How does Hapkido compare to

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
spinkick said:
Well luckily for me, one of my cheif instructors studied in the Grambies school of wrestling for a long time for those who do not know that's grecko Roman wrestling, and a little history while i'm at it, when the first jiujitsu guys came over the Wrestlers tore them up. Anyway I have a pretty good array of weapons on the ground. But I've never really liked jiujitsu to much because If i have to fight its going to be to save my life so if someone puts me in the gaurd im biting him and gauging out his eyes.

If you have read EJ Harrison's "The Fighting Spirit of Japan" you will find that EJ didn't think much of his "catch as catch can" skills after being embarrassed by a Japanese policeman who was also a Judoka in 1901.

For that reason,among others, I very much doubt that western wrestlers "back in the day" had anything so special as to compete with the impressive arsenal of locks,chokes,and throws of Kano's Judoka or Kano Ryu Ju Jutsu as it was known at the time.

Now..if you meant that the average Joe who stepped off the plane from wherever as an instant Grandmaster..then I could see where you got that from,but written history has shown that the early contact with Jujutsu and the like were anything but lop-sided victories.

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
spinkick said:
Well luckily for me, one of my cheif instructors studied in the Grambies school of wrestling for a long time for those who do not know that's grecko Roman wrestling,

Spinkick, when you say Grambies school do you mean Granby system, like the Granby roll? Because if so, I think there may be some mix up. That technique is used in folkstyle exclusively (because of the way the points are scored).
If it is something different please post more about it on the grappling forum if you don't mind. I find if very interesting hearing about different styles of wrestling.
Thanks

howard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Marvin said:
Spinkick, when you say Grambies school do you mean Granby system, like the Granby roll? Because if so, I think there may be some mix up. That technique is used in folkstyle exclusively (because of the way the points are scored).
I suspect he did. Googling "Grambies wrestling" brings up nothing.

I grew up in the town (Norfolk, VA) where the Granby roll was created. It was created by a high school wrestling coach named Billy Martin. He coached wrestling for years at Granby High School. He produced many outstanding wrestlers, including numerous guys who went on to become NCAA champions, and a few olympians. Both of his sons were outstanding wrestlers. I knew one of them (David).

Martin taught traditional wrestling of the type that's done in high schools and colleges across the US.

What do you mean by "folkstyle" wrestling?

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
howard said:
What do you mean by "folkstyle" wrestling?

Howard, when I say "folkstyle" I am talking about elementary, high school, college wrestling, big air throws are not allowed.

Freestyle has a different set of scoring rules and the takedowns can have more amplitude. Freestyle is done in the Olympics.

Greco/Roman, you can not attack your opponents legs to do a take down or use your legs or feet to trip him or take him down. All throws/takedowns are from the waist up. Also an Olympic sport.

Latest Discussions