How do you go about memorizing technique names?

A

AHinnebusch

Hey all,
I have since the onset of my Kenpo experience had a hard time remembering and connecting the names of techniques to the actual techniques. It's not that I won't remember the technique in a situation, it just I have a hard time remembering what it's name is!

When you go about learning a new technique what do you do to help remember the name of a technique?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Delayed Sword

First you execute a right block stepping back into a right neutral blah blah

then with your right sword hand shoot a chop to his neck or back of head.

In this case the Sword Hand is delayed it isn't the first thing that comes out.

so on and so forth for techniques such as alternating mace, five swords thundering hammers (me personal favorite I just have a hard time getting someone to put me in a head lock at 35 yrs old).

Thanks
Rick

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I usually just say the technique name before and after I do it during practice. Might not be the best way, but it works for me.

-Dave

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All thhe techs names correspond with the type of attack or defense.

For example, techs with the word "storm" involves defense against club attack, techs with the word "cross" are against chokes.

think about the distinguishing movements of the techs to help you differentiate between other techs (ie. "5 swords" have several handsword strikes).

I believe there is a thread somewhere on this forum that gives the definitions of certain words used in technique names.

- Ceicei

OP
A

AHinnebusch

it would be great to see those definitions!

OP
R

RCastillo

I always teach my people that the name of the technique is synonymous with the movement. (In Tracys) It helps me, as it does them.:asian:

Big Pat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Years ago under the 32 technique system I made flash cards [Bound 4x6 inch]. I recently made some for the IKCA techniques-they work great for me. Be creative and write you own explanations.

EKP RIP
Big Pat :asian:

OP
A

AHinnebusch

Yes Flash cards are great! What I have been doing is saying the technique just before I do it each time and taking flashcards on my commute into work each day. It seems to be helping a great deal!

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Most of the technique names are an analogy of some sort. They describe a part of the technique or part of the attack. Ie. Crossing Talon-Cross wrist grab. A talon is a wrist grab. Storm is a club attack, lance is a knife attack, rod is a gun attack. Once you start to decipher these, your instructor should help, then they get easier.

OP
N

Nick Ellerton

i found that whilst learning the techniques to actually do them in the order of the sylabis, and then when the name fits the technique (in ur head of course) then you will have no probs remembering the technique, but this is just me =o)

cheers

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I haven't really had a problem. Except when I hadn't been practicing for a while and I couldn't remember any of the techniques. What seems to work for most of the people I know is flash cards. Usually with the name on one side and the tech. written out on the other. Having someone call out random techniques for you to perform seems to really help develop the ability to recall techs. on the fly.

-Rob

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was a little difficult early on, however once I became familiar with Kenpo terminology memorization was no longer necesary, the way the techniques are named I am able to easily figure out which techniqe is which.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
AHinnebusch said:
Hey all,
I have since the onset of my Kenpo experience had a hard time remembering and connecting the names of techniques to the actual techniques. It's not that I won't remember the technique in a situation, it just I have a hard time remembering what it's name is!

When you go about learning a new technique what do you do to help remember the name of a technique?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
I don't. I habitually forget them, but have the joy of rediscovering them about every 2-3 years. I'll remember the moves, but not the names. To me, they're "the one against a grab where you do that thing before you do that other thing...you know, the one with the funny stance change before the knee".

D.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll remember the moves, but not the names. - Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

its probably not that you are even remembering the moves, but have internalized the art. you're better off... things make sense and just flow.

as the song goes, that's what its all about~

pete