hello,
my name is chris and iam a 1 dan in soong moo kwan hapkido
and have been training for the past 5 yrs
i hope to give some advice and help out my fellow martial artist`s
:asian:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am new, too. I used to post at fightauthority.com but the forum change became too confusing. I Study mainly Japanese martial arts, but have an interest in Hapkido. I know it came from Takeda's Aikijutsu, so I think it might work well for me. (I study Bujutsu)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to both of you. I hope you both will feel at home here.
Ask what questions you will .
Chris would you tell us a little about soong moo kwan hapkido I am not fimilar with this system.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Sung Moo Kwan is recognized by both the KHF and the Kido Hae as being the first Hapkido school. It was began by Doju Ji Han Jae, and passed on the Hwang Duk Kyu. Master Julian Lim was appointed head by Hwang Duk Kyu, and that appointment recognized by Kido and KHF. It is the Kwan that I am a member of, and enjoying the training it puts forth.

It means school of martial accomplishment and is romanized several ways. It is not to be confused with the TKD system, which if memory serves means Pine Tree School, but I could be off on that point.

Hope this helps.

OP
B

blackbelt4me

thx`s for the welcome guys
shogun kinda explained it to a point
basicly like aikido,in my stlye we also have kumdo=korean sword
short staff defense
bo
cane<iam doin right now
naunchaks,hard to spell
pressure point strikes
grappling
it`s i at least think a great all around martial art
i still enjoy it and will never give up my training

iron_ox

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in Chicago also, where do you train, out of interest?

Kevin Sogor

OP
B

blackbelt4me

oh wow well i train in westchester
at lions tae kwon do hapkido
master jung kyu cheon
are you close to me??
i live in cicero
where do you train at???

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
blackbelt4me said:
hello,
my name is chris and iam a 1 dan in soong moo kwan hapkido
and have been training for the past 5 yrs
i hope to give some advice and help out my fellow martial artist`s
:asian:

Welcome blackbelt4me, I too am a Korean martial artist. We'll be looking forward to your input... :asian:

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cali,

What kind of TKD do you do? Are you WTF, ITF or other? How long have you been practicing?

Black,

Who do you study with? I have found a noticeable lack of Sung Moo Kwan guys here in the US. I did a google search and only came up with one school, but a busload of SMK TKD... though I also did not go through all the pages, as it was some god-aweful number.

OP
F

fawkesburning

The old KHA is now the Korean New Martial Arts Hapkido Federation. The schools outside of Korea are represented by Jin Pal Hapkido Federation.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also, the Simmudo people are connected. I don't know the exact relationship with them. I can say that the KHA is actually the KHF. There is ample history to show that, so if someone tells you otherwise, just tell them to do the research. All you have to do is run a google search with the following:
korea hapkido federation, korea hapkido association, history

OP
F

fawkesburning

The KHA run by Hwang Duk Kyu is the one I was refering to.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I understand that... but I am clarifying to you that the KHA was actually started by Master Ji, Han Jae who was his teacher. It changed its name circa 1980, but only in English. I have no problem with the new name because it is not misleading. There is also another KHF which is misleading in English but not in Korean. Dae Han means Korea but so does Min Kook. Just in different ways. So the translation is the same. There is an explanation here: http://hapkidokorea.org/english/user_faq.php

I had heard that there have actually been a number of suits between the KHF, and so-called KHA. Master Hal Whalen was actually certified by the KHA before it became the KHF. He would be a good resource to contact for more information.

The reason I point this is out is for clarity. Far too many organizations and teaches do not look into claims enough to realize they have been duped, or in some cases, are simply unaware of history. We owe it to students to pass on accurate history, so in order to do that we must research.

OP
F

fawkesburning

tomato tomahto I was just pointing out that your master's master (lim->Hwang)is now affliated with Kim Jin Pal. I don't care if they call themselves the Super Duper Korean Hapkido Guys. Dosn't affect my life. I just thought that you might want to hook up with them since you were lamenting about the kwan.

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I am an Oh Dan in Sung Moo Kwan. I have never lamented about my Kwan, though I appreciate the concern. I think you must have me mixed up with someone else.

OP
F

fawkesburning

<<have found a noticeable lack of Sung Moo Kwan guys here in the US. I did a google search and only came up with one school,>>

Mabe lamenting was too strong

Kodanjaclay

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think so. Lament implies plaintive, wistful, or dissatisfaction. I made an observation. There are only a few of us. I don't fit in the lament category. Personally, I like being in a small Kwan.

Latest Discussions