House Approves Flag-Burning Amendment

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I, too, had never heard of disassembling the flag prior to disposal. One source on etiquette suggested asking a local VFW to dispose of the flag, and offer a small donation for their service. I then looked to the VFW web site and found these instructions.

http://www.vfw.org/index.cfm?fa=cmty.leveld&did=2477

Flag Disposal
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Suggested Procedures for Disposing of a Faded, Worn Flag

1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm also a scouting leader and have witnessed flag disposal. The BSA ceremonies I've witnessed involved pledging the flag held open by scouts, then folded properly, then saluted as it was placed into the wood fire. All remain silent while the flag burns completely, then the fire is extinguished and not used for any other purpose.

Interesting, isn't it? One might wonder if the language of the disposal of the U.S. flag is left open for reasons of rights?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As much as I am disgusted by anyone burning a flag, I have always been of the belief that if you really believe in the freedom that it represents, then that freedom must extend to give some jerk off who wants to burn it that right.

Just my take on it.

Latest Discussions