high block

P

progressivetactics

Is a high block really a block? I know George Dillman has his theory, but what do you all think? Is there more to it then just stopping an attack at your face or head?

OP
S

Shadow Hunter

Several times I have used a movement that looks like a high block, but is not. Imagine yourself ducking to the outside of a right punch as you do a low strike to his ribs.

Unlike the dojo, many sucker punchers will leave their arms out after punching, especially if you have tuned them up. They tend to bring their arms down towards where they get hit in a instinctive manner. Take the right arm you hit him with and do what kind of looks like a upward block to his upper arm behing the elbow. You drive the guy across himself and up. He'll be turned to his left and can't hit you, but you have a clear shot with your left at his kidneys, spine, etc. If he did a cross punch with his left leg forward the whole time, it gets even funnier as his balance goes straight back over the weakest part of his stance and he falls onto his butt. Be sure to kick upwards into his jaw as gravity sends him down into the ground for the full effect. :D

OP
A

A.R.K.

Is there more to it then just stopping an attack at your face or head?

I would say yes. There are linear and circular high blocks with the various variations. Is the block simply to stop the momentum of the attacker? Or are we attacking the limb and placing it in a lock and backward sweep? Or intercepting it's momentum and placing the limb in an armbar with downward momentum to dislocate the shoulder? Or a simple slap & wrap combined with the appropriate counter strikes?

And that is just one linear and two circular techniques...

So yes, I would say there is much more than simply stopping the attack. We need to consider the appropriate counter to prevent further attack.

:asian:

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
the high block could be a lifting strike to break the elbow. From a grappling position the mount the high block could be a forearm choke or the start of a scissor choke.
Bob

OP
F

fissure

Is a high block really a block? I know George Dillman has his theory, but what do you all think? Is there more to it then just stopping an attack at your face or head?
This is a question that many people face after extended time practicing M.A.s.
After a while many of these tech. seem to fall short when applied as taught in most schools. This is where the "forms are for show" argument comes from. You have to decide whether alternate application makes sense to you or not. Look at the beginning of Bassai Dai - are you really franticly spinning in circles, inward and outwardly blocking a myriad of punches from all sides? If you have a decent amount of experience in fighting/sparring/whatever, then the answer will probably be no.You then have to decide if you are just practicing tech. for show - that is to say without ANY practical merit or begin to look at the possibility that there is more than meets the eye.
One thing is certain - wichever line of thought you prefer, there will be an equal amount of people who dissagree with you!:EG:

OP
F

fissure

Another though here, I remember my early Karate training in 1980/81. There was almost an over emphasis on the pre-motion of the block. The "pointing" on the non-blocking hand, and the importance of hip motion during blocking. As a TKD practitioner for the last 17 yrs. I can say I don't USUALLY see the same "chamber" of these movements. Without these pre block motions, particularly the leading with the non blocking hand, the alternent application become significantly decreased both in number and effectiveness.Anyway, this is just my thinking on the matter:)

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
the high block could be a lifting strike to break the elbow. From a grappling position the mount the high block could be a forearm choke or the start of a scissor choke.
Bob

Good info.. I never looked at it this way before!

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
High blocks for me I realy don't use it much but when I Do use it in sparing I use it with a soft block or I use the High Block when I do the blitz alot

OP
T

TangSooGuy

Atually, I don't think any block is "just" a block. Pretty much any block can be interpreted as a striking or even joint locking technique, depending on the situation and how it is executed.

Additionally, most striking techniques can become blocks.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like the high block to shoot up like a punch. Sraight from whatever position my hands at and no chambering. I just let it go. Anyway if you fire it off like a punch you'll find plenty of power. Once the bridge is formed you can turn it into a grab, and by changing your angle into an arm bar. Just my thoughts.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In Tai Chi there are several movements that have high block movements. The movements are called
Fair Lady Weaves with Shuttle
Stand High to search out the Horse
Fan Back
I am sure there are more and the names are different. This movement they are either attacking Heart 1 which is in armpit.
Triple Warmer 11 at the elbow joint
Or using it to off balance their attacker
Bob:asian:

OP
P

progressivetactics

What excellent discussion points came out of 1 simple question.

What a cool group of people we have here!!

OP
W

wakinaguri

With tai chi in mind don't forget about these.
high pat on horse
playing the harp
wave hands like clouds
brush knee

OP
P

progressivetactics

looks like English.....Really does.....But what the heck are you all talking about?

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics

Many of us block, parry, check and trap in our taught or modified ways. So its easy to MISTAKINGLY think that a basic technique is not effecient.

The techniques that we are most comfortable with are most effecient when we are somewhat facing our opponents. But when we are attacked from our blindside. What becomes the most effecient technique?

A simple upward, in or outward block or something similar.

Not to likely I'm going to trap my opponent who's attacking me from the rear ( and I don't know he's there). I'd be lucky to instintively make the basic block work and work from there.

All blocks have their place and time.

Latest Discussions