Hong Kong Kung Fu guys challenge Mongolian wrestlers

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3 Hong Kong Kung Fu guys trained very hard before they challenged Mongolian wrestlers. It's excellent idea to test your MA skill outside of your comfortable zone. What's your opinion on those matches?

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no matter the intentions of the Kung Fu practitioners there will always be people who consider this nothing more than a publicity stunt, in an attempt to improve the popularity of Chinese Martial Arts. Matches like this have a habit of causing a lot of arguing in the MA community regardless of the outcome and I can't see this benefiting the reputation of Chinese Martial Arts in any way. Maybe I'm being too cynical but I always get wary of things like this.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Looks like fun to me.

I kind of like the leather studded tops. Must be tough to break in new ones.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't follow the storyline very well, so I just skipped to the matches. Looked like fun grappling. The last one looked extremely outmatched - his opponent looked like he was demonstrating a technique rather than wrestling an opponent.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The last one looked extremely outmatched - his opponent looked like he was demonstrating a technique rather than wrestling an opponent.
He tried to circle around his opponent. His opponent borrowed his momentum and took him down.

I like this "inner hook, scoop" combo used in that clip. You attack one leg, you then attack another leg.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He tried to circle around his opponent. His opponent borrowed his momentum and took him down.

I like this "inner hook, scoop" combo used in that clip. You attack one leg, you then attack another leg.

He just did it so nonchalantly, it didn't even look like a contest. He had that blasé look most of us have when demonstrating a technique in class.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He just did it so nonchalantly, it didn't even look like a contest. He had that blasé look most of us have when demonstrating a technique in class.
Those 3 guys trained very hard before the challenge fight. The Mongolian wrestling only last for 1 round. Either you win, or you lose. They put their reputation on the line. I don't believe that's a show.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those 3 guys trained very hard before the challenge fight. The Mongolian wrestling only last for 1 round. Either you win, or you lose. They put their reputation on the line. I don't believe that's a show.
I'm not saying anything negative about it, KFW. I was just commenting that he managed it so easily that he didn't even look like he ever had to try. It was surprising, after the fight the other two were able to put up.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying anything negative about it, KFW. I was just commenting that he managed it so easily that he didn't even look like he ever had to try. It was surprising, after the fight the other two were able to put up.

When things go perfectly, they often look effortless.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I couldn't follow the storyline very well, so I just skipped to the matches. Looked like fun grappling. The last one looked extremely outmatched - his opponent looked like he was demonstrating a technique rather than wrestling an opponent.

Yeah he phoned that one in.

But If I was a gun mongolian wreslter and had this blow in decide to compete. I would probably do the same.

Latest Discussions