HELP WITH SCHOOL: Boxing

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok you guys I am in my High school and I gotta write a paper on something Hispanic and I want to do it on Martial Arts in Hispanic countries. But it has been difficult finding something to write about. My first Idea was Oscar Delohoya, but all I found where ads. Please help with any links or info you may have.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried google already and all I got where the ads

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Ok you guys I am in my High school and I gotta write a paper on something Hispanic and I want to do it on Martial Arts in Hispanic countries. But it has been difficult finding something to write about. My first Idea was Oscar Delohoya, but all I found where ads. Please help with any links or info you may have.
Well if you don't care about Style write about The Lopez's you know he won both the 2000 and 2004 Olympic gold medal in Tae Kwon Do, Just put in Jean Lopez Gold medalist in your search engine it will pull it up. GOD BLESS AMERICA

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Looked him up...he is American, and I have to talk about a Spainsh Speaking Country.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sin said:
Looked him up...he is American, and I have to talk about a Spainsh Speaking Country.
Try Master Bill Zipapolis from Puerto Rico he holds alot of records and is a top Instructor he holds the Los Galitos Championship every March and if you go to Tekno website and find the Tekno team tournament it is there. He is a wonderful man.

K

KenpoGirl

Sin said:
A friend of mine who is not a member of MT but read it asked me for post the following links for you;

http://www.askmen.com/men/mar00/16_oscar_de_la_hoya.html

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/DeLaHoya_Oscar.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1883845580/002-3381891-7937621?v=glance

I hope this helps you.

KG
:)

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
I believe that Benny the Jet Urquidez would be a possible, The Gracie family (latino/Brazilian culture).

You could also contact/interview local MA instructors that are or have a Hispanic population in class.

What is the focus of your writing? What are you trying to say about Martial arts and Hispanics as a 'theme' or controlling idea?

Depending on length, development and depth, you might want to do some research on the "latin/hispanic school of boxing" so to speak.

There is a signature style/character to 'latin boxers' that makes them distinct from other boxing systems. Linking that to the cultural characteristics of Hispanic culture (especially 'manliness') would be a good focus for the writing.

Uh Oh, the English teacher language is coming out RUNNNNNNN!

V

Vadim

Not sure if you can draw on Spanish influence on other cultures, but I believe that the Spanish culture had an influence on Filipino martial arts since Spain use to have a large presence in the Phillipines. Might be worth checking out.
-Vadim

KajuMom

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I recently attended a kajukenbo seminar where Grand Master Angel Garcia of Spain was one of the instructors. Very impressive, IMVHO. Here is his bio from Kajukenbo Cafe:

Angel Garcia was born in Spain on August 26, 1956. Angel began his Kajukenbo training in the 70's under the instruction of Sifu Ed Shepard. Shepard was a black belt from the Al Reyes line who was assigned to Spain while in the U.S. Air Force. Garcia acheived the rank of black belt before Shepard was transferred back to the states.

When Sifu Shepard died in a car accident, Garcia lost his only contact with Kajukenbo for many years. (He was the only Kajukenbo black belt in Spain).

In the 80s, when Panther Productions released their Kajukenbo tape series with Professor Gary Forbach, Garcia immediately bought them. At the end of the tapes was contact information for Prof. Forbach. Angel contacted Prof. Forbach and re-established the connection between himself and the Kajukenbo Ohana.

Over the years Prof. Garcia has made many trips to the United States to train and visit with Prof. Forbach, Sijo Emperado, and the late Prof. Halbuna.

Besides his Kajukenbo training, Angel has studied other arts, and is known for his strong jujitsu techniques.

Angel has written 2 books on Kajukenbo, and starred in many videos on Kajukenbo.

He is the European director for the K.S.D.I. and has established 29 schools in Spain, France, Switzerland, Monaco, and Belgium.

He also makes a mean sangria! orale!

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do Luta Livre. or any of the native arts, and a little history on them. do you have to do a person? there is a list of arts in the western arts section on this site.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
You might also consider writing your paper on classical Spanish fencing. There's lots of history there, so maybe it's easier to research.

If you have access to a large library (like a college-size one), you may want to look for a 2-volume encyclopedia set entitled Martial Arts of the World, edited by Thomas A. Green. If you can name a cultural martial art that isn't mentioned in there, my hat is off to you.