"House of Discipline" part 2

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A few years ago I posted a thread & asked if anyone has the phrase "House of Discipline" in their dojang. When I became TKD in 1982 my Korean instructor had this written above the the flags at the front of the room. It was a reminder that this room was not just a place where we learned a sport, but it was also a place where we learned to be focused & discipline ourselves.

I thought I'd ask again if this was a phrase in your dojang. What does this phrase evoke in you? Is it a helpful phrase, or would it not fit in your school?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tom I remember that thread and since then I have added to my wall, right above the sign saying if blood and sweat is not what you want, then why are you here?

SJON

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used to train with a Korean master who had WORK IS MY REST in huge letters across one wall. His classes certainly put that motto into practice.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is not currently up, but will be by the end of next week.

I have always liked, "The workout is not over until there is blood on the floor."
Thought I would add.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If someone came into our dojo and asked if this was the "house of discipline", we'd likely point him to Madame Pain's S&M club down the street... :mst:

It fits, just wasn't the first thing that popped into my sick mind... ;)

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When studying terminology we use this exact phrase as our definition of dojang. Never thought to put it on the wall though, great idea!

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When studying terminology we use this exact phrase as our definition of dojang. Never thought to put it on the wall though, great idea!

Lauren, this is what I was taught as well. My first instructor taught as though the goal of TKD was discipline, rather than a great Side kick. Yet, he taught as though the way to learning to be disciplined is through learning what a great side kick is. (Am I making any sense?)

I love the idea of teaching discipline through attention to detail. At the risk of sounding like Master Po from "Kung Fu" I believe one can learn best when one's mind is focused.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have it on a large wooden craving our Grandmaster Hwang gave to us. It is in the heavy bag area ,where all can see it. We like it for the cool looks better than some cheap poster. All the best in the arts P.S. Thanks for the posts

Latest Discussions