How important is torque when punching.... why, when, how?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Did you drop Short and Long 3 as well?

Since it is the very first technique of those forms, I find it interesting that "ANYONE" would drop them out of the system.

Who is your instructor again?

:confused:
oops I got mixed up I was refering to that yellow belt tech against a bearhug. And we didn't exaclty drop long three, but short three is the dominant form of the two. We wouldn't teach destructive twins starting with you hands at your sides either so I guess we threw out the original version for our modified version (as with most techs).
Sean

M

MisterMike

I think body rotation is the only "torque" that can add power to a punch.

As for the isolated torque in the arm, well, all that seems to do is line up the fist with the target, and possibly align the muscles and bones of the arm to withstand harder impact.

Just my 50,000 foot view of it though. I know the diehard Parker guys will look a bit deeper.

R

Rainman

Originally posted by MisterMike

As for the isolated torque in the arm, well, all that seems to do is line up the fist with the target, and possibly align the muscles and bones of the arm to withstand harder impact.

Just my 50,000 foot view of it though. I know the diehard Parker guys will look a bit deeper.

Interesting- torque (depending on what the exact movement is) is only one of the principles working. Combine torque with inertia, gravitational marriage, body momentum, directional harmony, a slap ck, a pam, back up mass and a specific target you now are beginning to do American Kenpo. Torque always works with something else so it is not a primary power enhancer, nothing is unless you start to look at conditioned responses and on up the line. Something is responsible for strarting movement and without movement none of these principles reach the external. Many of these principles are working daily internally and for me that is where true power comes from.

Body rotation- That's pretty good. Centrifugal force (outside of a circle) and centripital force (inside of a circle) can be triggered from pivoting (nuetral to horse) and unwinding from a twist stance. These are all forms of rotational force. Look for the trigger and work your way down you will find all sorts of answers.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by MisterMike

possibly

R

rmcrobertson

Uh...neither Short nor Long 3 starts with hands at sides, unless of course you consider the salutation to be the beginning of the form. (And like dude, when does, like a form really, "begin," eh?) Both forms go into Destructive Twins from a meditating horse stance, as the hands go down and in....

S

Stick Dummy

GD-7,

I think from my VERY limited exposure to Kenpo that it is very important t apply torque to all techs.

A good instructor will teach you the 5 W's (Who, What, When, etc etc) of the subject once you are ready to learn it.:asian:

Torque is critical from the FMA/IMA perspective and I'm sure a similar path is being followed to enlightenment in advanced Kenpo levels.........

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
:xtrmshock
:rtfm:
I was talking about using the tech outside the context of short three, but even from a meditating horse , both hands torque.:asian: Funny side note is that I was talking to an old time Kenpoist freind of mine today on the phone, and told him I mixed up the words destructive and aggressive twins and he started describing alternating maces. I said he just described alternating maces and he went," oh yeah I guess I did " He promissed to get back to me on aggressive twins, but I suspect he hadn't learned it either.:)
Sean