How did you discover MMA?

Scout200

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Several people have a story as to what influenced them to become a fan of or even partake in the martial arts... How did you discover MMA?

-Scout

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
I actually got into MMA and UFC this year. For the longest time I had been opposing to it. I thought there wasn't enough respect to the arts by not wearing gis, that it was too bloody and not enough technique..you know, everything that I could think of coming from a traditional Martial Arts Background.

What got me in was watching GSP in an episode of Primetime with Hardy. His philosophy and training ethics just left me whaoo.

After that, it's been slowly increasing in my involvement and what can I say, now I even want to train MMA and see what it like for myself.

BloodMoney

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nearly ten years ago now I saw a grainy VHS of some Gracie challenges. Was pretty impressed and started watching UFC with UFC 1 and then got hooked. Got into Pancrase and Pride, K1 etc...watched them ever since.

I regret not getting into BJJ till recently (due to Wing Chun commitments) but hey, better late than never. As I do street self defense with Chun im not really interested in re-learning striking for sport, though I do do sport BJJ, I'm not interested in competing. I might have a spar with some of the MMA boys when our club merges with a bigger gym. I already train with a few of them in BJJ but not striking (I kinda wanna 'test' myself, and also play with some clinch game).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Several people have a story as to what influenced them to become a fan of or even partake in the martial arts... How did you discover MMA?

-Scout

I got in to MMA right after UFC 3 in 1994....when a buddy and I got ahold of the tapes of UFC 1, 2 and 3. 16 years later a lot has changed.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About eleven years ago when the Army posted in a new sergeant major who started a martial arts club on the Garrison, he was also the security officer for one of the camps here so as I worked with him he persuaded me to come along. I had done Wado Ryu karate and occasionally TKD it wasn't a big leap to start another style. He's out of the army now but the club is still going strong.
I went to shows our fighters were on as well as other fight nights and was involved in MMA here long before I saw the UFC.
My instructor has been doing MMA for a long time, since it was introduced to the UK.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Late 80's, one of my sensei was big on video tapes of various martial arts, started getting tapes from Japan on shooto matches, never seen anything like it. When the first UFC came on TV, it was exciting to see the style vs style fights. Watching as MMA has rapidly evolved into a style of its own, with larglely recognizeable components has helped keep things interesting. Sometimes miss the old days when PKA kickboxing was the big draw, but MMA has taken over.

OP
Scout200

Scout200

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In the past, the MMA has meant very little to me but now it has definitely peaked my interest!! I'm a MMA "newbie" so I'm frequently catching vids off of youtube to become familiarized. :)

mcmoon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually got into MMA and UFC this year. For the longest time I had been opposing to it. I thought there wasn't enough respect to the arts by not wearing gis, that it was too bloody and not enough technique..you know, everything that I could think of coming from a traditional Martial Arts Background.

What got me in was watching GSP in an episode of Primetime with Hardy. His philosophy and training ethics just left me whaoo.

After that, it's been slowly increasing in my involvement and what can I say, now I even want to train MMA and see what it like for myself.

If you like gsp then you should look up fedor emelianenko. He is a russian fighter and up until recently was undefeated in like 28 fights. He is also a real humble guy like gsp but a beast at the same time.

p.s. this is for if you haven't already heard of him

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

-Scout

1993. Around that time, I had begun to explore BJJ, so hearing about Royce of course, sparked my interest. I enjoy MMA, have a huge collection of UFC and other assorted MMA fights. I've adopted many of the MMA ideas, into my own personal training. :)

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got into it, I guess, from hearing about this crazy event that some promoters were looking for some fighters to take part in.:uhohh: That UFC thing. I did not know what it was and neither did anyone else at that time.:idunno: There was this whole story of some crazy family saying they could not be beaten in a street fight.:eek:

Next thing I know, the UFC is on PPV.:headbangin:

KenpoVzla

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you like gsp then you should look up fedor emelianenko. He is a russian fighter and up until recently was undefeated in like 28 fights. He is also a real humble guy like gsp but a beast at the same time.

p.s. this is for if you haven't already heard of him

I keep hearing about fedor, he has some huge publicity, but I'm still not sure why he hasn't joined the UFC. I think he even declined a contract last year.

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Loved martial arts since I was a kid (8 or 9). Took my first 'karate' lesson at 10 and immediatly felt something was missing..."why am I standing in a horse stance?"... Stopped after a few months.

Still loved the Idea of martial arts at 19 I started with 'isshin ryu'...immediatly felt something was missing... "why am I standing in a horse stance?" Switched to "tae Kwondo..."why am I standing in a horse stance?"...Saw the second UFC and saw all the horse stance commandos get their collective *** handed to them on silver platters..."I knew It!"...

A pankration/mma school opened up next to my work place, and I immediatly knew I had found what I was looking for(reality). After a few months I and others could (sadly) routinely tap out visiting black belts from traditional systems.

While MMA is sport, it does develop attributes that "TMA" could only dream of. Practicing at real speed with real resistance is truly the only way to go. Could you expect to go through the motions of riding a bike then jump on the bike and cruise? No. And by the same token you can't stand in a cat stance throwing reverse punches at the air and expect to react in an appropriate manner when a barroom brawler bum rushes you.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Loved martial arts since I was a kid (8 or 9). Took my first 'karate' lesson at 10 and immediatly felt something was missing..."why am I standing in a horse stance?"... Stopped after a few months.

