Here is a hypothetical situation

OP
SFC JeffJ

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I completely agree with you kenpotex. Once a person commits unwarranted acts of violence against another person, he forfeits his rights as a human as far as I'm concerned. Under the law, yes, criminals have rights. But when you are attacked, the judicial system is not there. When someone tries to physically harm you, you know, without a doubt, that person is guilty. If his blood is pooling on the ground, you have not only protected yourself. You've protected his future victims as well. I work with convicted criminals, many of them have violent crimes on their records. They do not deserve compassion from civilized people.

Jeff

(edit for spelling)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
If his blood is pooling on the ground, you have not only protected yourself. You've protected his future victims as well.

This is exactly the idea behind Yagyu Munenori's Life-Giving Sword. Funny how an old, traditional Iaido philosophy has found it's way into a modern, hypothetical scenario. :supcool:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Off course this is just a "Hypotheltical situation". No two incidents will be the same...when the time comes...it might be a good ideal to run and escape...intincts and awareness...will be your judge here..

I am more incline to help...just me..thank-you for your thoughts here...everyone will be judge later...including me...Aloha

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
If his blood is pooling on the ground, you have not only protected yourself. You've protected his future victims as well. I work with convicted criminals, many of them have violent crimes on their records. They do not deserve compassion from civilized people.
Excellent point.

knifeboy

White Belt
Reaction score
BlackCatBonz said:
so you would rather run away?

It's not that simple. I'm leaving 1) for my own protection and 2) because i don't want to deal with the cops... not running just leaving after an attack that i didn't ask for and no longer want to deal with...

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
knifeboy said:
It's not that simple. I'm leaving 1) for my own protection and 2) because i don't want to deal with the cops... not running just leaving after an attack that i didn't ask for and no longer want to deal with...

OK, this is a simple hypothetical situation..........everyone starts blowing it up.

I dont care about thwarting an attack from the person's friends.

Plain and simple, You just finished beating the hell out of someone, who knows why? they pushed you or started to act in a threatening manner.
You maybe went a little too far......now they are laying there unconscious. No friends present, but a few witnesses.
You turn tail and run?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
I have to agree with this statement. if the attacker was threatening my life and or safety I do not know if I would help him when he was down. i certianly would no if i knew he would live.
Calling 911 is an option so is just getting the hell out of there if there where no witnesses

This is a good point. It looks like we're at an interesting point here. So far, it seems like we have don't call and leave, call and stay, and call and leave. We all know that in todays world, it seems as if the bad guy, the one who tried to rob you, kill you, hurt someone with you, can turn around and sue because YOU injured them! Well, IMO, I didn't tell this guy to try to mug me, he did it on his own!

If there are witnesses, to them, it could look like we were the agressor, when in fact, it was the opposite.

I'd probably be more inclined to report it, regardless of if I stay or leave the area. Nothing says I can't drive to the PD to report it. Then again, I also think that it'd be wise to watch how much force is being used. Overkill could very well get us in more trouble that we originally had.

Mike

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am just amazed. I read lots of people's opinions and I love some and can't understand others.

If a person comes at you with intent to harm/kill you...What is in it for you to show some kind of love and compassion after disarming/breaking/knocking out that person? I am gonna have to quote a little godfather here.

"...In this world there are those that wish to be killed. You read about them everyday in the paper. These are people that will ask for death by going after those they have no idea of their capabilies. It's like they yell "Someone please kill me." They for little regard of their situation or no backup will do things in an attempt to be killed. And there are always those that will ablidge that request. Luca Brossi was such a man... "

If people ask for it, they will get it. I just can't imagine being in a position where I am forced to actually use my skills to injure another person. But I am prepared to use them all. It's just like needing to use a gun while pulling the trigger with the safety on.

You have all the rights and need to end that person's attempt to injure you or your loved ones as fast as possible. IF that person who came at you gets injured to the point of needing a trip to the hospital, its a lesson he will never forget. It was his/her choice to come after you, not yours. So where is the burden of needing to assist someone that wanted to kill you just a moment ago if they are injured/knocked out/dying in the street? Granted if the guy is actually dying I would want to help, how is that person gonna reflect on their actions if they are dead?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
I am just amazed. I read lots of people's opinions and I love some and can't understand others.

If a person comes at you with intent to harm/kill you...What is in it for you to show some kind of love and compassion after disarming/breaking/knocking out that person? I am gonna have to quote a little godfather here.

"...In this world there are those that wish to be killed. You read about them everyday in the paper. These are people that will ask for death by going after those they have no idea of their capabilies. It's like they yell "Someone please kill me." They for little regard of their situation or no backup will do things in an attempt to be killed. And there are always those that will ablidge that request. Luca Brossi was such a man... "

If people ask for it, they will get it. I just can't imagine being in a position where I am forced to actually use my skills to injure another person. But I am prepared to use them all. It's just like needing to use a gun while pulling the trigger with the safety on.

