and it makes you work position on sensitivity (ie judging where your jum sao ends up without having to look)

Generally, I have also found that finding a place to remember really helps your sil nim tao
I used to practice sil mim tao in a very memorable place and now, wherever I am, I still remember that place when I practice it

Too many people perform sil nim tao looking around or not concentrating on the movement

It is such an important part of wing chun development

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doing both is best. If you do it enough, all the points should be addressed either with the eyes open or not.

Some say its for therapy, I believe I use it so that I can do the form and work on feeling center at the same time

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
honestly it never occured to me to try it that way :uhyeah: but now my curiosity is piqued im gonna try it right now!!!

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Here is an important point.

SLT can be performed to train many different things.

With eyes closed you can train the proprioceptive neuromuscular systems and to trust more the internal points of reference for better power, strength and stability. You can also use special awareness techniques before and during SLT for inner and outward senses. You could call that Qi Gong eyes...

Also, to practice in actual operational stances and postures like rear bow with an active Wu Sao is very beneficial (looks lie a T stance with feet on 2 lanes instead of one... some call it juen ma... it is the most stable stance possible in the forward direction... more on this if asked.)

I call that the "activated" SLT.

Again, if you concentrate on making just one thing or aspect better each training session, you will be so far ahead of the curve that it will amaze you in no time.

Hope this helps.

Juan M. Mercado

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
P.S. About 3 headbutts in a second... remnants from my headbanging days in a heavy metal band! Great neck exercise! ;)