Still loved the Idea of martial arts at 19 I started with 'isshin ryu'...immediatly felt something was missing... "why am I standing in a horse stance?" Switched to "tae Kwondo..."why am I standing in a horse stance?"...Saw the second UFC and saw all the horse stance commandos get their collective *** handed to them on silver platters..."I knew It!"...

A pankration/mma school opened up next to my work place, and I immediatly knew I had found what I was looking for(reality). After a few months I and others could (sadly) routinely tap out visiting black belts from traditional systems.

While MMA is sport, it does develop attributes that "TMA" could only dream of. Practicing at real speed with real resistance is truly the only way to go. Could you expect to go through the motions of riding a bike then jump on the bike and cruise? No. And by the same token you can't stand in a cat stance throwing reverse punches at the air and expect to react in an appropriate manner when a barroom brawler bum rushes you.
I cant agree with any of that. There is a reason for training in horse stance which would have become apparant to you if you had stuck around for more than a couple of lessons. I would back a black belt in ishin ryu (spelling?) against a "bar room brawler" any day of the week. I have no problems with someone who has achieved a decent rank in a TMA discussing some reservations with their art but I cant take anyone seriously bagging out TMA's after quitting at white belt. And I wont even waste my time giving you a list of successful mma fighters who have a TMA as their base art.

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I cant agree with any of that. There is a reason for training in horse stance which would have become apparant to you if you had stuck around for more than a couple of lessons. I would back a black belt in ishin ryu (spelling?) against a "bar room brawler" any day of the week. I have no problems with someone who has achieved a decent rank in a TMA discussing some reservations with their art but I cant take anyone seriously bagging out TMA's after quitting at white belt. And I wont even waste my time giving you a list of successful mma fighters who have a TMA as their base art.

I would venture to guess that most MMA fighters started out in TMA...until they figured out that standing in a horse stance was a waste of time.

Could you explain why it is wrong to quit something that you know is a waste of time, but staying with it for years is commendable?

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would venture to guess that most MMA fighters started out in TMA...until they figured out that standing in a horse stance was a waste of time.

Could you explain why it is wrong to quit something that you know is a waste of time, but staying with it for years is commendable?

Well you could be right of course but it hardly explains why the MMA fighters are actually Dan grades. :)

You might like to explain why you consider it a waste of time? if you knew it was straight away at age ten you must be a martial arts guru and I'm anxious to learn why you think you know better than Bas Rutten and a lot of other very good fighters. :)

I've been having a go at TMA people who do this to MMA so don't you go bragging about MMA when I'm actually guessing you don't know half as much as you think you do and only half as much as you ought too.

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well you could be right of course but it hardly explains why the MMA fighters are actually Dan grades. :)

You might like to explain why you consider it a waste of time? if you knew it was straight away at age ten you must be a martial arts guru and I'm anxious to learn why you think you know better than Bas Rutten and a lot of other very good fighters. :)

I've been having a go at TMA people who do this to MMA so don't you go bragging about MMA when I'm actually guessing you don't know half as much as you think you do and only half as much as you ought too.

I wanted to learn self defense. I never wanted to be a kata master. That doesn't mean that I know anything more than the next guy, but it does mean that I know what I wanted out of martial arts and I knew it early, but it took years to finally find it.

If someone else is happy punching and kicking air then have at it. I just never could see how it translated to the real world. I have a sneaking suspicion that all of the kata's and forms are really just ways to prolong the student having to pay, but thats just me.

Have you ever seen Mr. Rutten in a horse stance? In any of his matches have you ever seen him throw a standard "karate" block of any kind?

I'm not trying to argue, I am simply giving my point of view. And I am open minded enough to admit if I am wrong and to change the way I do something if a better way is found. I hope you are the same.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If someone else is happy punching and kicking air then have at it. I just never could see how it translated to the real world. I have a sneaking suspicion that all of the kata's and forms are really just ways to prolong the student having to pay, but thats just me.

Sounds like you might have had poor instruction or you never stuck around long enough to learn what all those 'useless' kata are for. I know from your writing that at least the second is true.

I'm glad you found what you're looking for.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score

I have to agree wth tez, you must have been a martial arts guru as a kid to do a couple of karate lessons and know "something was missing". I would say that most MMA fighters who start with a TMA base and decide they would like to try the 'sport' side of martial arts go and train some mma to tailor what they know to the ruleset of sport fighting, Im sure its not because "they figured out that standing in a horse stance was a waste of time". MMA is a sport and to be successful in that sport you must train in that sport. Why does machida still train karate if he has worked out its useless?

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you might have had poor instruction or you never stuck around long enough to learn what all those 'useless' kata are for. I know from your writing that at least the second is true.

I'm glad you found what you're looking for.

Do you train for self defense or just for the heck of it? Have you ever been in a violent encounter? Have you ever seen a violent encounter? How did they go down? Do you punch from the hip? From a horse stance? I'm willing to learn. Just point me in the right direction.

Talon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to agree wth tez, you must have been a martial arts guru as a kid to do a couple of karate lessons and know "something was missing". I would say that most MMA fighters who start with a TMA base and decide they would like to try the 'sport' side of martial arts go and train some mma to tailor what they know to the ruleset of sport fighting, Im sure its not because "they figured out that standing in a horse stance was a waste of time". MMA is a sport and to be successful in that sport you must train in that sport. Why does machida still train karate if he has worked out its useless?

Have you ever seen someone successfully punch another person while launching the strike from the hip? No? Then why practice it?!!

Latest Discussions