Hikitsuke - Knee snatch

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the Japanese term for ‘sliding on the knees’ as in Iaido kata, for example in ZNKR Mae? The equivalent on ones feet would be hikitsuke where the back foot is snatched up toward the front in okuriashi but I havent heard an equivalent for this movement on one’s knees.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody? Our Japanese speakers and residents?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I'll bite! It's more of a feeling, words can't describe it.

200w.gif

(But seriously, I have no idea. Good luck!)

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does anyone know the Japanese term for ‘sliding on the knees’ as in Iaido kata, for example in ZNKR Mae? The equivalent on ones feet would be hikitsuke where the back foot is snatched up toward the front in okuriashi but I havent heard an equivalent for this movement on one’s knees.
Are you referring to shikko?

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't speak Japanese but after looking it up "hikitsuke" roughly refers to a pulling movement, and in everyday Japanese can also mean "to attract" as in "fascinate". I guess the root is the same as in "hikite".

Hence, chances are that the knee version would be "hikitsuke" as well.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't speak Japanese but after looking it up "hikitsuke" roughly refers to a pulling movement, and in everyday Japanese can also mean "to attract" as in "fascinate". I guess the root is the same as in "hikite".

Hence, chances are that the knee version would be "hikitsuke" as well.
I think you’re right. ‘tsuke’ means ‘forwarding’, ‘hiki’ means to ‘pull’. The phrase makes no reference to the only the feet so I assume the same phrase is used for the knees-based movement. I suppose one could add ‘hiza no…’ to denote ‘of the knees…’ but a teaching context would make that redundant.

Hikitsuke…

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not certain, but OH how i wish I could still do that!!!
Have you tried. You know MA can do anything they put their minds to!

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you tried. You know MA can do anything they put their minds to!
Many times. Due to age and injury, you learn to pick you battles.
I used to be able to squat until my butt hit the floor and work in that position for as long as needed. Now, if I have to work down low, I get down on my butt with my legs hopefully out of the way.
My lower extremity injuries are a compilation of long stories I won't bore you with.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many times. Due to age and injury, you learn to pick you battles.
I used to be able to squat until my butt hit the floor and work in that position for as long as needed. Now, if I have to work down low, I get down on my butt with my legs hopefully out of the way.
My lower extremity injuries are a compilation of long stories I won't bore you with.
Oh that’s a shame. It’d be fun walking up to a bar like that, standing up and ordering a drink.

I started incorporating deep ‘Asian squats’ into my ‘between sets’ stretching at the gym and with good effect, but I couldn’t stay like that indefinitely unlike my other half who does the weeding from that position for hours on end!

Persons who spend a long time squatting like that develop ‘squatting facets’ or flattened areas on the ends of their tibia and talus bones. They are found commonly on the bones of our ancient ancestors and one can imagine them squatting around their fires late into the evening discussing the invention of ‘Love Island’ in the generations to come….