How annoying is it when someone bumps a long dead thread?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One forum I'm on, almost DAILY sees new, young bassists asking "what's the best bass for metal?" That question has LITERALLY been asked thousands of times on that forum. The choices are: answer the question to the best of your ability or don't.
On a pro audio forum I sometimes haunt, there's a sticky post for "the best (cheap) mic stands". Same kind of problem - it was asked so many times.

No real point to this - your post just reminded me of that, and how many times those guys must have answered it before one of the mods got fed up and collected answers into a sticky.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality, but inexpensive microphone stand. Any suggestions?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high quality, but inexpensive microphone stand. Any suggestions?
There's no one best answer. You should visit all of the music stores in your area. Ask to try a stand or two at each. Then buy the stand you like the best, that is most convenient to you. Use the stand regularly. If it doesn't meet your needs, try someplace else.

There's no such thing as a "best stand" - just good singers.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's no one best answer. You should visit all of the music stores in your area. Ask to try a stand or two at each. Then buy the stand you like the best, that is most convenient to you. Use the stand regularly. If it doesn't meet your needs, try someplace else.

There's no such thing as a "best stand" - just good singers.
Oh, and if you're going to use it in a street festival, make sure you get a stand that's designed for the street. Those stands designed for sports arenas don't work in the street.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You know, of course, that when this thread dies, it will be necro'd many times just because it's funny to necro a thread about necro'ing threads, right?
In another thread started by @PhotonGuy, we were talking about how we like to respond to really old threads. @Buka pointed out that we really ought to be having that discussion in a necro'd thread. So, with that in mind, I will not only necro an old thread about necro'ing old threads; I will actually quote a post in that thread about how funny it is to necro a thread about necro'ing threads.

Boom. I win!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread started by @PhotonGuy, we were talking about how we like to respond to really old threads. @Buka pointed out that we really ought to be having that discussion in a necro'd thread. So, with that in mind, I will not only necro an old thread about necro'ing old threads; I will actually quote a post in that thread about how funny it is to necro a thread about necro'ing threads.

Boom. I win!
Well played, sir.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I scroll through the Active Topics, I sometimes witness a thread that has supposedly blown up overnight over a real basic title. I click it, aaaaaaand, whatdyaknow, the first post of the thread was made when I was a toddler, with the latest post supposedly trying to catch up on the action. This is really, really marginally annoying at worst. Especially when repliers (usually very new members) address the OP directly, and good chance is, they're long gone, multiple years ago. Part confusing, and tragic.
Its only as annoying as you let it be. If you've got problems with people bumping old threads on internet forums you've got issues.

Latest Discussions