High Kicks In Okinawan Karate

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I study two different styles of (Shobaiyashi Shorin-ryu and Shudokan) and both have low and mid body kicks. On occasional a front snap kick with go to the brachia-plexus but generally the attitude is more along the lines of what others have said (if you want to kick him in the head, go for the or get him bent over first, then kick him in the head).

I'm curious if you practice 2 different versions of the same kata, since I believe Shobayashi and Shudokan have overlapping forms.

BigRich

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm curious if you practice 2 different versions of the same kata, since I believe Shobayashi and Shudokan have overlapping forms.

No. When we have kata that overlap and there are differences in execution we practice it the Shorin Ryu way as it tends to be accepted as the more traditional.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No. When we have kata that overlap and there are differences in execution we practice it the Shorin Ryu way as it tends to be accepted as the more traditional.

I see. Do you practice any of the unique Shudokan kata like the reserved Kyoku kata? There's also some higher black belt forms like Soshin, etc.

Latest Discussions