help

yellow_jello

White Belt
Reaction score
Im looking for something new to do ive wrestled for 2 years and had some conflict..I am 16 is it too late to start something like tae kwon do and be successful? Im really dedicated and willing to work hard if it isnt too late.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good lord I hope not! I was around 30 when I finally found a place I liked and strarted to really train. Drop over to the meet and greet section and post a bit more about yourself! Welcome to Martial Talk by the way, there are tons of great people here and they are very willing to give valuable insights.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it is never too late to start any Martial Art program. All it takes is dedication and you seem to have it.

By the way hello and happy posting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What they said - many is the time I've wished I started in high school instead of college. It is never too late to try to learn about something you're interested in. Good luck, and I look forward to hearing more about what you decide and what you learn.

OP
Y

yellow_jello

White Belt
Reaction score
thanks a lot for the encouragement everyone i appreciate it.
thanks for the welcoming to the site im glad that i stumbled across this site.
I am already trying to get loose again (its been a year since the last year i wrestled) and trying to watch videos to get the basics down so when i actually start class ill just be that much further

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You are NEVER too old..Age is just a number, IGNORE it....Every week various martial arts publication have stories of those who did not start until their 60's....

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
.I am 16 is it too late to start something like tae kwon do and be successful?

Jeezuz, where do kids get this notion?

The martial arts were originally never for kids. They were serious combat methods for adults. The idea that you must start by age 3 or it's too late is just blisteringly bizarre. The widespread entrance of children into the martial arts is something very very recent.

Get involved, hope you have a great journey.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by "successful." Fight at the Olympic level? maybe. But maybe not. For any other thing in Taekwondo....certainly not. Welcome to MT, BTW!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Im looking for something new to do ive wrestled for 2 years and had some conflict..I am 16 is it too late to start something like tae kwon do and be successful? Im really dedicated and willing to work hard if it isnt too late.
Sixteen isn't too young, ideally you should have been doing it since you were five, but we can't control our childhoods.
Sean

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'll second everyone else's heck no. You may even find the TKD helps you with your wrestling and the other way around, my 15 year old son has.

tkd_Jaz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No way is that too late! I started when I was 17 when I finally could afford to pay for classes myself since my parents never really wanted me to do MA when I was a child. Now after 2.5 awesome years I will be testing for 1st Dan on december. I say go for it!

Kennedy_Shogen_Ryu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There was one student who started training with my instructor when he was 70. He must be one of the most spry people I've ever met. He does mostly private classes because he can't keep up but man, I saw him hitting the makiwara the one day, he must have been at it for 20 min before he gave up, and he was hitting it hard.

Point of my winded story, I agree with what everyone else has said, there's no such thing as "too old to start martial arts".

FieldDiscipline

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We've an excellent chap who is over fifty and got his 1st dan this year. Its all good. At that age of course you get stiffer I think, but 16? A good age to start.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
No, 16 is not too late. I had wrestled for 12 years and did not start into eastern martial arts until i was 18. Give it a good strong go and train hard. Good luck!

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Taekwondo is a great choice! I've been doing it since 94 and loved every bit....well most of it! There are students over 50 that have started and have done really well at our school. You'll do fine. Make sure to practice and work hard like you said. Good books to compliment your training can be found at www.amazon.com. (I'd post the actual links but my IE wont let me copy and paste, sorry).

Do a search for Richard Chun; his advancing in taekwondo and "taekwondo" books are excellent. Those two books will probably be all you ever need for taekwondo, unless you are are doing ITF taekwondo.

Stretching Scientifically by Tom Kurz is great for stretching. He gives you a proper stretching routine, how to stretch, when to stretch etc...

I'd even recommend Billy Blanks Tae Bo Bootcamp elite with resistance bands as a good compliment to tae kwon do training. I won't elaborate unless you are interested.

Laaastly, don't take it too serious. Train hard; practice hard like I'm sure you will, but be ready to laugh at your mistakes and keep on practicing. Just remember to enjoy yourself!

Latest Discussions