How did Taekwon-Do (1955) predating 1966 look like?

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it's easy to forget nowadays that up until 1988 South Korea was a dictatorship. It wasn't until 1988 that South Korea became the modern democracy that we all know and love today, home of K-Pop, K-Tigers and Gangnam Style.

Personally, I think Choi was stuck between a rock and a hard place in terms of trying to promote taekwondo: he had communism in the north, and a dictatorship in the south...and in that mess he had to find funding and political support for his life's passion: promoting a style of martial art that would definitely NOT be confused with Japanese martial arts.

So here's another way one could look at it...

If Choi had been motivated only by his own self-interest, he would have taken a much different path in life: he was already a general, and an ambassador...he could have played it safe, compromised more often, stayed on the good side of his government, and his career could have gone on indefinitely.

Instead, he kept poking his fingers in everybody's eyes because dammit he wanted his style of taekwondo to be globally loved! Even if it meant he had to be kicked out of his cushy government positions, split away from all his colleagues and friends, and even leave his homeland entirely.

To me, that sounds like a man obsessed with a mission, not a man obsessed with himself. A man obsessed with himself would have taken the easy route. But that's just my opinion.

In any case, one could attribute Choi's change-of-heart about Kukkiwon/WTF-style taekwondo to it success on the world stage...or just as legitimately you could attribute it to the fact that the dictatorship he had hated to much had finally fallen and was no longer its primary advocate. I'm inclined to think it may have been more the latter than the former.

But what do I know, I'm no expert.

He liked the publicity Taekwondo recieved as an olympic sport, which I believe was his own dream with ITF (correct me if I am wrong). Far from everyone accepts that he was the founder of TKD (he certainly founded ITF), yet he called himself taekwon-do (that's his second name, in case you didn't know). His opinions are not unique. I have already told you guys here that there have been representatives for ITF that have said the exact same thing about WTF. That is: ITF is real TKD.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He liked the publicity Taekwondo recieved as an olympic sport,

I don't know whether he did or not, I don't know enough for an opinion on this but if he did what's wrong with that? Having your sport included as an Olympic sport is quite an achievement and rightly anyone would be pleased. Don't turn it into an accusation.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know whether he did or not, I don't know enough for an opinion on this but if he did what's wrong with that? Having your sport included as an Olympic sport is quite an achievement and rightly anyone would be pleased. Don't turn it into an accusation.

I guess you didn't listen to the clip. Btw, he also bashed your dear Karate, claiming that TKD was an improvement (surpassed) Karate, as if this was a fact by the time his encyclopedia was written. Silly beyond belief.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet nobody listens...

Ohdearhowsadnevermind.

I guess you didn't listen to the clip. Btw, he also bashed your dear Karate, claiming that TKD was an improvement on Karate, as if this was a fact by the time his encyclopedia was written. Silly beyond belief.

So? he's entitled to his opinion as much as any of us, he may have genuinely believed it and why shouldn't he? Everyone should be proud of something they either created or helped create. Did you think he would say 'well actually TKD is rubbish and karate so much better'? Did you think I would cry? Silly boy.

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ohdearhowsadnevermind.

So? he's entitled to his opinion as much as any of us, he may have genuinely believed it and why shouldn't he? Everyone should be proud of something they either created or helped create. Did you think he would say 'well actually TKD is rubbish and karate so much better'? Did you think I would cry? Silly boy.

So don't tell me I can't say TKD has better spinning back kicks and get all worked up and cry: "Style basher!". General Chois opinions of WTF makes me look soft. He also flattly stated that Karate has been surpassed by TKD. That's a blow on Karate too. I find it all hilarious.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So don't tell me I can't say TKD has better spinning back kicks and get all worked up and cry: "Style basher!". General Chois opinions of WTF makes me look soft. He also flattly stated that Karate has been surpassed by TKD. That's a blow on Karate too. I find it all hilarious.

Er, I don't know how to tell you this, but you are the only one who is 'worked up'

To me General Chois is a historical figure, what he said has to be taken in context.

'Blow on karate' now that is funny, I think you mean blow for karate, only it's not is it cos no one cares...but you :D

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Ok.....ignoring the fact that you just compared yourself (someones whose been proven incorrect and fairly unknowledgable time and again) to someone who helped found TKD.....

Choi is not the first korean GM to hold those opinions, and he wont be the last. But its still style bashing. Its also massively opinion and not nearly as provable as being able to show you clips and facts correctng points youve tried to make.

Youre trying to justify your opinion with someone elses......While we all respect Choi, anyone with an actual Instructor will tell you that being a GM or instructor doesnt just make one right....if you feel it does, you have a whole separate issue regarding training there bud.

As for the change of heart? I can almost promise you its because he knew how good itd be for TKD in general. Lots if folks still despise separate orgs now in TKD, but they suck it up, smile, and send theyre students to those events to help spread

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
'Blow on karate' now that is funny, I think you mean blow for karate, only it's not is it cos no one cares...but you :D

There is a blow on something - Karate.

To me General Chois is a historical figure, what he said has to be taken in context.

And what I say has to be taken into the context of highest IQ in the room.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a blow on something - Karate

And what I say has to be taken into the context of highest IQ in the room.

Lol, now that's chutzpah, trying to tell a native English speaker how to speak English!

And that sentence makes no sense whatsoever, what are you trying to actually say?

OP
L

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, now that's chutzpah, trying to tell a native English speaker how to speak English!

And that sentence makes no sense whatsoever, what are you trying to actually say?

You have to view my comments in the context of a highly gifted individual, who can put two and two together. This is complete nonsense from General Choi, later asserting"it's all TKD" when WTF was accepted into the olympics. You heard the man.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have deja vu here. Haven't we done the deluded philosophy undergraduate thing before?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to view my comments in the context of a highly gifted individual, who can put two and two together. This is complete nonsense from General Choi, later asserting"it's all TKD" when WTF was accepted into the olympics. You heard the man.

Are you going to get this highly gifted person to sign up to MT talk then?

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

For someome "highly gifted" you seem to have misread all the times we explained that..

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Dude, you are not gifted. At least not in the context of discussion. Delusions of grandeur, or what?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have deja vu here. Haven't we done the deluded philosophy undergraduate thing before?

He didn't tell us who the philosophy undergrad was though, thought he'd introduce us so we could have had a good debate. :D