Hi

Kaygee

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was just searching the internet for stuff and found this place. I stuck around and read some threads and decided to sign up.
I am currently studying American Tang Soo Do in Philadelphia, PA and I love it! I am currently 4th gup and I am amazed at how much material is crammed into three months of training.

I started in July of last year. I knew I was old, starting a martial art at 36 years old, but I was determined. I always wanted to do a martial art.

Before I started Tang Soo Do though, I did some research. I found out thru my research, that there are a lot of really bad schools out there. I don't know if it's like this all over the world, but in the central/northern part of my area, nearly every school I went to was not that good, in my opinion.

I'd go to one and the students looked clueless while the instructor stood there just grunting but not showing anyone anything. The one place I went to, I spoke to the instructor about learning Tae Kwon Do. He said he has been doing it for like 20 years or something and offered me some "black belt package". After I went downstairs to see his mother teaching the Tae Kwon Do to her students, I went back upstairs to see the lead instructor teaching a Zumba class.......I left and never looked back.

I went to one place on two separate occasions and both times he promoted the same people to another rank. I asked him if there was a "formal" time line of how long each person should train prior to getting promoted, he told me he knew when his students needed to be promoted and didn't need any guide to tell him. I informed him that I didn't see any one doing any forms while I watched his class. He got really cocky, put himself in a front stance and said "You're never going to win a fight like this, and knowing a form is never going to help you on the street. I'll show you the forms, if you want me to, but I don't believe in them."

Anyway, I searched for about 2 months for a good school. I found a Tae Kwon Do school and went there for about 3 weeks. I honestly thought I hit every school in my area and this was the best it was going to get. But then I found the school I am currently attending. I kid you not people, it was like I strayed into a dream. I want more than just getting a different colored belt when I train in martial arts! I want the focus, discipline and physical benefits that come with it. That is why I am currently studying this art.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hi!! I'd love to get to know some of the people that enjoy martial arts and get as much out of it as I do!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome...

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to MT! Glad to see more practitioners from the MDK lineage on here!

Latest Discussions