Honour and respect in UFC

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My knowledge of UFC is very limited so forgive my ignorance here, but I've been watching a few matches on and off and there doesn't seem to be any respect or honour shown by the fighters at all. I'm not so much talking about the fighting itself, but the relationship between the fighters in between rounds, and before and after the matches. From what I've seen it's all hate and macho man type stuff, with no respect for your opponent at all. Things like trash talking, shouting insults at one-another, taunting, etc. Is this normal behaviour in the UFC or have I just been really unlucky with what I've seen?

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unlucky with what you've seen there's to many clowns like connor mcgreggor and ronda rousey but there's plenty of respect shown even by touching gloves or in between rounds fighters have given each other a hug or high fived. George's st Pierre former champ always bowed before he entered the octagon, Anderson silva former middleweight champ used to kneel to his opponents after a fight. When a fighter gets knocked out or submitted often the opponent will help them up and give them a hug or raise their hand. It's just sad that the clowns who trash talk take away the respect from the sport

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
A lot of it is show for selling tickets, a lot of it is a part of the psychological fight.
It is 'entertainment combat sports' so the ability to sell tickets is what makes the fighter marketable.
It is a mental contest as well as physical hence the amount of time spent 'getting into the opponent's head'. A by-product of that psychological fight is stoking the emotions of the opponents fans who paid to see their fighter shut the trash talkers mouth.
Behind the scenes there is a lot of respect with the fighters.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's a competitive, professional sports league. the question of whether or not there is honor and respect in Mma is different than in the UFC.

your question is kind of like asking about honor and respect in professional rugby or the NFL.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I pretty much watch every fight in every fighting sport that's televised. And I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to. I mean, none, zip, nada.

Maybe it's a have to get into the water kind of thing.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
The fighters are generally very respectful aside from a select few of them.

OP
Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a competitive, professional sports league. the question of whether or not there is honor and respect in Mma is different than in the UFC.

your question is kind of like asking about honor and respect in professional rugby or the NFL.

The principle applies to all sports. I don't know, I just feel the attitude is completely different compared to other 1v1 sports. I'm probably looking too much into it but that's just the impression I get that the fighters in UFC don't respect each other at all. And if it is just for show to sell tickets, that to me is even worse because fans pick up the perceived attitude of the fighters they like. Those fighters are role models to a lot of people, and if people see them disrespecting others in the ring, there is a good chance of the fans (at an unconscious level) thinking that they can disrespect others too. That's how real life fights and riots start.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
the impression I get that the fighters in UFC don't respect each other at all.

That is a false impression. Few of them will not respect eachother but the majority do. Unfortunately it is the loudest ones who get noticed.

because fans pick up the perceived attitude of the fighters they like.

I have seen this happen with bjj fans, but we must as people should never judge something based on the fans. That is not fair to the others who are kind and respectful people. The same goes for the arts, do not look up to smoke and mirrors and hype, look up to what is real.

That's how real life fights and riots start.

Not necessarily, only if the people involved are knuckleheads like myself which I do need to work on. The majority of martial artists tough will just not spar with said people and not train with them.

They also ignore many people like that.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The principle applies to all sports. I don't know, I just feel the attitude is completely different compared to other 1v1 sports. I'm probably looking too much into it but that's just the impression I get that the fighters in UFC don't respect each other at all. And if it is just for show to sell tickets, that to me is even worse because fans pick up the perceived attitude of the fighters they like. Those fighters are role models to a lot of people, and if people see them disrespecting others in the ring, there is a good chance of the fans (at an unconscious level) thinking that they can disrespect others too. That's how real life fights and riots start.
Did you not watch the video I posted

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
there is a good chance of the fans (at an unconscious level) thinking that they can disrespect others too. That's how real life fights and riots start.
And that is why they are known by the term 'fan' which is the abbreviated version of the word fanatic.
Meaning one who is marked by excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion often with an unbalanced obsessive behavior toward to a person, team, opinion or ideal.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think you're right. You're reading to much into it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you're right. You're reading to much into it.

I think he should go experience it whether it's competing in ameature fights or watching them. There are lots of fighters who touch gloves and help eachother up and even hug after the fight.

spaced

White Belt
Reaction score
My knowledge of UFC is very limited so forgive my ignorance here, but I've been watching a few matches on and off and there doesn't seem to be any respect or honour shown by the fighters at all. I'm not so much talking about the fighting itself, but the relationship between the fighters in between rounds, and before and after the matches. From what I've seen it's all hate and macho man type stuff, with no respect for your opponent at all. Things like trash talking, shouting insults at one-another, taunting, etc. Is this normal behaviour in the UFC or have I just been really unlucky with what I've seen?
Its not just the UFC, what about the likes of Fury and Briggs in boxing? Its all done to raise hype and sell tickets and pay per view. This isnt a recent trait, the late Ali was doing it way back with Foreman, Frazier etc.

This interview proves that Fury's previous rants were all show. Here he is being honest and normal and even admits its all for show -

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Unlucky with what you've seen there's to many clowns like connor mcgreggor.................but there's plenty of respect shown even by touching gloves
Would that be the same Connor McGregor that went to touch glvoes with Denid Siver, but Siver refused?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would that be the same Connor McGregor that went to touch glvoes with Denid Siver, but Siver refused?

Not touching gloves isn't really seen as a duche move. Pretending to touch and then popping the guy is frowned apon.

Latest Discussions