Hide and Seek Games... In the Dark.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Geez, the things I come up with. Ok, maybe not original but, anyway a humorous "conversation" on FB got me on this idea. Hide and seek in the dark in your own house, with your family.
Benefits I can think of.
For a Parent/Spouse; it'll teach skills in finding someone in the dark. If you can find them, then an intruder can, eventually. So get in habit of finding them first. You'll know more than one or two places (or more) in each room/area of the house to hide in. There's calm in the reassurance that you will find them fast, particularly little ones. Also the reassurance that they'll be successful in their ability to hide. Particularly if they play the game repeatedly. The child should be able to respond to the parent's voice to know it's time to come out (or by using key words). Also teach them to hide within earshot if possible. Likewise the importance of the length of time it took for you to find them. The longer the better. Reason being that it would take that much longer for an intruder to find them. That much longer of a time for you to either make a phone call, or take action against the intruder.
Likewise it teaches you to move about your own home going from one room to the next without hitting anything, or sliding against the walls (which can be heard). There is no substitute for the element of surprise. Be it made out of wood, steel-lead or your own fists/feet.

For the kids; giving them confidence in their hiding ability during a scary moment, of finding a stranger, is where they're not supposed to be, in your house. Even if you got safe rooms (which is not a bad idea for long term residences--another topic) it may take time to get to it if said stranger is too close to see movement from point a (their bedroom--or anywhere in the house) to point b (safe-room or your bedroom) at least they learn the art of either staying still and choosing the deepest shadows (eliminate a fear of dark too) to melt into. As well as the art of moving silently as they move to point b.

A game that trains. In the dark.

Thoughts? Comments?

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Considering the news story about the girl in Utah that hid from home invaders while she was on the phone with 911, it sounds like a neat game to do with your kids and get some training in w/o scaring them. Just a fun game to do once in a while that teaches a little sensativity to your environment. *Thumbs up*

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not a bad idea.
One I wouldnt really need however, since My Natural Night Vision is ridiculously good.
Blindfolds could work.

For others though, I approve. It also teaches You to be able to move around without being able to see. And being Punched in the Head can do that for a second or two. I think I read once that in Savate Boxing, You need to be able to move around the Ring and lightly Spar whilst Blindfolded.

Latest Discussions