High-Tech Car Door

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder about the safety as well... but more of after-collision safety. Say a head on that is so hard that it bends the frame which could make the door inoperable. EMS would pretty well agree that pulling someone out of the window isn't an viable option unless threat to life is immediate (fire) and rescue tools are too far away (enroute). With a standard door a pry bar can (not always) be enough to break the latch and the door can still be swung open and the accident victim is extricated with minimal risk/compound injury to the spine.

I'd like to see rescue capabilities for this door before getting behind the wheel or passenger seat of one. It's a neato idea no doubt. But how well it handle stress of accidents is something that should be looked into... which I'm sure it has... just it doesn't make for good marketing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the plus side, it certainly makes for greater modesty for the ladies in evening gowns as they exit the vehicles.

Cool seeming idea but I too would be interested in seeing the safety data. Given that automobile safety has become something of a hot topic in the past couple of decades, I'm sure that this must've been through quite rigorous testing before hitting the open market.

Latest Discussions