You have all the rights and need to end that person's attempt to injure you or your loved ones as fast as possible. IF that person who came at you gets injured to the point of needing a trip to the hospital, its a lesson he will never forget. It was his/her choice to come after you, not yours. So where is the burden of needing to assist someone that wanted to kill you just a moment ago if they are injured/knocked out/dying in the street? Granted if the guy is actually dying I would want to help, how is that person gonna reflect on their actions if they are dead?

Speaking for myself here...I guess i'm just looking at it from a legal aspect. If I was assaulted, I'm certainly going to want the police involved. I never said that I would provide hands-on care myself. The last thing I want, is someone witnessing this, seeing me leave, having no idea as to what really happened, assume I was the attacker, and next thing I know, I'm being hauled off to jail.

It would be nice if a LEO or Lawyer chimed in here, so we could get some feedback from a legal aspect.

Mike

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
It would be nice if a LEO or Lawyer chimed in here, so we could get some feedback from a legal aspect.

Good call on that one, I'm a little curious to the amount of care that must be taken as well.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
beau_safken said:

As others have stated and also myself, I did it for self defense and because while he was trying to hurt me, I would do anything to stop him. When it is over, then other decisions must be made.

Situation: I was about to be punt kicked in the face and so I stepped in to break the the hold but was off balance and came up under his legs. When I stood up I could not support him and was still off balance so I fell, and he hit his head into the ashphalt. While some were screaming because his neck was at a wierd angle, and others were saying I did not have to pile drive him into the ground, I realized he was not breathing. I pinch his nose to see if it would reflex open his mouth. He did not. I then opened his mouth and saw his tongue in the back of it. I took a pen out of my pocket and moved his tongue so he could breath. I did not move the angle of his neck.

I had yelled for others to get an ambulance. His friends came running up saying you do nothave to stab him in the mouth now? I told them not to move him and yet they picked him up and his head just rolled. I had vomit in my throat already for thinking I had killed the guy just minutes before and seeing that did not help. I just walked away and waited for the police and ambulance.

The RMT told me I saved his life. The police also were willing to listen to my side of the story and also the witnesses instead of just cuffing me and taking me to jail.

Weeks later after he was out of the hospital and he was walking just fine (* no permanent neck problems *) he came up to my place of work again and apologized to me and thanked me for saving his life. For the EMT's made sure he knew that the guy he started a fight with had ended the fight and him with it. But I took action and he was able to learn from his mistakes.

Each situation is different. I grant that. I am not condemning anyone for their thoughts or how they think they will react, I am jsut explaining how I reacted and why.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ahh that helps to see that one in a different light for sure. Damn well if the guy wasn't breathing and no longer a threat...I would sure do something to get him breathing again. I saw the part about the pen and his tongue, but not the stop breathing part. I really can see doing something if it went that far for sure.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rick Wade said:
MJS said:
I would probably be more inclined to call the police and ems to provide the care.

Mike

I am with you on this one.

V/R

Rick

I agree that calling the police and EMT's are the best way to go.

Suntail

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to think that I'd stick around and help until the police and EMTs arive. Given, I'd stay as much out of contact with blood as I could while keeping them alive. I'd also insure they weren't going to get back at me while I was helping them, after they stabilized. I think it would prove that you weren't out to hurt someone if you helped them, so it doesn't become a he said, she said thing later (if there were no witnesses).
Along the lines of tactics, I assume that every encounter is a multiple opponent situation until proven otherwise. I figure that some muggers, rapists, whatever, would have lookouts. A person looking for a fight could have friends that they're trying to prove something to. If they're lying incapacitated on the ground then, if I find myself in a tight spot with their friends, I do have a potential hostage.

Just my two cents.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
if they were hurt, 911 for cops and medicare. if it was takeing too long, and i thought the person might die if i didn't do something, i might. i geuss it all depends.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
All relax. If it were for real and you were suddenly attacked, you would defend yourself, and get away. You wouldn't look back, probably. You'd be a mental mess, not thinking clearly, as you go into a subconscious mind set. When you come back on line, it will be away from the scene and after the fact, as the adrenaline levels begin to decrease. There's no thinking, just acting, for real.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The farthest I would go would be to call 911. I wuld not give first aid to someone who forced me to do something to them that would require professional medical help.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you injured someone who attacked you and seriously injured him/her, would you feel it necessary to provide first aide?

For the sake of this discussion, lets assume you are morally and legally in the clear.

Jeff

Yes, I would and there are two reasons for this that I have learned.

First, it shows that I am in control of myself and actions and to witnesses and possibley a jury of my peers in the short future, I am sympathetic towards my attacker, that will go along way towards any future problems for even if I am legally justified in my actions, criminal and civil legallities are two separate things.

Second - It would just be the right thing to do in my view.

Now personally, would I feel bad, probably not depending on the circumstances for that's not me, but in todays society, it's better to be alittle savy then totally uncaring even if he/she deserved every bit of that butt whoopin.

Latest Discussions