hi, i am a totall newbie

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello all willingtohelpmates, i am looking for really experienced martials artists who have an idea or complete view on martial arts in common, because i need some serious help with choosing the best for me. I'm 21 y old, its a bit late to choose a martia art, on which you are going to build your life, so i need one which fits my current life "perfectly". Here are few ideas, what it must not contain: jointlocks, especially wristlocks (cause i'm an artist, and a masseur too,soo any damage to my wrist ends my carrier); punches and kicks. I want a 99% percent SOFT deffensive martial art,evading opponents attack and using its swing/momentum to counterattack, and i would like to get physical strenght. With further commenting i might be able to transfer the whole essence of the martial art im looking for.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and most important welcome to MT.
now as far as arts that fit what you are looking for I'm not sure there are any that do not have at least some of the things you said you do not want.
Aikido might me your best bet. other than that Tai Chi

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. I agree with the other reply. The closest thing might be aikido.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You say it can't contain wrist locks, punches or kicks. You say it's too late at 21 to build for the rest of your life. You say it must be strictly defensive.

I am afraid you've cut your choices down to almost exactly nothing. For the record, I know plenty of professional musicians (drummers, guitarists, keyboardists), professional medical providers (surgical MDs, restorative therapy providers, etc...), trade craftsmen, etc... that have done MAs for as many years, if not a few of them more than me with no ill effects to their hands. It's all about proper training & an open mind.

Give some thought to about what you can do & what's available as opposed to trying to fit absolute restrictions on what you're still looking into just yet.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all willingtohelpmates, i am looking for really experienced martials artists who have an idea or complete view on martial arts in common, because i need some serious help with choosing the best for me. I'm 21 y old, its a bit late to choose a martia art, on which you are going to build your life, so i need one which fits my current life "perfectly". Here are few ideas, what it must not contain: jointlocks, especially wristlocks (cause i'm an artist, and a masseur too,soo any damage to my wrist ends my carrier); punches and kicks. I want a 99% percent SOFT deffensive martial art,evading opponents attack and using its swing/momentum to counterattack, and i would like to get physical strenght. With further commenting i might be able to transfer the whole essence of the martial art im looking for.

1) 21 years old is not particularly late to choose a martial art or begin training.

2) What do you mean by "martial art on which you are going to build your life"? Very few people "build their lives" on their martial arts practice. If you have never trained and have little idea of what martial arts practice involves, then there's not much point in thinking about building your life on your martial arts practice.

3) The list of martial arts that contain no punching, kicking, or wristlocks is very, very small. There are some pure grappling arts (judo, wrestling, and the like) which do not involve wristlocks, but they have at least as much potential for injury as the arts which do and they also don't fit your "pure defense" idea.

4) The idea of a 99% defensive art that relies entirely on evading and using the opponent's force is mostly a fantasy. Aikido might be the closest you can find to that ideal, but they use plenty of wristlocks.

5) I'm a former professional massage therapist. (I got out because I was terrible at self-promotion and being a small business person, but I still do massage for friends and family). I also play guitar, which requires use of my hands. I've been training for over 30 years in arts which involve punching, kicking, and wristlocks without problems. I think you may be overestimating the danger to your career. If you want to be extra-cautious you could avoid the arts that do significant wristlock practice and still have a decent list of arts to choose from.

6) Perhaps if you let us know what your motivations for studying a martial art are, we could give some better suggestions.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
thank you all for your fast and constructive replies. you are all right, its a very strict description, but i have a cloudy image in my mind that i want to release, build; i look at martial arts as self-expression which brings to outside whats chained inside. I will try to paste some videos from youtube about some techniques im interested in, maybe there is a forgotten martial art which fits me =))

hussaf

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know professional artists, massage therapists, surgeons, and concert violinist who all do joint manipulative martial arts.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
My motivation..i have serious inner problem like acute agression, beeing a naturally skinny guy, i want to beat that down, i want to realese and nullify that tension.+ several others, i seek totall inner controll, beat my ego, demons and my own set chains. On the outer part how i said bellow, there is a cloudy image in my mind about what i want to excercise(as martial art). By 99% defensive i ment, that i do not want to start a fight, but i will glady take it, i dont want attacking long range punches and kickes, nor joint locks, i want fast close counter strikes for the attackers movement to send him on the ground, kick its legs to lose its balance.. etc etc, useable on streets and real life.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
i really like the motions at the beginning in this one
(pencak silat) close ranged counter strikes and this at 0:19

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you all for your fast and constructive replies. you are all right, its a very strict description, but i have a cloudy image in my mind that i want to release, build; i look at martial arts as self-expression which brings to outside whats chained inside. I will try to paste some videos from youtube about some techniques im interested in, maybe there is a forgotten martial art which fits me =))

If you are interested in self-expression rather than anything combative, then you are really looking for dance rather than a martial art. Maybe contact improv would be a good place to start.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i really like the motions at the beginning in this one
(pencak silat) close ranged counter strikes and this at 0:19

Pencak Silat has plenty of punching and kicking, including in the clips you just posted.

If you are primarily drawn to the beauty of the movement rather than the actual application, then you can probably find a school that focuses on the performance aspects of the forms rather than their original intended usage. The serious martial artists on this forum tend to complain about schools like that, but if it makes you happy, then go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

So are you nearby some area that has a vast variety of martial arts to choose from? Your ability to learn an art will be dictated by what instruction is available to you, it does you little good to find some art or some subset of some art that meets your needs but then find that there is only one instructor in the country teaching it and you are 2000 miles from that location.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
i view massage as self expression too, same as martial art, i have something that i want to release, excercise, and polish till its "perfect" thats what self expression to me is. Yes there are punches and kicks but see the actual movement i want to show in the 1st video 0:08 and 0:19 in the other, this is what i seek, and as i mentioned above i want to actualy is it if necesary on streets, these are the two the inner and the outer parts of my martial art.

OP
J

J0c3r

White Belt
Reaction score
So are you nearby some area that has a vast variety of martial arts to choose from? Your ability to learn an art will be dictated by what instruction is available to you, it does you little good to find some art or some subset of some art that meets your needs but then find that there is only one instructor in the country teaching it and you are 2000 miles from that location.

Yes, im living in a capital, so there are quite a lot.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, im living in a capital, so there are quite a lot.

Then the best thing to do is go out & touch what all you can without preconceived notions or pigeon holes. See what's there & what works for you by trying rather than thinking.

Your body will tell you much better than your mind or imagination.

Takai

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Like Tony I was also LMT for a number of years and at the time I trained in both Aikido and Kenpo. Never had an issue with being to apply my trade due to an injury during training.

You keep talking about self expression. Until you have a solid grasp and understanding of the basics self-expression is simply just a way for you to get hit easier. Go try out some schools, find one you like and focus on what they are teaching you. Self-expression comes much further down the road.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Find a sport oriented JUDO dojo. They wont teach much of the kicks and punches and wrist locks since they are not allowed in competition but if you need to use it in real life throwing someone on the hard ground tends to take the fight out of an attacker HOWEVER I think by excluding strikes your going to have a huge hole in your defense.

Latest Discussions