Hock Hocheim opinions?

Casa De Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been looking for some sore of knife fighting course and came across Hock Hocheim. Has anyone been to a seminar or seen his DVD's? Thanks!

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no knowledge of the material he teaches but I've read a few of his articles and he seems pretty "squared away."

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for FMA you will be disappointed although he does take a lot from his Modern Arnis background. He has a realistic point of view. I like his stuff. If you are looking for simple practical tactical blade he is one of the best. In fact you may not like the begining levels because he starts out with very basic stuff. I personaly recomend him. I also think his techniques would be easy to adapt to your own style as he has very simple footwork. Its not like trying to learn a new art.

OP
Casa De Kenpo

Casa De Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are looking for FMA you will be disappointed although he does take a lot from his Modern Arnis background. He has a realistic point of view. I like his stuff. If you are looking for simple practical tactical blade he is one of the best. In fact you may not like the begining levels because he starts out with very basic stuff. I personaly recomend him. I also think his techniques would be easy to adapt to your own style as he has very simple footwork. Its not like trying to learn a new art.

Thank you, you've been very hopeful. I'm actually looking to stay away from FMA towards something different. Can you recommend anyone else?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have attended a couple of Hock's classes, he knows his stuff...His knife stuff is GREAT..He teaches 3 different versions, civilian, police and military..He WILL NOT under any circumstances show any of the military applications to non-millitary presonnel...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's does have some good material.
icon6.gif

Dwight McLemore

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here you go.... I've been one of Hoch's Instructors for several years. I've done a lot of work with the man and find him to be a very gifted instructor and great person. The thing that drew me to Hoch's written and video material was the simple, grass-roots approach to teaching and the organization of the material into 'bite-size' pieces. There is no attempt to impress you with 'whiz-bang' stuff just good grounding in the fundamentals. I have both the old and new knife/Counter-knife programs and don't regret taking it at all.

All My Best
Dwight

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
He teaches 3 different versions, civilian, police and military..He WILL NOT under any circumstances show any of the military applications to non-millitary presonnel...

That's very nice. It makes the cops feel special and the soldiers feel even more special. He's not concealing anything that the "mere civilians" couldn't find with a small amount of effort. He makes the military types happy that he's on their side and law enforcement feel like he's on theirs. And the regular people who take his courses can at least bask in the reflected glory.

Imua Kuntao

Green Belt
Reaction score
He has paid his dues and is no beginner, he is ok and could hang with anyone. I would look around though, there are quite a few knife guys out there, me included. Shop around, dont buy material, experience it first then get the dvd stuff and there is alot of that also.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here you go.... I've been one of Hoch's Instructors for several years. I've done a lot of work with the man and find him to be a very gifted instructor and great person. The thing that drew me to Hoch's written and video material was the simple, grass-roots approach to teaching and the organization of the material into 'bite-size' pieces. There is no attempt to impress you with 'whiz-bang' stuff just good grounding in the fundamentals. I have both the old and new knife/Counter-knife programs and don't regret taking it at all.

All My Best
Dwight

Bravo...Well said..

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, you've been very hopeful. I'm actually looking to stay away from FMA towards something different. Can you recommend anyone else?

Kelly S. Worden's stuff is good but his primary art is Modern Arnis and FMA is a huge influence in his techniques, at least from what I have seen. I know Michael D. Janich has a good reputation in my circles but I haven't seen any of his material. I have heard mixed reviews of Lynn C. Thompson of Cold Steel. I personally liked his machete DVDs.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's very nice. It makes the cops feel special and the soldiers feel even more special. He's not concealing anything that the "mere civilians" couldn't find with a small amount of effort. He makes the military types happy that he's on their side and law enforcement feel like he's on theirs. And the regular people who take his courses can at least bask in the reflected glory.

Why would a civilian need to learn how to stalk up behind an attacker and grab to neutralize them making noise and terminate them? Military does need to know that.

If you actually had significant input like this person asked, then good. I'm sure everyone would like to hear about it and benefit from it. But, coming on threads like this to snipe at police and military doesn't accomplish anything positive.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Hey, marketing happens. What can one do?

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have trained with Hock and can say that he is a personable and professional teacher.

You say that you are not "into" the Filipino approach to the knife, what technique were you looking for?

Regards,
Walt

OP
Casa De Kenpo

Casa De Kenpo

White Belt
Reaction score
I have trained with Hock and can say that he is a personable and professional teacher.

You say that you are not "into" the Filipino approach to the knife, what technique were you looking for?

Regards,
Walt

I'm looking for less drills and more strategy/concepts/theory.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why would a civilian need to learn how to stalk up behind an attacker and grab to neutralize them making noise and terminate them? Military does need to know that.

If you actually had significant input like this person asked, then good. I'm sure everyone would like to hear about it and benefit from it. But, coming on threads like this to snipe at police and military doesn't accomplish anything positive.
I didn't see any sniping at LE or .mil, what I got from it was a commentary on the marketing practice of instructing some people in methods that you refuse to teach to others simply because of their affiliation (or lack thereof). Not that there's much he can show that's not available elsewhere, but it creates that "forbidden fruit" idea that is attractive to some.

Thankfully there are instructors that don't adhere to this strategy.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Precisely and well said, Kenpotex. That is exactly what I was trying to say.

It's a marketing strategy that works very well. It has nothing to do with sniping at any segment of the population and is not intended as an insult to Mr. Hockheim. That's just the way you have to do things to make a living in the - sorry 'bout the phrasing - cutthroat world of martial arts and combatives training.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
all I know about Hock is that Joe Lansdale LOVES the guy and what he teaches, and that says alot. Soke Lansdale has pretty high standards.

Latest Discussions