Homeless Man Dies Defending Dog

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Homeless Man Dies Defending Dog http://www.knbc.com/news/13242136/detail.html
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A homeless man died Monday after a scuffle on San Jose's busy West Santa Clara Street just before lunchtime, according to San Jose police.
The man, Cornelius Van Der Vies, was a well-known figure in downtown San Jose because of his friendly nature and his constant companion Boo Boo.

According to witnesses, another homeless man began throwing things at Boo Boo and Van Der Vies jumped in to defend the animal.

Witnesses said the man then turned on Van Der Vies, kicking and hitting him until he collapsed.

The San Jose Mercury news reported Van Der Vies may have suffered a heart attack.

The newspaper set up a condolence page that was quickly filled with dozens of responses.

People who knew Van Der Vies have also set up a make-shift memorial in his honor.

People have been adding flowers and notes throughout Tuesday. Many people are just learning of the death as they come upon the memorial. Some openly weeped and were comforted from strangers who were gathered.

Van Der Vies' dog is now in an animal shelter on Monterey Highway in San Jose.

More than 20 people have volunteered to adopt the animal, but a worker at the shelter told NBC11's Garvin Thomas that Boo Boo has a history of bites and may not be suitable for adoption.

San Jose police said at approximately 11:43 a.m., police responded to the 100 block of West Santa Clara Street to reports of a man who was down as the result of a beating.

San Jose fire personnel pronounced Van Der Vies dead at the scene.

Due to the suspicious nature of the man's death, the San Jose police homicide unit was called to the scene and is handling the investigation, police said.

On Monday afternoon, a man was detained in connection with the death. If it is determined to be a homicide, it would be the 10th homicide in San Jose this year.
This is a sad fact that goes on in life somewhere in the world. Maybe not daily... not like this anyway ... but it shows that even the poorest of the poor still get up and defend whats theirs and their loved ones. Made me wonder who mourns him. Who would even remember him? Who's taking care of the dog now?

Sad and deserves a moment of silence.

Attachments

• $homelessguy.png
    $homelessguy.png
    54.1 KB · Views: 213
OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to put this... MODS??

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think Horror Stories is quite appropriate - remember that, while people post other remembrances in the Hall, it is primarily intended for "A place to post memories of, and tributes to departed practitioners of the arts, and other fallen warriors", and there is nothing in this story to indicate that the deceased gentleman fits that category - and the story definitely raised a sense of horror in my mind.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
He died defending one whom he loved and who loved him unreservedly in return. What better end can a man have?

We all die. Some of us are blessed with an end which gives us a chance to show valor.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He died defending one whom he loved and who loved him unreservedly in return. What better end can a man have?

We all die. Some of us are blessed with an end which gives us a chance to show valor.

I second Stone Dragone's "Amen" to that.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
but it shows that even the poorest of the poor still get up and defend whats theirs and their loved ones.

What else does a poor person have besides his or her loved ones? What does any of us have, really? With the very poor there are just fewer distractions.

Think about it. If he'd been on the streets for a long time that dog probably treated him better and more honestly than any of the people he was likely to deal with.

Ella

<B>Banned User - Multiple Accounts / Previously Ba
Reaction score
One has to wonder, though...

If all those people cared for him so much... why was he homeless? I mean, it's kind of messed up that if enough people loved him there's pages of memorials and flowers and things... why did no one reach out and help him?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One has to wonder, though...

If all those people cared for him so much... why was he homeless? I mean, it's kind of messed up that if enough people loved him there's pages of memorials and flowers and things... why did no one reach out and help him?

I would venture to guess that many, many people did try to help him. Some people actually choose to live on the street because they are used to that type of lifestyle.

I know of several situations when a homeless shelter/organization would try to take these people in and offer training, lifestyle classes, even a way to get a permanent shelter and/or job, only to be rebuffed. With these certain homeless individuals who reject these services, the homeless advocates at least do go check on them to make sure that they aren't starving to death, that whatever sicknesses they have are being treated and have sufficient stuff for their basic needs to survive (coats and blankets in winter for example). The police, more often than not, are on first name basis with them and will stop by to say hello and check on their wellbeing every now and then.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions