Hello

Y

yochi

Hello, I have browsed these forums every once in a while, never bother registering. I did Kaizen Shotokan Karate for a month, and American Kenpo for a year.

American Kenpo is a great martial arts and my instructor was phenomenal, but I was looking for something not just for the streets, but fighting in tournaments, and so forth. Currently I am investigating to find a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu school, but alas, Washington sucks!

Well nice to meet you all, and I plan to stick around.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome yochi! I look forward to your posts and I hope you find what you are looking for! :wavey:

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, yochi. I'm sure you'll find info here on whatever you'd like.

OP
Y

yochi

Danke for wilkommen.

Ok, I am hearing now that BJJ is just for sport, and not very effective in a real life, war situation? If I saw two thugs beating someone out on the street, would my BJJ be ineffective against these people?

What is a good, fierce, martial arts? I want to do competitions, but I also want a martial arts that could work in a real world situation. Any suggestions?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
yochi said:
Danke for wilkommen.

Ok, I am hearing now that BJJ is just for sport, and not very effective in a real life, war situation? If I saw two thugs beating someone out on the street, would my BJJ be ineffective against these people?

What is a good, fierce, martial arts? I want to do competitions, but I also want a martial arts that could work in a real world situation. Any suggestions?

First off, Welcome to Martial Talk!! Enjoy your stay!

As for your question. There are many techniques from BJJ that can be applied standing. Of course, some slight modifications may need to be made, but against mult. attackers, the last place that you want to be is on the ground!

What Martial Arts are in your area? I suggest finding ones that interest you and check them out. Watch or take a class, talk to the students and instructor, etc. From that point, decide what you like the best. Watch another class or two, and if its something that you really like, join up!

Mike

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome!

I study BJJ and find it useful, but I do it as an adjunct to arnis. There are many standing techniques--for the clinch, for takedowns, against various grabs and holds, etc. Pair it with Muay Thai/JKD/etc. for a good solid system!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard! Check out the various styles on this board and ask questions of each and see which one you feel would fit your needs closest then look for a school that teaches that art within a distance from home that you'd feel like traveling two or three times a week. Happy hunting.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad you decided to register and start posting Yochi. :)
Welcome!

OP
Y

yochi

Like I said, Washington sucks. There isn't many MA around here unless I want zu travel 1 hour and 20 minutes ein DAY. If someone wouldn't mind, would you look for ein martial arts school in Puyallup, Washington area? Danke.

Auf Wiedersehen, alle!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Puyallup? Wow. No, I don't know of any BJJ schools in that area, but if you're willing to venture to Yacolt/Amboy, we'd be happy to roll with you a bit, do some self-defense, tactical, weaponry, etcetera.

Oh yeah, and welcome to MT!

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
yochi said:
Like I said, Washington sucks. There isn't many MA around here unless I want zu travel 1 hour and 20 minutes ein DAY. If someone wouldn't mind, would you look for ein martial arts school in Puyallup, Washington area? Danke.

Washington does NOT suck! :) I consider Seattle home, I just happen to live in Wyoming right now.

Right off the top of my head the only instructors that I know of in Puyallup are the Tapecs, who teach a Kajukenbo offshoot and Doce Pares escrima. All of younger Tapecs are great sport karate and tournament stick fighters, so if that is the kind of competition you are looking for, you might like it. I haven't seen Sigung Tapec for seven years or so, but it looks like the family is still teaching.
http://jtapec.tripod.com/index.html

Marcelo Alonso (BJJ) has one of his schools in Puyallup, at least according to his website.
http://www.geocities.com/marceloalonsobjj/

Good luck with your search,

Lamont

The only other suggestion

Agrosch

White Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Welcome!

I study BJJ and find it useful, but I do it as an adjunct to arnis. There are many standing techniques--for the clinch, for takedowns, against various grabs and holds, etc. Pair it with Muay Thai/JKD/etc. for a good solid system!
Yes indeed,
Welcome to the boards!

Or look for a TKD school that also incorperates this. They do exist. As a yellowbelt I know 6-7 different ways to take peopel down, and I also have all my striking and street effective moves. If you can't find one, I'd look for maybe an Aikido school? As they incorperate, well some anyways, more striking. Or you could always do what Arnisador suggests.

OP
Y

yochi

Well, I am really thankful for all your guys help. I'll check out those schools in the Puyallup area, nice to Auf Wiedersehen, alle.

Latest Discussions